BSG Season 1 Blaster Build

Kokanee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello!

I was able to pick up one of Matsuo's Season 1 Battlestar Galactica Blaster kits last month, and finally got around to building it over the course of a few lunch hours in the woodshop @ Work.

The kit arrived partly assembled; taking everything apart resulted in the following parts:

- Resin Smith & Wesson revolver
- Clamshell blaster halves (x2) and
- Resin grip halves (x2)

This isn't the "cadillac" model that Matt makes, but rather his static resin version. I elected to purchase this version to get through Canadian customs vs the airsoft version. Still, this version has had the clamshell halves produced through cold casting so they buff up quite nice with fine steel wool. It should be noted the revolver is not cold casted and is a standard grey resin.

I was not happy with the revolver having a plugged barrel, so I whipped up a new barrel in 3D Studio and had it printed out of metal on shapeways.

Some careful tapping and threading later, and the new barrel screwed right into the existing resin revolver. The resin used is very soft, it sands like bondo and I wasn't sure it would take a thread but it did. I won't be unscrewing and rescrewing this barrel in so I'm not concerned with it over the long term.

With that done, it was time to paint everything up with some bbq black rattlecan paint. Due to it being cold in the shop (15c) I left things overnight to cure and came back the next day.

After some assembly work, grabbed the steel wool again and buffed the paint away on the high points for some holster wear. Overall very pleased with this kit, it was a fun quick build (easily and afternoon project in the summer) and is a fine addition to my collection.

I'm looking to print off and paint up an AP round for the launcher once I get a chance to get some time on my 3D printer, then I'll consider this complete.

Cheers!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know thatMatsuo still has these avalable!! I have the "licensed" kit of Matsuo's pistol that a well know resin kit manufacturer sells online but you hit the mother load!!! Oh by the way, what did you do with the grips; leave them or clear coat them??? Again NICE Work!!!

Last edited:
Nice. Looks like yours is a newer Matsuo kit than mine. Built this back in 2012. I put a cheapo airsoft inside to have trigger pull and cylinder rotation.
matsuoblaster18.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know thatMatsuo still has these avalable!! I have the "licensed" kit of Matsuo's pistol that a well know resin kit manufacturer sells online but you hit the mother load!!! Oh by the way, what did you do with the grips; leave them or clear coat them??? Again NICE Work!!!

I am considering a clear coat on the grips indeed!

new grip.png
all parts.png
old grip.jpg

The pictures above are of my purchase of the "licensed" Matsuo Pistol. The two halves are now one unit with the trigger guard and trigger and grip frame being one piece. The black grips are part oif the kit but I received the familiar brown grips from the man, Matsuo himself. He said it would be a bit of work to get those grips to fit the revised gun but he said to give a shot. Hopefully I'm up to the mod (any suggestions would be appreciated) . By the way, could someone tell me why the picture rotated????

Last edited:
I found that the grips on my kit fit very very loose; so I slathered the pistol grip frame in some 5 min epoxy before I installed the grip halves and that took care of that.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back