BTTF2 - Marty's 2015 Jacket

Atarian

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After numerous attempts (you guys have probably all seen my threads here), I have found someone that may be interested in making this jacket. But in order to do so, we need all the info on the jacket that is available. Also, if anyone else is interested in possibly picking one up when and if they are made, we would need to know, because if it does get made, it wouldn't be a one piece deal, there would have to be a certain ammount of interest in the piece first.

If anyone has info please PLEASE speak up
icon_smile.gif

<.-- BBCode auto-link start -->http://www.jeffcohost.com/bttf2jacket/reference/<.-- BBCode auto-link end --> this is my collection of reference material.

I got to see Jim Lattas BTTF2 marty jacket about ten years ago. It broke my heart to see the orange rubber material cracked and torn in areas. I dont think it was taken care of. It may have been tossed in a box too many times but it appeared to be fairly fragile. It would be awesome to see a replica of these though.

Anyone ever find a close pattern for the orange material? I know we had talked earlier about it being close to the texture of those non-slip mats you can buy...

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
kapow wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Anyone ever find a close pattern for the orange material? I know we had talked earlier about it being close to the texture of those non-slip mats you can buy...
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I'm working on it....
icon_smile.gif

David

Ive been in contact with all the major rubber mat and sheet dealers. and even spoke with some EVA foam manufacturers (i saw some foam with a similar pattern) and nobody has any leads. I'm hoping David can come up with something.

I do have enough of the correct material to make a 2015 hat. I just need someone that can do it for me
icon_smile.gif

It was my understanding that SEVERAL years ago Universal Studios offered a replica of these jackets for a very limited time. I'm spoken to many reliable sources that say this is true though I have yet to find proof of this myself.

I know about that hat, but I need dead on accuracy, I think it's some kind of obsessive compulsive thing I have, lol.

The things I dont like about that hat:

Material looks too dark
Has that button thing on top
Holes all around it
Not Fitted

I've been researching this fabric or the possibility of having it made since speaking to Creamedgeezer about a week ago.
Since then I've been on the phone with dozens of different manufactures of rubber like materials and fabrics all over the world and unfortunately nothing yet.

Several are confident that they can faithfully reproduce it while others believe to have similar items in their older catalogues. I'm waiting to see what similar really means....
icon_smile.gif

Either way...this jacket is now in my blood...so, I gotta have it....which means I'm working on it. It's not a difficult pattern to make, the actual jacket that is but getting this fabric is proving difficult....if I get 'it' or something similar...I'll post pics and we can all discuss it.

It all hangs on the red rubber pattern now...I find that and this Jacket is as good as done!
If anyone has any leads or suggestions please let us know.

Damn...once I get the jacket made I'll need one of those Delorian time machines to go with it.......
icon_smile.gif

David

I got the chance to see some of the screen-used jackets about 3 years ago. They were falling appart. Whatever material they were made off, it would be a mistake to use it again.

GuntahKela wrote:
I got the chance to see some of the screen-used jackets about 3 years ago. They were falling appart. Whatever material they were made off, it would be a mistake to use it again.

I dont know.....maybe, maybe not.
A few things to consider though.....

We in the prop community strive for several things....accuracy and quality first and foremost. We're all collectors and understand the value of whatever prop it is we hold dear to our hearts. We know how to display, wear and maintain our items in ways that those in the film industry 'sometimes' do not....for whatever reason.
How many screen used pieces have rotted away because they were displayed in storefront windows??

Bottom line is this......let's see FIRST if we can find the original rubber/fabric. Then we can discuss and analize it to death. No one, not me or anyone else wants an accurate Jacket that will fall apart but the few jackets that have been seen in person IN MY OPINION were probably just never cared for properly once filming was over. We all know how screen used pieces need to be cared for....whatever they may be.
Clothing is no different....treat it with respect and it'll last a long time.

Let's see if we get lucky and find the very fabric......it's a long shot but worth the phone calls I think. If not, let's see what today's technology and repro artists and chemists in the laboratories can whip up to copy this design.

I think that we'll definately get something very close. Let me start collecting sample pieces of fabric. As they arrive I'll post them up for you all to see and criticize...then we'll toss around ideas and suggestions on how to get it better, stronger....faster........Ooooop's wrong show.
icon_smile.gif

David

BAlinger15 wrote:
GK-

Curious where you saw the screen used jackets?

-Brandon

About 2 or 3 years ago, Jeff Castillo and the guy who runs screenused.com displayed their collections at the annual FX show in Orlando, Fl. They even brought the 2015 taxi cab.

They had 1 or 2, heavily cared for, falling apart jackets. All of their items are displayed and maintained in very expensive cases. Heck, the wall-sized shadowbox where they displayed their hooverboards was worth 10 grands alone.

They said they don't even want to touch or even wear their 2015 jackets to avoid doing any further damage. Like most props and costumes, these jackets were made for the movie and not to last.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
They said they don't even want to touch or even wear their 2015 jackets to avoid doing any further damage. Like most props and costumes, these jackets were made for the movie and not to last.

Yea, I forgot to mention that too. Screen used props are meant to look good on film....that's all. Very good point!!!

It's good to know that they were taken care of though. Too bad they still fell apart.
I hope that today...what, 15,20 years later technology has improved to the point of making these things to last.

DAvid

I was in some discount clothing place in November last year and saw some jackets by Schott. The first thing I thought when I saw them was Marty's jacket.
Colours were wrong, but the texture seemed close.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back