BTTF2 - Marty's 2015 Jacket

Quick update here...

Still working on the rubberized fabric.
No one carries this exact pattern that I've been able to find but I am now waiting on a quote from a manufacturer that is considering replicating it.

This is what I've sent around for reference. creamedgeezer whatever you do dont delete your folder....those pics are exactly what I'll need to do this accurately. Thanks for the links!

pocketarea.jpg

So...
Still working on it.....but no real concrete updates just yet.
Just wanted you guys to know I havent forgotten about this...but it's definately my most challenging to date getting the proper materials wise...
icon_frown.gif

David

jawdrop.gif

NICE refrence folder. DO NOT delete it!!! I am starting to think we are going the wrong way with looking for a fabric to match this jacket. i am starting to think we need to look at Rubber Flooring material. I don't think it is a fabric. I think it is a material NOT used for clothes but industrial products like rubber mats. Just a thought.

I think the black/grey material like on that pocket pic is the background material the diamond "studs" are attached. look at this pic... it is not brick red diamonds sewn onto a grey material, I believe it is a diamond pattern "ending" at the grey amterial. the edges of the pockets are PART of the rest, NOT sewn on....

pic8gb.jpg

thanks to http://imageshack.us/ for the pic hosting

if we can figger this thing out, I am SOOOOO game to by one.

At first I too believed that the grey material was what the red rubber is printed onto but I no longer think so.

The grey material is much too thick and seems very rigid where as the red rubber is printed onto something that allows it to flow nicely and bend like fabric. Just look at the chest....still mine is only a guess and with the help of your image it certainly brings attention to this detail.

Typically when rubberized fabrics are made they coat an existing cotton fabric so that the rubber holds strong and wont rip...all the while retaining it's natural qualities. I think...and I say again 'I THINK' that the grey areas are another fabric entirely.
The Red rubber is printed onto a grey cotton so you see it through the red diamonds....
The red rubber for the pocket is glued and sewn onto a grey patch that is slightly bigger than the red...that's why we see the grey stick out.

However...

At this point we're still trying to figure this all out....why did they have to use a fabric like this?????? Couldnt they have used something easier to replicate darnit!

David

you make aGREAT point. I am still hooked on the fact that they didn't find a normal fabric used on clothes for this. I feel they "stumbled" onto some amazing (yet weak) material not use dfor clothes touse for the jacket. the screen used stuff is falling apart because it is not made for that.

at this point, I am almost convinced they took a grey amterial, put a diamond mesh over it, sprayed layer upon layer of rubber over it, and pulle dthe mesh away. Voila, your material. I just don't think this is a material used for clothes.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Jack Bauer wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
you make aGREAT point. I am still hooked on the fact that they didn't find a normal fabric used on clothes for this. I feel they "stumbled" onto some amazing (yet weak) material not use dfor clothes touse for the jacket. the screen used stuff is falling apart because it is not made for that.

at this point, I am almost convinced they took a grey amterial, put a diamond mesh over it, sprayed layer upon layer of rubber over it, and pulle dthe mesh away. Voila, your material. I just don't think this is a material used for clothes.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth. I also think they used this material for its "jacket fabric from the future" apearance. Since the jackets were not made to last, there was nothing holding the production back from using a material that was not meant to be worn.

Yeah, the orange dots are created on some sort of thin, flexible backing layer, which is separate from the thicker solid grey material. Looks unmistakeable to me.

On the pocket, the orange dot/backing material layer is cut slightly smaller than the solid grey layer to expose some of the grey for contrast. The orange dots aren't imprinted onto the thicker solid grey layer.

The closest thing I've encountered in my life to the orange dot material is the soft rubber mechanics' tool box drawer liner material, but the stuff I've seen is more like a checkerboard with openings all the way through where the 'white squares' would be, and I've never seen it in any color besides black. It's not created like these closely-spaced orange dots.

OK....

Followed up on all my leads for the rubber fabric and I've hit a dead end...
icon_frown.gif

The one supplier who would make it makes rubberized fabrics for Todd's shoes and they asked a minimum of 400 meters at approx $40.00 a meter...plus set up fee's, you do the math....

Each jacket will have approx 1.20 meters of red rubber so I'd have to stock a heck of a lot of rubberized material.

This is a shame....but I dont want to give up on this. Let's keep digging and see if we cant figure out a suitable alternative.

I hate being beaten...and I hate not being able to do something so let's keep searching.
The grey'sh material on the jacket is no big deal at all so it all boils down to the red rubber...

RED RUBBER RED RUBBER RED RUM RED RUM.....

David

David

I have been following this thread as I really love these jackets and wouldn't mind having one.
icon_smile.gif

I wonder in regards to replicating this and assuming the people that want one would be wearing it and not just displaying it, (I know I'd like to wear it!), I would think you might sacrifice "exact screen used accuracy" in favor of having something that would last. With that thought, I would be concerned about using rubber as that is going to wear out or crack with extended wear.

David, I know you do a LOT with leather, is there anything from that aspect that might be a suitable substitute? Maybe a "man made" pleather type? I would think it would last a lot longer and be more durable as well.

Just a thought.
icon_smile.gif

-B89!
icon_biggrin.gif

That's a great idea I think.

What do the rest of you guys think?
It might open some new possibilities....I sure didnt think of this.

David

As long as it looks like the real deal I think I'd be happy.

(but I would prefer some kind of rubber)

Is there a way the original movie jacket makers can be tracked down? Someone here must know someone who can lead us to someone who knows. Someone check the credits at the end of BTTF2.

The red stuff looks just like the stuff I used to line my kitchen drawers. I think I bought the stuff at Walmart.

Robert

Jeff,
I had that photo of yours of the pocket as my computer wallpaper for about a week not too long ago just to burn it into my skull.

I am starting to think they made this material. This isn't something you can just buy.

I too thought of the idea of using the Plastic part that covers the lights in an office building. Using it as a mold for orange rubber. I tried this but did not have a good rubber. I just used the rubber that comes in a can that you dip you tool's handles into. Called grip it or something. I used the black paper they use for roofing or shingling. Poored the rubber, let it dry about 5 minutes, put the paper over it, put a heavy book on top of that.

It was at this point I realized I forgot to put any kind of release agent onto the plastic first.

So this project never got done.

pic6rh.jpg

Originally posted by Jack Bauer@Apr 15 2005, 06:38 PM
Jeff,
I had that photo of yours of the pocket as my computer wallpaper for about a week not too long ago just to burn it into my skull.

I am starting to think they made this material.  This isn't something you can just buy.

I too thought of the idea of using the Plastic part that covers the lights in an office building.  Using it as a mold for orange rubber.  I tried this but did not have a good rubber.  I just used the rubber that comes in a can that you dip you tool's handles into.  Called grip it or something.  I used the black paper they use for roofing or shingling.  Poored the rubber, let it dry about 5 minutes, put the paper over it, put a heavy book on top of that.

It was at this point I realized I forgot to put any kind of release agent onto the plastic first.

So this project never got done.

pic6rh.jpg

[snapback]966309[/snapback]​

I too believe they made this stuff exclusively for the film jacket.
Still...you're really onto something there...certainly more than I've found. Pretty cool what you came up with.

I'm wondering if just making a leather print along with tinting and staining the skins appropriately would be sufficient at this point.

David

Wow, very cool, i think we are getting close.

And David. As long as it looks the part, I'll take anything :D

I'm all excited again, hehe.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back