BTTF Flux Capacitor replica

Will these be for sale. Please
I don't think I'm ever making a run of these, it's all hand made and I didn't even cast the solenoid pieces. I might release a tutorial to get this running on CFX so that others can build the same using the sound board

quite some progress, I built the speedometer, printed the black framing that holds the 7 segment display, wrote the code to synchronize it with the flux capacitor, worked on this the whole week.

- IR remote now has slave and master mode access for the capacitor. Master drivers the speedometer as slave and plays the speed sequence by bluetooth (flux cap. sends the speed increase / decrease wireless and the speedometer updates the display)
- Slave mode has the speedometer master. GPS inside gets the NMEA data parsed and ground speed extracted at 1Hz, displayed on the led display. Decimal point indicates if a GPS fix has been found.
- Added a boot sequence on the display just because, tests all segments, counts from 00 to 99 quickly, sci fi blinkies **** me likey
- Cut the 10mm thick acrylic (3/8" is supposed to 9.5mm is). Took 3 passes on the laser, flatten the sides (because the laser beam + focus makes angled cuts by definition and the deeper the more you see it). Painted the sides in black
- reworked the led sequence code, now properly emulating the 4 light bulbs made out several leds with side dimming and PoV fade out when it transitions to the next step
- Noted that the flux capacitor is going BACKWARDS when Doc & Marty visit the delorean in at the cemetery (!) possibly because it's in the past. Added a mode with the IR remote that trigger "go to the future" or "back to the future" quotes when you swap forward/backward modes

- speedometer runs on a arduino zero clone on which I've added an additional serial port so I can have USB (CDC) port + bluetooth module + GPS (serial as well)

IMG_20200416_194443.jpg

Used as many drawer parts I had in stock, feels good to use what you've stored for those "just in case moments". Speedo runs on a 16340 cell. Recharge port + latching switch at the rear
IMG_20200417_144154.jpg

IMG_20200417_144253.jpg

3D printed display frame, 2 coats of automotive, 2 coats of flat black
IMG_20200417_155609.jpg

Added the remaining ledstrip on the cover for back lighting during the time travel sequence
IMG_20200419_144537.jpg

IR remote got DYMO labelling for vintage look, plus a few stickers to remember what does what
back-future-flux-capacitor
IMG_20200416_200034.jpg

Next, I went back to CAD to try to get the top and right exhausts tubes correct. First print (1 day 10 hrs...) for a first glance, I modded the design a bit and will be printing again tonight. Gave a try to knurling a part with diamond pattern, which came out surprisingly well detailed when printed in ABS. I'll see what HIPS gives on the final print.
The top exhaust holds the sound speaker (35mm OD) and is used as a resonator for maximizing the 3W audio

BothExhaustAssembly1.jpg

I updated the CAD assembly to visually check the look of everything and proportions... not so bad

back-future-flux-capacitor

BothExhaustAssembly2.jpg

BothExhaustAssembly3.jpg

Went on roads to shoot some footage (wrong car, I know lol, please don't shoot me)
2 trips as my code needed adjustment for triggering the time travel sequence. I wanted to go back in time to fix it so it would save me some work, but I did not manage to actually travel in time. I only wasted my time lol.

final (hopefully) top and right exhaust design are printing ATM, 23 hrs long print, on the way to finish this project and call it done !

1587323721060.png

IMG_20200419_192209.jpg

Looks awesome. Did you make your own relay labels or buy them?

I used a PDF from a member here (from his build thread) then printed them myself on clear sticker sheet with the laser printer, then attached to alu tape. I was close to rework the PDF with AI to make round corners, but since I didn't have accurate & detailed ref pictures for the relays, I just used those (they look very nice, font seemed ok)

Bottom line : if you want some, I printed a complete sheet and I have a large reel of alu tape, so if you want some, just ask, I can ship some to you for the cost of registered first class mail and a donation (Keep in mind that mail is really slow ATM with covid19 and I'm located in France)

Last edited:
Great idea, that's the only part I haven't figured out yet. I'm even going to try to burn the insides of the tubes too.

Last edited:
Exhaust tubes prints came out really great, HIPS is such a good alternative to ABS (and cheaper) for props, lightweight, strong enough and takes primer and paint very well. 23 hrs print for those 2 combined on the same tray / print.

IMG_20200420_155922.jpg

IMG_20200420_155928.jpg

Hammered metal paint. Top part got regular silver paint and holds the speaker + resonant chamber
IMG_20200420_193102.jpg

IMG_20200420_193125.jpg

installed with 2 laser-cut "coasters" made with stacked MDF, make piping removable
IMG_20200421_173933.jpg

Installed it in the stair case that frees up space in the shop (and my mind) and I really enjoy seeing this when I go downstairs. Next is a couple of paper props from BTTF, already printed, needs framing, will use the laser for that and ordered acrylics and MDF to make more display stuff. The speedometer needs a little wood shelf for display, maybe an acrylic box around. Well, I need to finish that stair case, at least give it a good kick before confinement ends though I might stay as home worker for a while. Fine to me :)

Perfect blending with an existing power line and the exhaust pipes to the wall, I worked well on this thing. Happy camper !

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200424173145992_COVER.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200424173211894_COVER.jpg

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200424173247724_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200424_173548.jpg

IMG_20200424_173559.jpg

Now to edit that demo video...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back