BSG TOS Astral Queen

Apophis

Sr Member
Hey all! yeah, its been a while since ive posted anything, been a bad year for modeling.
I have been working on a studio scale rag tag fleet ship the Astral Queen, from Battlestar Galactica TOS for 2 years and have nearly completed the ship.
There is a group of us doing the IDing and building on the RI forums.
Resin Illuminati
The reference we lack are of the top side and starboard side of the ship, if any one could help that would be appreciated!
Here is a list of known kits:
(2) EMA VHD-600 Dished head
1/4" Plastruct "grey" I-beams
1.25 O.D. inch diameter plastic pipe (i.e. Plastruct tube)
(4) 1/72 Hasegawa Leopold Railgun
1/125 Revell U-99
Hasegawa 1/72 Morser Karl
Tamiya 1/35 8Rad
Tamiya 1/35 1/35 Sdkfz 222
Tamiya 1/25 British Centurion MK III
(2) Lindberg 1/350 Bismarck/Tirpitz
1/250 Doyusha Yamato
Revell 1/32 F-4 Phantom
1/25 Raumschiff-Modellbaukasten Wostok 1
AMT Kenworth T-600A (Any Kenworth truck will work.)
Tamiya 1/12 Tyrrell Ford F-1
Johan 1/25 1934 Mercedes-Benz 500k
Tamiya 1/12 312
ESCI 1/72 elefant
Lindberg 1/288 LSD
tamiya 1/35 flak 88 36/37
AMT 1/25 external post trailer
Here are some pics:
These are of the engine section which comprises the Tirpitz and yamato bridge sections.
IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Next up is the hull sections made up of the styrene tubing and Leopold kits and the U-99 sub halves.
IMG_1300.jpg

The underside consists of the leopold rail gun parts and the centurion hull and 55 chevy chassis.
IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

The top now has the Wostok part and Elefant parts attached, and the bridge sections attached.
IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

thats all for now, will post more in a bit!
thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Told ya i would be back lol! Thanks Al!
The next batch of pics i have installed the domes which ae the EMA-VHD-600 dished domes, alos with the 1/4 inch "I" beams cut to length and spaced evenly with a "floor" built onto the insides of the top and bottom domes.
The domes are attached with two 1/4 inch pieces of tubing epoxied to the bottom of the styrene tubing and epoxied to the underside of the top dome.
IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

As you can see the in these pics the 1/32 Revell F-4 Phantom jet engine has been mounted, and the Saturn V 3rd stage with the pvc tubing has been installed for test purposes only and will be removed.
002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the Queen has been assembled and is in primer airing out awaiting the base coat which is have the paint on order.
009-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

005-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

I will be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks Al! roughly about $700.00
She will be painted a 50-50 mixture of white and grime, and a shade of blue, i havent decided which and caboose red.

Thanks Mic, Its taken a few years to figure out 90% of it, theres more but no reference for the starboard side and top side and rear, so, my ship is about 90% correct.

Last edited:
Looks great, Jerry. Going to be awesome when it's all painted up. It looks like its a really nice size to work on. Not too big, not too small. Looking forward to more.

Thanks guys, I didnt do the hunting alone, a large group on RI did the most, i only found a few items, through thier hard work came this creation, i thank them a bunch!

Very nice!!
Are you going to paint it up like the miniature from the original series or the CGI version from the nu?

Thanks Lee, yeah its going to be painted like the old series, it1ll be tough to do the design on the top dome, but i think i can do it! (been praticing) !

Well, folks, im back with an update! The following pics are of the AQ that has a base coat of 50-50 grime and reefer white, in the pics she looks grey, i dunno why, but believe me when i tell you that it looks like dirty old white! I have some markings done on the bottom and the port and starboard side, come later, maybe next weekend i will be painting the red and blue graphics.
Now for some of you that dont know this, i made a discovery that i would like to share with the individuals that want to attempt to paint one of these, the reference is nonexistant for the starboard side for the AQ, so you cant see what is painted on that side, BUT, when the ship was modified for the prison barge there is a pic of the starboard side , now, you ask what does this have to do with the AQ? Well, the sides of the AQ werent touched when it was modified, so, the port side remained the same, so did the starboard side! and low and behold , now you can paint the starboard side!
I am editing thses pics, i did have a filter on it so i took it off and retook the pics so you can see the correct color.
011.jpg

012.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

017.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks jason! ya know, i could finish this ship for wonderfest, but i have no way to get it there, hmmm, now if some one were to stop by my place on thier way there, they could take it and show it off? I live on the way there right off I81.

Howdy, time for an update, weathering is still on going progress, but in lieu of the new reference provided by John T. from the RI forum, i have made some mods, tho minor it did change the ship a little, more mods are on the way, i hope yall will like.
Sorry for the flash.
004-5.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

001-2.jpg

First off a big thanks to everyone that has helped ID nearly all of the parts on this ship, without thier help and support this wouldve taken longer to finish!
I may take better pic later on.
016.jpg

015-1.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

009-3.jpg

008-5.jpg

007-6.jpg

006-5.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

002-5.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back