BSG TOS Astral Queen

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Apophis, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Hey all! yeah, its been a while since ive posted anything, been a bad year for modeling.
    I have been working on a studio scale rag tag fleet ship the Astral Queen, from Battlestar Galactica TOS for 2 years and have nearly completed the ship.
    There is a group of us doing the IDing and building on the RI forums.
    Resin Illuminati
    The reference we lack are of the top side and starboard side of the ship, if any one could help that would be appreciated!
    Here is a list of known kits:
    (2) EMA VHD-600 Dished head
    1/4" Plastruct "grey" I-beams
    1.25 O.D. inch diameter plastic pipe (i.e. Plastruct tube)
    (4) 1/72 Hasegawa Leopold Railgun
    1/125 Revell U-99
    Hasegawa 1/72 Morser Karl
    Tamiya 1/35 8Rad
    Tamiya 1/35 1/35 Sdkfz 222
    Tamiya 1/25 British Centurion MK III
    (2) Lindberg 1/350 Bismarck/Tirpitz
    1/250 Doyusha Yamato
    Revell 1/32 F-4 Phantom
    1/25 Raumschiff-Modellbaukasten Wostok 1
    AMT Kenworth T-600A (Any Kenworth truck will work.)
    Tamiya 1/12 Tyrrell Ford F-1
    Johan 1/25 1934 Mercedes-Benz 500k
    Tamiya 1/12 312
    ESCI 1/72 elefant
    Lindberg 1/288 LSD
    tamiya 1/35 flak 88 36/37
    AMT 1/25 external post trailer
    Here are some pics:
    These are of the engine section which comprises the Tirpitz and yamato bridge sections.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is the hull sections made up of the styrene tubing and Leopold kits and the U-99 sub halves.
    [​IMG]

The underside consists of the leopold rail gun parts and the centurion hull and 55 chevy chassis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top now has the Wostok part and Elefant parts attached, and the bridge sections attached.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thats all for now, will post more in a bit!
    thanks for looking!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Well about time you posted something.

Looking good, lets see more.

Al

3. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Told ya i would be back lol! Thanks Al!
    The next batch of pics i have installed the domes which ae the EMA-VHD-600 dished domes, alos with the 1/4 inch "I" beams cut to length and spaced evenly with a "floor" built onto the insides of the top and bottom domes.
    The domes are attached with two 1/4 inch pieces of tubing epoxied to the bottom of the styrene tubing and epoxied to the underside of the top dome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the in these pics the 1/32 Revell F-4 Phantom jet engine has been mounted, and the Saturn V 3rd stage with the pvc tubing has been installed for test purposes only and will be removed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  4. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Hey all, im back with a few more pics of the Astral Queen/Prison barge from Battlestar Galactica TOS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Well, the Queen has been assembled and is in primer airing out awaiting the base coat which is have the paint on order.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will be happy to answer any questions.

6. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Looking great Jerry, how much did all the kits cost to make this?

Al

7. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Thanks Al! roughly about $700.00
    She will be painted a 50-50 mixture of white and grime, and a shade of blue, i havent decided which and caboose red.

8. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Great job.

I don't know how you guys figure these out.

9. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Thanks Mic, Its taken a few years to figure out 90% of it, theres more but no reference for the starboard side and top side and rear, so, my ship is about 90% correct.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  10. dbhs

dbhs Well-Known Member

Looks great, Jerry. Going to be awesome when it's all painted up. It looks like its a really nice size to work on. Not too big, not too small. Looking forward to more.

11. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

You go it Jerry good hunting good work!:thumbsup

12. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Thanks guys, I didnt do the hunting alone, a large group on RI did the most, i only found a few items, through thier hard work came this creation, i thank them a bunch!

13. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Very nice!!
    Are you going to paint it up like the miniature from the original series or the CGI version from the nu?

14. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Thanks Lee, yeah its going to be painted like the old series, it1ll be tough to do the design on the top dome, but i think i can do it! (been praticing) !

15. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Well, folks, im back with an update! The following pics are of the AQ that has a base coat of 50-50 grime and reefer white, in the pics she looks grey, i dunno why, but believe me when i tell you that it looks like dirty old white! I have some markings done on the bottom and the port and starboard side, come later, maybe next weekend i will be painting the red and blue graphics.
    Now for some of you that dont know this, i made a discovery that i would like to share with the individuals that want to attempt to paint one of these, the reference is nonexistant for the starboard side for the AQ, so you cant see what is painted on that side, BUT, when the ship was modified for the prison barge there is a pic of the starboard side , now, you ask what does this have to do with the AQ? Well, the sides of the AQ werent touched when it was modified, so, the port side remained the same, so did the starboard side! and low and behold , now you can paint the starboard side!
    I am editing thses pics, i did have a filter on it so i took it off and retook the pics so you can see the correct color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  16. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome!!!

17. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Thanks jason! ya know, i could finish this ship for wonderfest, but i have no way to get it there, hmmm, now if some one were to stop by my place on thier way there, they could take it and show it off? I live on the way there right off I81.

18. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Time for an update, completed the graphics on mthe dome this past weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Howdy, time for an update, weathering is still on going progress, but in lieu of the new reference provided by John T. from the RI forum, i have made some mods, tho minor it did change the ship a little, more mods are on the way, i hope yall will like.
    Sorry for the flash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

First off a big thanks to everyone that has helped ID nearly all of the parts on this ship, without thier help and support this wouldve taken longer to finish!
    I may take better pic later on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Talkierg

Talkierg Well-Known Member

Outstanding:thumbsup

22. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fab work, Jerry!

23. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

My my, that looks incredible! Everything about this build has been first class from the kitbashing to the paint work.

24. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Thanks guys! It was well worth the time to do the research and build, i think i will do a Prison Barge style next!

25. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Hello fellow modelers! Im back with some new pics! I took some much better pics of the AQ in natural light, i also replaced some stuff with the correct parts, so check out my Photobucket, you`ll be glad you did!

26. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Very nice!!!!!