BTTF Skates project - Finished

MAKE BELIEVE

Master Member
After having made Marty's 1985 and 2015 skates,

PIC1.jpg PIC2.jpg PIC3.jpg

I decided to give it a shot and try also the 1955 and the 4 from Griff's gang ("No Tech", "Rising Sun", "The Thrill" and "Pit Bull")
I think the 1955 is easy to make (the hard part will be to get the "old" skate wheels ) As to the other 4 I'll try to do my best but they will not be 100% accurate once this will be a low cost home made job (the idea is to have the skates as good as possible spending the less possible)

Starting (I'll be working a bit on each at the same time):

PIC15.jpg PIC14.jpg PIC13.jpg PIC12.jpg PIC9.jpg PIC8.jpg PIC7.jpg PIC10.jpg PIC11.jpg PIC1.jpg PIC4.jpg PIC6.jpg

Last edited:
Re: BTTF Skates project - WIP

On the 1955 skateboard, that looks good. The front end seems to have a angled curve nose to it though, just an observation. Good job on the rest.

I went back and looked, seems there are a couple boards used during those scenes, one does look flatter than the other.on the shot you posted the board has the spark skid on the rear.

Mr Southpaw, the ones on EBay you mentioned are vac formed and they actually aren't 100% accurate. The magnet disc and holders have a different shape (holder blends into the disc on the edge). I have a set of those I ordered a while back. They're OK for a light weight board (plastic is very thin Styrene) but the pull is soft in spots along with the slightly inaccurate magnets.

MakeBelieve, great job so far! Love the 1955 skates board!

Having all those boards would make for a neat wall display. Cool project.

You'd need a big wall for that ;)

Thank you, mate

The $29.99 parts under "SCREEN ACURATE HOVERBOARD PARTS Movie Prop Back to the Future 2 Magnets & Batt"?

If so, how do you like them? Any other problems besides being large?

No, I bought the molds (two magnets and one battery) some time ago and casted the 8 + 4 pieces

Mr Southpaw, the ones on EBay you mentioned are vac formed and they actually aren't 100% accurate. The magnet disc and holders have a different shape (holder blends into the disc on the edge). I have a set of those I ordered a while back. They're OK for a light weight board (plastic is very thin Styrene) but the pull is soft in spots along with the slightly inaccurate magnets.

That's a shame the parts aren't well made. That ebay source is 1 of 2 places I know to order parts. The other is a place allegedly run by a recaster.

I might have to give up on my build until a 3rd option presents itself.

You'd need a big wall for that ;)

Thank you, mate

No, I bought the molds (two magnets and one battery) some time ago and casted the 8 + 4 pieces

I see.

The eBay VAC formed ones are OK for a walk around type prop, but not accurate if you want something 100% accurate for display. Just depends on how picky you are for details I guess and what you want to use it for!

For my convention type use, they will work. They're just not very sharp detail or sturdy (kind of thin).

The work goes on. Never thought this would be so "hard" (maybe because I did the 4 at the same time...)

As this was my first time working with mollds they didn't come out as good as I thought they would. Anyway I'm more or less happy with it - as I said this is a low cost project and they will not be perfect.

Some more pics:

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg pic5.jpg pic6.jpg pic7.jpg pic8.jpg pic9.jpg pic10.jpg pic11.jpg pic12.jpg pic13.jpg pic14.jpg pic15.jpg

The eBay VAC formed ones are OK for a walk around type prop, but not accurate if you want something 100% accurate for display. Just depends on how picky you are for details I guess and what you want to use it for!

For my convention type use, they will work. They're just not very sharp detail or sturdy (kind of thin).

Okay, fair enough. I'll consider them for my "stunt" build.

Reading through that ebay listing, in the description it says...

"AS A BONUS, IF YOU DO DECIDE TO USE RESIN, USE THESE PARTS AS THE MOLDS AND MAKE THEM YOURSELF!!!"

Does that mean what I think it means?

The work goes on. Never thought this would be so "hard" (maybe because I did the 4 at the same time...)

As this was my first time working with mollds they didn't come out as good as I thought they would. Anyway I'm more or less happy with it - as I said this is a low cost project and they will not be perfect.

Some more pics:

Those look good, how about some wide-angle shots?

What crate was used for the 1955 skateboard? I've researched all of the brand names and none of them had their own crates. Was it just a random crate they put labels on?

What crate was used for the 1955 skateboard? I've researched all of the brand names and none of them had their own crates. Was it just a random crate they put labels on?

It's a Bradford Bros. Inc. orange crate. It's says 'Bradford Bros.' on one side and 'Seald Sweet' on the other. Been wanting to make one. I have the skates but haven't had any luck finding the crate. The only ones I've seen are Sunkist crates. I also have the label. You can find them on ebay.

[URL=http://s94.photobucket.com/user/retropunk93/media/labeledit.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back