Bubble Free Latex Casting / Pouring?

fredward

Hi guys, so, flashing - it's the one sticking point I've found with mask making so far.
The problem is that I've been painting on a layer of latex before putting my mold together (to stop bubbles) and then pouring - this works great, but when I dremel the latex later the top 'skin' (1st layer) comes apart. The only solution would appear to be to make it in one, pouring it into the mold and hoping for no bubbles - I was hoping you good people might have some tips for bubbles free pouring?
Thankyou,
Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
You can definitly do a detail coating of latex in the mold. I would never let that detail coating dry tho.

This is my method.

I take a chip brush and a spray bottle of water. I spray the entire mold surface to get it wet. Not too wet tho, just enough so that the surface is moist.

I then brush in a layer of latex with the chip brush. Getting it into all the detail. Try not to push any air bubbles around.
THen while the detail coat is freshly wet, I do my regular pour and let the latex dwell. Sometimes if the mold is small enough I tap it off the floor a couple times and slap my fists off it to jostle any air bubbles left.

Doing all of these things I get really good castings.

ive used the flapwheel sanding bit ..i always feel im erasing to much detail thats near the seam ..so much easier to keep it close and sculpt in the remaining detail with a tool, water, sponge and patch

Ever cut a turkey with a band saw? Amazing results. I prefer to use my Bosch Bulldog when making mashed potatoes; makes 'em extra creamy...

I may actually pull out my electric eraser from my drafting days and see who that fairs with a seam (serious). Quite a small head on the eraser and quite precise. Though, tad worried the rubber on rubber will start a fire...

Anywho, back to topic, per the Mark Alfrey molding video, he pours a small amount of latex in the mold, sloshes it to coat it, immediately drains the latex and then spritzes with water and quickly drains that and then fills it full for a 1 hour dwell. Yet to see anyone on here actually use that method, though...

thankyou for all the replies so far! maybe it's relevant that I'm using MonsterMakers Latex (RD-407) and adding a colorant to it before pouring. I'll certainly try the techniques mentioned here and post an update soon.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back