BTTF II Rubber Jacket

U2fan24

Hey guys,
I had posted some info about having started making my own latex rubber version of this jacket (made by me from scratch) but I kinda stepped on my own toes by posting it in a related junk yard post that I'd like to keep separate. So here's a pic of how it's coming along... slowly, but it's coming along:)

Vestandshoulderbellows.jpg

awesome first pic. what's the red portion of the jacket made of? is the whole jacket latex? its looking nice.

Thanks Ed:) And it's great to hear you got the modified B@MJ jacket back Mauro. I'm glad you're happy with it:) Here's an other pic with the bellows hanging off the shoulder (it's not fastened there yet.)

Thanks Ed:) And it's great to hear you got the modified B@MJ jacket back Mauro. I'm glad you're happy with it:) Here's an other pic with the bellows hanging off the shoulder (it's not fastened there yet.)

Looks tooooo cool! At that rate you'll have it done in no time Aaron. Might need to get one of those on order too ;)

So did you decide how you were going to do the black sections inbetween the bumps of the red fabric? Marker pen still, or slitting them with a knife carefully and laying a black material behind? Also, is that first below in rubber? :eek (on a phone so hard to see).

Looks tooooo cool! At that rate you'll have it done in no time Aaron. Might need to get one of those on order too ;)

So did you decide how you were going to do the black sections inbetween the bumps of the red fabric? Marker pen still, or slitting them with a knife carefully and laying a black material behind? Also, is that first below in rubber? :eek (on a phone so hard to see).

Well I think the only way to get the black crevasse and have it still look decent would be to do that while it's in the mold. So I think it's too late and the vest on this jacket will have to stay as is. I tried a marker, but you can only fill in about 15 lines before the marker stops working. It's weird... it just doesn't want to work on the material very well. The lines look darker to the eye anyways cause there's natural shadows filling it in. So... not bad for my first attempt. I'm ok with it:) Here's another pic with half the sleeve done :D the sleeves are kinda fun when they're put together lol.

Jacketvestandhalfsleeve.jpg

I'll take your word for it, you clearly have the experience over me on this one!

Yea, I would imagine most markers won't take very well to that kind of rubber. I guess you can't slit all the gaps as you will just end up with hundreds of diamonds :lol

Definitely a great step forwards though :thumbsup Did you get my pms btw? Good news with the material getting over to you.

Well I think the only way to get the black crevasse and have it still look decent would be to do that while it's in the mold. So I think it's too late and the vest on this jacket will have to stay as is. I tried a marker, but you can only fill in about 15 lines before the marker stops working. It's weird... it just doesn't want to work on the material very well. The lines look darker to the eye anyways cause there's natural shadows filling it in. So... not bad for my first attempt. I'm ok with it:) Here's another pic with half the sleeve done :D the sleeves are kinda fun when they're put together lol.

Jacketvestandhalfsleeve.jpg

I'll take your word for it, you clearly have the experience over me on this one!

Yea, I would imagine most markers won't take very well to that kind of rubber. I guess you can't slit all the gaps as you will just end up with hundreds of diamonds :lol

Definitely a great step forwards though :thumbsup Did you get my pms btw? Good news with the material getting over to you.

Yeah thanks Luke, it's great to hear the material's on it's way I'll be watching for it. And I appreciate you letting me keep the extras :)

Yeah thanks Luke, it's great to hear the material's on it's way I'll be watching for it. And I appreciate you letting me keep the extras :)

No worries! :thumbsup It's crazy how quickly the all hand made one is coming along, although I suspect behind the scenes it's hours/days of blood and sweat ;) Might have to get one when they go public so I can have the original for general use and the fully rubber one for special events etc.

Yeah that would work, but how would I keep the paint from washing away if it rains or something?

Great idea for a prop Brad, but I was thinking the same thing for general use also. :confused There's always a way, it's just how much money you are willing to spend on R&D and time! :love

Perhaps Ed can shed some light on how he did his? It's great that he's shared his knowledge.

Meh. I'm not gonna worry about it this time. There's an easy way but it has to be done during the early stages of the vest part being made. IF I ever go through the trouble of making a second jacket then I'm sure it'll turn out better considering I've learned what to do and what not to do. Personally I never thought it would have turned out this good even. Here's an other pic I took today:)

Looking really good.

Not to nick pick but in regards to the actual jacket design in the film BTTF II: Should the vest part of the jacket not of had an extension ability as well? Whilst the idea of 1 size fits all is neat, if someone was actually tall enough to wear the jacket with the sleeves extended (even just half way), the vest part would not be long enough for their body.

Looking really good.

Not to nick pick but in regards to the actual jacket design in the film BTTF II: Should the vest part of the jacket not of had an extension ability as well? Whilst the idea of 1 size fits all is neat, if someone was actually tall enough to wear the jacket with the sleeves extended (even just half way), the vest part would not be long enough for their body.

Oh really? I had no idea the vest part changed in size at all. In the scene it looks like just the sleeves and pockets adjust. I probably haven't researched it enough. I'm just going by the info Ed provided me with and trial and error.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back