BTTF - Ultimate Delorean Cozy Coup

DBXMe2

Jr Member
Hi Everyone,

For the longest of time I've had a dream to create the ultimate little tikes cozy coupe. I've gotten the idea after reading an instructables about a parent who did this out of cardboard for their kid's halloween costume..

Littlest Marty McFly and His Delorean Push Car

Since I had no kids to do this at the time, my brain just kept designing and thinking up; what would be the most ultimate little car mod that I could possibly do. Electronics or maybe a sweet paint job...?

No instead of doing it easy, I figured if I was going to do this, I'd do this right.

This is one of the first times I post in the RPF and also start something creative outside of my university studies over 10 years ago. I'm originally a film production major, but have always loved computers, digital art and the like. And I'm sure some are wondering, why is this guy giving me his whole back story!? Well its to prove that you can be at any artistic level and so long as you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

I'll be posting periodically my progress as I go. This project will take me some time, but I can say my ambition will make it so I atleast finish it.. one day lol. My daughter is only 1 at the moment and I'd love for her to enjoy her very own Delorean Cozy Coup.

upload_2019-1-18_21-7-18-png.png

DBX

Hi All,

Quick first reply after my initial thread creation but I had already started a bit of work.

Step 1
Photogrammetry

Now to scan objects in photogrammetry, you would usually need a pretty high end rig or an overcast day + a decent SLR with a 50mm lense.

Let me tell you how I got away with making really good scans with practically no light + an above average point and shoot (Sony RX100 mk5)

It all starts with the setup:
2019-01-11-08-25-27-920.jpg

When doing photogrammetry in a studio setting, the best setup is a white background "well exposed to create a pure white background for your object" and an evenly lit object in the foreground on a lazy susan.

To create the studio setting, you'll notice I used an Amazon Basics speed light $35 Cad, a beige bed sheet (ironed) and two 100 watt constant video lights.

Once I "built" my photo studio, I then create a very inexpensive lazy susan. It was made up of 2 pieces of plywood, a screw (nut and bolt) and an old microwave plate carriage as the "ball bearings". The advantage of using the microwave rotating ring was that it was much wider than any ball bearing type rotating plate that I could get my hands on. The added benefit was also that I didn't have to buy one since I could just "borrow" the one that was in my microwave. *Sorry babe, its for science!*

The rotating base setup:
2019-01-11-08-25-35-271.jpg

So the hardest part of taking pictures with consistent lighting that is not from a studio flash is uneven shadows. I used to work in a photo store and used to have to take lots of passport photos. One trick I picked up was using a speed light as a slave either ontop or behind the subject, to blow out the background.

DSC00494.jpg
DSC00515.jpg
DSC00574.jpg

Using that technique, I was able to get as close of a studio look as I could using the onboard flash on the RX100 and the speedlight + constant lights.

The next step was to take the pictures and to convert them into a 3D mesh. I did use Agisoft Photoscan originally, but realized I would need MUCH better photo and lighting equipment to accomplish this. It was only until Prusa Research put out this photogrammetry video that I decided to give it a second try... and boy was I happy I did. *link to the video about Meshroom:

Image of my photo session converted in Meshroom. Amazingly it also used bad underlit pictures which I was pleasantly surprised.
Meshroom-example.jpg

Next part testing some 3D printed parts from something I scanned.

Thanks to my mother, a kind lady who is as passionate about making things as myself. She had recently decided to blow all the money she got for her 60th birthday on a 3D printer. Being the good son I am, I right away pointed he to one of the best printers I could, a Prusa i3 Mk3 kit. Once I put it together, I obviously had to test it for her ;)

I decided to first print one of the scanned doors to the car and see how it would turn out as a miniature. And well you know what it came out really good. The detail was quite good for such a small print with, all be it, simple lines.
2019-01-11-08-24-30-282.jpg
2019-01-11-22-21-18-458.jpg
2019-01-12-08-37-37-389.jpg
2019-01-12-08-37-44-502.jpg

And now time for an actual piece.

I decided to model the "hub caps" or rims of the delorean.
Delorean-9226.jpg

I chose to make the visual style similar, but not exactly to proportion. In Maya, I made a simple mesh:
Maya-Hub-Cap.jpg

Even though its not perfect, I couldn't wait, it was time for a test print:
2019-01-21-20-42-47-779.jpg

I'll most likely be refining my model with more accuracy in the future, but for tonight I think I've done a decent amount of progress lol.

DBX

Thanks for the support!
Brief update:
Printing the test hub cap / delorean rim for the cozy coup went well but I noticed that creating a lowish polygon object is not so forgiving on rounded surfaces when you print them.

-75Fcx3nTF-rj9uUmthw2g.jpg

So I'm remodeling it a bit better... smarter for it to come out better when I print. The good news was the size fit perfectly on the wheel!

DBX

Hey all,

Back at it again... I decided that Maya wouldnt be the best "most accurate" place to model all these addons for the car. Started learning Fusion 360 and with little experience getting things done quite quickly and nice and accurate!
upload_2019-2-5_21-53-31.png

upload_2019-2-5_21-53-49.png

The real car actually has something like 46 spokes, I think I'm making mine around 40... Looks good to me! lol

Once the shape is well modelled, another test print is needed. :D

DBX

Hi Everyone,

Back again and I think I've finally come up with the final design for the rims. Printed one out today and it came out stellar!

First the design in Fusion 360
upload_2019-2-10_20-45-0.png

I made it 7.5cm in diameter and the printed it at an angle to maximize the quality and reduce the amount of support material I would need to clean up.

upload_2019-2-10_20-48-6.png

And here it is assembled, center cap and exterior rim.

upload_2019-2-10_20-48-53.png

Now time to print 3 more and then glue them on the wheel :D

DBX

Hey everyone,

I'm back at it again!

So what have I been up to besides procrastinating lol, I've been spending my time trying to figure out how to properly use Mesh Objects in Fusion 360.

For my first attempt I've decided to work on the steering wheel:
1981_DeLorean_DMC-12_interior_Petersen.jpg

After much work in Zbrush and Fusion 360 I was able to turn this:
DSC01071.JPG

Into:
upload_2019-3-21_20-35-40.png

The center part of the steering wheel is this triangular shape with 3 switches in the middle. I've ordered a few from AliExpress US $0.58 |1pcs Mini 3 Pin Dashboard On Off Position Rocker Switch Illuminated Spst with Light-in Switches from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I chose these because they looked like they would work best for small hands and wouldn't look too out of place.
Here's the final shape I made using the steering wheel template I 3D scanned:
upload_2019-3-21_20-40-33.png

Here's the back side to show how I used the steering wheel's shape as a template to cut into the object I created. The goal was to make something that was form fit. I haven't seen anyone do this anywhere online yet.

upload_2019-3-21_20-42-29.png

It's not perfect BUT it will be a good proof of concept when its time to make all the other addon components.

I would add more detail to how I got to this point but if you're interested just PM me and I'd be happy to walk anyone through the process. It was actually not that hard after I studied how to best make the addon piece. *Another reason why it took me a good month + since my last update*

_C6j6Co3ToaAlsOMs4NyCw.jpg

I'll post an update once its finished printing! I've done some preliminary measurements and it looks decent. Curious if I got it on my first attempt!! lol

DBX

I'm waiting for you to tackle the time travel elements from the back of the car, or the flux bands that go around the bumpers. I'm sure you would get more replies if you started on the "meat" of the car. The hubcaps and steering wheel are nice, but get on with it sir!

HI Everybody,

I know you guys like quick updates but its hard when balancing baby, wife, work lol.

Here's what I've been up too recently. I had to import the car in Fusion and it was no small feat. Its still not perfect, but its good enough for my needs.

upload_2019-4-7_19-53-31.png

Fusion 360 has a limitation of quad poly objects at a limit of 10k faces. This means I would have lost a lot of detail if I lowered the quality of my mesh.

I've been doing all my work in Zbrush:
upload_2019-4-7_19-56-20.png

So from the highest poly I cut the car in separate pieces. I had scanned each piece individually and planned to reconstruct the car in Fusion but the roof pillars didn't line up properly.

I choose to re take the pictures of the car fully assembled and redo the photogrammetry work.

Not going to explain too much, but here's the steps in pictures to get to what I have now in fusion.
upload_2019-4-7_19-59-23.png

upload_2019-4-7_19-59-41.png

upload_2019-4-7_19-59-57.png

upload_2019-4-7_20-0-24.png

upload_2019-4-7_20-0-37.png

The full car in separate 10k faced sections.

upload_2019-4-7_20-1-28.png

I also sketched up roughly what I wanted the side profile of the car to look like. The key with such a small car and for it to still be maneuverable is to not create too much overhang from the front and the back.

Since the roof is so tall, I think this would be appropriate proportions.

What do you guys think? I'm already starting to create the base form now :D
i7SKOY8JQo2XT8I5X-17rA.jpg

Update you guys soon!
DBX

Hey all,

Didn't want to post little increments to the project so I've been putting off posting lol. Not only that but I've been trying to find time to work on it since I've got full time daddy/husband and work duties.

ANNNNNY way I've been working the model in Maya with a decimated mesh. It was a lot lighter and quicker to use instead of Fusion 360.

upload_2019-4-14_21-42-42.png

Once I get most of the object modeled, I'll refine the mesh in Zbrush and then I'll import that into Fusion to get precise measurements for printing.

I've got a few more details to add and I want to make sure everything looks the part.

Update you all soon!
DBX

Love the idea!

Just wanted to make sure you were aware that the steering wheel with the embedded switches comes from a replica build, not any of the screen-used cars.

Cheers!
McFlyDallas

Love the idea!

Just wanted to make sure you were aware that the steering wheel with the embedded switches comes from a replica build, not any of the screen-used cars.

Cheers!
McFlyDallas

Hi ElectroDFW, thanks that's true I don't remember those switches being on in the films. I'm most likely going to keep them though since they'll serve well as triggers to turn on and off certain elements of the car.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back