BTTF II Rubber Jacket

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by U2fan24, May 6, 2012.

1. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Hey guys,
    I had posted some info about having started making my own latex rubber version of this jacket (made by me from scratch) but I kinda stepped on my own toes by posting it in a related junk yard post that I'd like to keep separate. So here's a pic of how it's coming along... slowly, but it's coming along:)

[​IMG]

2. agliarept

agliarept Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

awesome first pic. what's the red portion of the jacket made of? is the whole jacket latex? its looking nice.

3. Edward H

Edward H Well-Known Member

Making leaps and bounds! Looks really great Aaron!

4. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Thanks Ed:) And it's great to hear you got the modified B@MJ jacket back Mauro. I'm glad you're happy with it:) Here's an other pic with the bellows hanging off the shoulder (it's not fastened there yet.)

[​IMG]

5. lukebrynycz

lukebrynycz Well-Known Member

It's great that he's got your full support and advice Ed. Genuinely, thanks for helping him help us. :thumbsup

6. lukebrynycz

Looks tooooo cool! At that rate you'll have it done in no time Aaron. Might need to get one of those on order too ;)

So did you decide how you were going to do the black sections inbetween the bumps of the red fabric? Marker pen still, or slitting them with a knife carefully and laying a black material behind? Also, is that first below in rubber? :eek (on a phone so hard to see).

7. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Well I think the only way to get the black crevasse and have it still look decent would be to do that while it's in the mold. So I think it's too late and the vest on this jacket will have to stay as is. I tried a marker, but you can only fill in about 15 lines before the marker stops working. It's weird... it just doesn't want to work on the material very well. The lines look darker to the eye anyways cause there's natural shadows filling it in. So... not bad for my first attempt. I'm ok with it:) Here's another pic with half the sleeve done :D the sleeves are kinda fun when they're put together lol.

[​IMG]

8. lukebrynycz

I'll take your word for it, you clearly have the experience over me on this one!

Yea, I would imagine most markers won't take very well to that kind of rubber. I guess you can't slit all the gaps as you will just end up with hundreds of diamonds :lol

Definitely a great step forwards though :thumbsup Did you get my pms btw? Good news with the material getting over to you.

9. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Yeah thanks Luke, it's great to hear the material's on it's way I'll be watching for it. And I appreciate you letting me keep the extras :)

10. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would think that a dark grey acrylic paint wash would work perfect for this. No?

11. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Yeah that would work, but how would I keep the paint from washing away if it rains or something?

12. BTTFfan88

BTTFfan88 Active Member

It looks great so far! I love it!

13. lukebrynycz

No worries! :thumbsup It's crazy how quickly the all hand made one is coming along, although I suspect behind the scenes it's hours/days of blood and sweat ;) Might have to get one when they go public so I can have the original for general use and the fully rubber one for special events etc.

14. lukebrynycz

Great idea for a prop Brad, but I was thinking the same thing for general use also. :confused There's always a way, it's just how much money you are willing to spend on R&D and time! :love

Perhaps Ed can shed some light on how he did his? It's great that he's shared his knowledge.

15. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What about clear coating it?

16. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Meh. I'm not gonna worry about it this time. There's an easy way but it has to be done during the early stages of the vest part being made. IF I ever go through the trouble of making a second jacket then I'm sure it'll turn out better considering I've learned what to do and what not to do. Personally I never thought it would have turned out this good even. Here's an other pic I took today:)

[​IMG]

17. markpoon

markpoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi U2fan24,

Amazing work!

18. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Thanks Mark :)

19. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking really good.

Not to nick pick but in regards to the actual jacket design in the film BTTF II: Should the vest part of the jacket not of had an extension ability as well? Whilst the idea of 1 size fits all is neat, if someone was actually tall enough to wear the jacket with the sleeves extended (even just half way), the vest part would not be long enough for their body.

20. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Oh really? I had no idea the vest part changed in size at all. In the scene it looks like just the sleeves and pockets adjust. I probably haven't researched it enough. I'm just going by the info Ed provided me with and trial and error.

21. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

22. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Ok guys and gals (if any) I need your opinionS on something. So I made a latex rubber belt for the jacket (took a while to make) And I painted it with a roller after it came out of the mold (cause I didn't want any brush strokes to show). Now it looks kinda "textured". It doesn't look as smooth as the movie jacket belt. I might be able to make a plastic belt and get much better detail, but I like the feel of the rubber one. Any suggestions? This jacket's really tiring me out, and I still have the liner to worry about :S I just kinda wanna get the belt on and keep it in the back of my mind with "room for improvement". Here's a pic: [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  23. lukebrynycz

Firstly Aaron, don't let it get you down. If it's making you begin to hate the project, leave it well alone and do your great B@MJ conversions that you have down to a fine art and enjoy.

I almost gave up on my Mags half way through but responses and feedback here gave me such a big boost to mentally keep me on it. Now I have done a pair and worked out a lot of the problems, I could do it again and probably enjoy it, and just as importantly, share all my research here which I did in my thread.

Chin up, the rubber jacket looks amazing. Take a step back and look at just how great it is!!

Just out of interest, how was the belt done on mine?

24. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Yours is tinted plastic like the pictures I showed you a while back. I haven't got the belt on yet, but it's just about ready.

25. lammy

lammy Active Member

This is going to look freakin' amazing when done

26. lukebrynycz

It really is. I think this project will be VERY tiring, as Aaron has just recently mentioned. I think it's healthy to take breaks from such big projects, but can't wait to see this thing complete!

It won't be very nice wearing this in hot countries, it would be sweaty as hell :lol Will suit us fine here in the UK. It will be waterproof too, bonus!

27. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Hey guys. I got a new pic:) The belt in that last pic was all chunky looking so I decided to scrap it and pour a new one using latex. Good thing too cause it turned out flawless! It makes a HUGE difference with the belt and cuffs on there. It's a real nice contrast. I used grey velcro on the straps so the sleeves can relax, and the strap "clasps" are permanently attached. All I need now is the sound and light features and the lining. I'm a bit stumped on the lining still I think I've figured out every possibility for it, but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them. Also how would I go about getting lining in the sleeves while still having the option to fold and unfold them...? Anyhow... here's the pic:) [​IMG]

28. drftfan

drftfan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

By far one of my favorite movies and that jacket looks good

29. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is one very cool job. The lining of the sleeves will be tricky because they need to be the same length as the outer shell when fully extended and also need to fold when retracted.

30. markpoon

markpoon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi U2fan24,

Looks fantastic! Great job!

31. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Hey guys!
    So the outside of the jacket is finally done :D That includes both sounds and a light. I still have to try and wrap my head around the lining:s Here are some new pics:

(colour looks different due to lighting)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. lukebrynycz

Looks excellent Aaron! :thumbsup I really like the latex belts, I would imagine they're a bit more comfortable. Did the tinting work ok with the latex or do you have to brush on the black after?

The grey could do with been just a tad darker and a matte finish, but other than that it's pretty much there! Cracking work :cool

33. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Well I tried that tint that I ordered for the plastic belts (and plastic pieces seen on the rubber jacket) but when mixed with latex it actually washed out after the latex set :/ Which I thought was really weird. I really wanted to avoid brush strokes if I could, so for this I actually used spray glue and spray paint. (The glue sticks to the latex, and the paint sticks to the glue.) It's already cracking and peeling around the cuffs from my hands going in and out though. I don't think it will be too much of a problem, but I might have to resort to a back-up plan if the paint cracks too much.

34. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

oh. And as for the grey paint... it actually is suposed to be a matte finish, and it all started as one big sheet the size of my pool table. But the surface I used to roll the colour on was really shiny and smooth. Once it dried and peeled away, that shine and smoothness kinda transfered to the rubber. (But yeah I wasn't really counting on that.) IF I make more then they'll turn out better. Well... they should.

35. lukebrynycz

Sounds like you're having some fun with it all anyway :lol

I would personally take a break if you're getting tired of spending all your spare time doing this. Last thing you want is for it to turn into a ballache and not get it perfect. I know i'm not the only one who would like to see this thing at its peak, we all know you've got the skill to do it.

Perhaps go back to the plastic belts/cuffs as they tint black and won't peel..?

36. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Here's a sneak peek at something I threw together for the lining in the jacket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. lukebrynycz

Lookin' sweet

38. major payne

major payne Active Member

That looks totally awesome!!!

Will you be planning on mass producing these when you have done your prototype? I would definitely be up for one :)

39. bhuggs

bhuggs New Member

PRETTY SWEET, we'll be looking for you in the junkyard when your ready to mass produce them.

40. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

41. MitasTouch

MitasTouch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The pockets are a tad bit low, but other than that it's perfect.

42. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Un-frikking-believable.

43. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

I'm really confused about the pockets actually. It's almost like a optical illusion. If you look at the screen used jacket pockets, the bottom of the pockets end about half way between the top of the jacket and the belt. So I was basing my pockets on where the bottom lined up... I didn't even think to look at the top:( The top of the pockets SHOULD actually be about center with the arm holes. (Which I overlooked). But if I were to make the pockets from the center of the arms to the center of the jacket THEN they would look WAY too big and too rectangular compared to the jacket in the movie. I have a few ideas on how to correct this, but I'm not sure what went wrong. I'm thinking maybe the vest portion needs to be wider from side to side which would give me a wider surface area for bigger pockets to sit flush (and not fold under the arm the way it slightly does with mine.) But for something as simple as making the jacket a little wider would mean a lot of other things would have to change too. (Ex. making the belt longer.) I just wish I had more to go on in terms of dimensions of everything. I just had to eyeball it and keep in mind that Michael J Fox is just a little guy.

44. psychpineapple

psychpineapple New Member

amazing job with the jack, the lining is fantastic!

45. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that considering I spent $50 on just the material for the lining, and then had to do a lot of work just to give it the right look. But I'm happy with it:) I just can't wait for some cooler temperatures so I can wear it comfortably. There's a Fan Expo at the end of August in Toronto that I'll be wearing it to. I'm HOPING the weather will be unseasonably low. It's not as cold in Canada as a lot of people think :s.

46. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

Hey guys!
    Just a heads up to everyone interested... I plan to soon sell this replica rubber jacket (seen in the pics and video above) and will be posting it on ebay hopefully by the end of the month or very shortly after. I'll make sure I post that in the junk yard as well once I'm ready.
    Something I WOULD like some help with though, is... isn't there a way to attach a video or your own page with pics etc to the ebay ad page? I know I've seen pages like that, but don't know how to do that myself. I'd like to have some good pics/description/and video for my jacket to help make the ad more professional, but I'm not sure how. Any help with this would be very appreciated and will speed up the waiting time before I sell the jacket:) Please let me know!

47. krell101

krell101 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I will be on the lookout for the ebay posting thanks for offering it.

48. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member

No problem :)

49. U2fan24

U2fan24 Active Member