BTTF 1 - found: George McFly's 1955 alarm clock; searching for: his 1955 wristwatch

Roland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yesterday I got my Westclox Bingo Style 3 alarm clock, which is exactly the same type as seen in BTTF 1 on George McFly's nightstand 1955. The only difference is: the movie clock has no brand name on the face. Some trivia: this type of clocks was produced from 1962 - 1979. George must be a time traveller too! :lol

Movie screen shot:

attachment.php

My clock:

attachment.php

Now I'm searching for the exact brand and type of George's 1955 wristwatch. It's also seen on the nightstand screen shot and in a few other scenes, but it's small and hard to identify. Any watch experts here on the board?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Re: BTTF 1 - found: George McFly's 1955 alarm clock; searching for: his 1955 wristwat

Cool find Roland. I was curious about that clock in the past but without knowing the brand name it was hard to narrow down the search. Yet you managed to find it, well done :). Good luck with the search for the watch.

Re: BTTF 1 - found: George McFly's 1955 alarm clock; searching for: his 1955 wristwat

Hamilton was popular, cheap, and produced many black faced watches, particularly for the military. You may try them - they were the Timex of their day - along with, well, Timex. LOL

Hamilton was popular, cheap, and produced many black faced watches, particularly for the military. You may try them - they were the Timex of their day - along with, well, Timex. LOL

It really seems to be a Hamilton military watch. I found some watches with the same design but wrong faces (brighter, not black). Thanks for the hint. :)

Cool find Roland. I was curious about that clock in the past but without knowing the brand name it was hard to narrow down the search. Yet you managed to find it, well done :). Good luck with the search for the watch.

Thanks, Vivek. :)

Yes, that was great luck. I found the clock just by accident, when I was searching for another clock on clockhistory.com. And then I saw this: Westclox Bingo Style 3 and found the clock on eBay. :)

Another memorable clock from the movie is the Westclox Keno Style 4. It's the clock in the very first movie scene. I bought it from the same seller (but didn't get it yet).

Last edited:

Roland, any chance you are going to be replicating the style 3 clock to get rid of the brand name like the movie?

Roland, any chance you are going to be replicating the style 3 clock to get rid of the brand name like the movie?

Not only a chance! I WILL do that. :) I bought two of those clocks. One in a very good condition (the one on my photo above) and one with a damaged and yellowed face/dial, which I've removed. But it's still good enough for scanning and redrawing it (without the brand name, of course).

attachment.php

Roland, when you end up making it, if you want to sell me one send me a PM.
I have been trying to increase my bttf clock collection for quite some time now!
Thanks,
Dennis

Roland, when you end up making it, if you want to sell me one send me a PM.
I have been trying to increase my bttf clock collection for quite some time now!
Thanks,
Dennis

Unfortunately no. I need both for my collection, one with brand name and one without. But once my replica face is finished, I will make it available as a free download for everyone.

Hell, I never realized till just now that George also had a Tales from Space on his side table. I bet he and that Peabody boy got their comics from the same store :)

-Gary

Unfortunately no. I need both for my collection, one with brand name and one without. But once my replica face is finished, I will make it available as a free download for everyone.

I didnt mean buying a clock, i meant buying a face. But if you post for free download that is even better!
I bought a clock on ebay for $24 shipped to me. Just need the correct face!

I didnt mean buying a clock, i meant buying a face. But if you post for free download that is even better!
I bought a clock on ebay for $24 shipped to me. Just need the correct face!

Then you are the one who bought the clock with the black face today. Yes, I have my two clocks from the same seller. But don't ask him: He has no more of them. :lol

Please note: The clock with the black face has white/golden hands. You need to paint them completely black (not the alarm hand - it's golden on both clock versions).

Yeah i bought the black one. Price seemed right.
Thanks for the info on the model, my plan was to take it apart, paint the hands and put the correct face on.

Roland, your screen cap inspired me to find the Amazing Stories Magazines. Ive only found one so far.
The first one is Amazing Stories Vol 27 #7, 1953
P1020119.jpg

If anyone can figure out the one below that let us know!
-Dennis

If anyone can figure out the one below that let us know!
-Dennis

There are TWO below! ;)

I have already found them all.

Left of the clock:
Amazing Stories - October/November 1953 (the one you found)
Amazing Science Fiction Stories - September 1959
Amazing Science Fiction Stories - May 1962

Below the "Revell" bomber modell and the "Tales from Space" comic:
Fantastic Adventures - March 1953

I only need to identify the book where the clock, the watch and the wallet are on top.

I couldnt believe how small the Amazing stories book was. When I got mine in the mail I thought I bought a new DVD it was that small.

After looking for the watch for some time, I am really leaning towards a vintage zenith watch. The bands for the zenith watches seem to be very similar in shape to the one on his night stand. Some of the zenith watches I have seen I feel that if they had a different face it would be almost perfect.
I am going to continue to search, but zenith is the closest I can get with the screen caps that you provided.
Roland, are those blu ray screen caps? I have the BD bttf but dont have a computer that has a BD player, I wish I could get a little more detail on the face of the watch, no numbers it seems, just "dots" , no date, no bezel... any other hints you can give?

After looking for the watch for some time, I am really leaning towards a vintage zenith watch. The bands for the zenith watches seem to be very similar in shape to the one on his night stand. Some of the zenith watches I have seen I feel that if they had a different face it would be almost perfect.
I am going to continue to search, but zenith is the closest I can get with the screen caps that you provided.
Roland, are those blu ray screen caps? I have the BD bttf but dont have a computer that has a BD player, I wish I could get a little more detail on the face of the watch, no numbers it seems, just "dots" , no date, no bezel... any other hints you can give?

I have the Blu-rays, but my screen caps are from 100 % untouched HD files, so there should be absolutely no differences to a Blu-ray screen cap.

I'm pretty sure the face has numbers, no dots. It just seems to be dots because it's blured, but you can still see the characteristic shapes of the different numbers from 1 to 12 even on the small images. I watched the whole movie again to find better shots of the watch and I found the following scene (the moment when George is kissing Lorraine on the "Entchantment under the sea" dance). It's very dark, so I had to lightened it. Looks like large numbers to me.

attachment.php

And you have a perfect timing. Today I got the watch I bought two weeks ago. :) It's a "Pierpont", produced in the 1940s. What do you think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back