BSG FTL Jump Key ?

Wolvster1

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
I'm not sure if this is the place so Mods feel free to MOVE...

I'm back into my ALL THINGS BSG mode and I remember LONG,LONG
ago the talk of the JUMP KEY from the show. Loved that Prop and did a search
on it and found this thread...

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=17097&page=6&highlight=jump+key

Problem is, what looks like a SUCCESSFUL build the thread went POOF and nothing
else was said ? Was there ever a RUN on this as it appears VERY screen accurate
and quite an IMPRESSIVE build!

:)

Yeah, this was the only NUBSG piece that I wanted, but if the run happened, it got by ME!
NOTHING gets by me!!!

Ok, I didn't " think " I was going nuts. When I found that thread
I was like YEAH MAN, THEY DID IT ! Then, POOF...

:(

Mabye if it's up on the front page for a few days someone
might chime in and let us know what happened ?

I had one of Gordon Gekko's - it was awesome - it lit up and was metal (IIRC). I was waiting for one of Rebelscum's but I don't think that one made it to production. And epilepticsquirl (and his plans) seemed to drop off the grid...

Gordon Gekko's was resin (or maybe 3D printed plastic), painted metallic/aluminum silver. This is one of his:
https://www.yourprops.com/FTL-Drive-Key-replica-movie-prop-Battlestar-Galactica-TV-2003-YP62350.html

I think that was the closest 'run' of the FTL key made... (Although I don't think he made that many of them...)
The all-metal one made from measurements of the screen-used prop was finished, as seen in the link in the first post of this thread, but a run was never made. One obstacle that needed to be tackled was finding the correct acrylic rods for the lights. The Flash Fire 'personal lights' used in the actual prop can't be found anymore, so new rods would have to be sourced, and installed differently with LEDs and such. I think just 'raw' rods of the right type can be sourced from a factory in China, but you have to order a ridiculous amount of them (like $1000 worth or something, and they probably only cost 5 cents each...).

The other issue was that after making the aluminum replica, an attempt was made to officially license/sell it through Anovos, who has (or had) the license for BSG props (they had the replica on display at their booth at Comic-Con a couple of years ago). Somewhere during negotiations with NBC for the license, the studio basically dumped their entire licensing dept (people laid off, no one left to contact, things like that), so it's kind of been in limbo ever since... And I'm not sure if Anovos is really into BSG anymore, they've moved on to new franchises. But even if the licensing gets officially abandoned, there's still the issue of the rods... The replica you see in the old thread is using the Flash Fire lights, some of the last ones anyone could find forsale... If anyone can source a bunch of these, we might be able to drum up some interest again... :)

Last edited:
Are these the light's? Coast 7598RE Flash Fire- Red beam General Use Emergency Light

These are in red tho. 75 of them on evil bay at the moment. couldn't the red LED be switched for a blue? or is the rod itself the LED?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, that does look promising... Never thought of looking for refurbished ones, and I thought only blue had a clear rod (there's red, green and blue, and from pictures I had seen, I thought red and greed actually had red and green tinted plastic rods...)

This one appears to be the right size, and is clear/white when off. All you'd have to do is take it apart (hopefully not too hard) and replace the LED...

7596 is the blue one used in the original prop. I assume 7697 is green and 7598 is red...

Nice find though, would be a good source just for the rods and make a different kind of light system with a proper switch anyway.

Hi guys... an update from me on this. RIK pointed the thread out to me, thanks.

About the time I got the key sorted out to make anovos asked to get it licensed by NBC Universal. They did and then nothing happened at all with NBC to move it along.

Now that it's be so long with no activity I think it's cool to revisit it as a run here. Though I did replicate the prop using the correct light sticks and made a couple of those, I actually engineered them to use their own light source, battery and hidden switch. I sourced the correct acrylic sticks from China as well.

I recently got involved with Blue Realm Studios here in Dallas, and this and some other stuff I need to do but haven't had time for will be coming through there.

Are these the light's? Coast 7598RE Flash Fire- Red beam General Use Emergency Light

These are in red tho. 75 of them on evil bay at the moment. couldn't the red LED be switched for a blue? or is the rod itself the LED?

View attachment 580406

fyi, the rods are not colored. it's the LED. I have several of the correct lights, but it's not obvious that you can swap out the LED. It's my guess the assembly is pressed into place and other than just trying to press it out, I can't see anything that unscrews.

fyi, the rods are not colored. it's the LED. I have several of the correct lights, but it's not obvious that you can swap out the LED. It's my guess the assembly is pressed into place and other than just trying to press it out, I can't see anything that unscrews.

Then i will bash It with a hammer....lol :lol

Yeah, I've dealt with trying to take apart laser pointers before, sometimes it isn't easy. :)

But you can just unscrew the rod, and mount it in front of any light source, so it might be a quick and easy solution to get some of the rods. I wasn't sure if the factory source from China was very feasible since I thought you would have to order hundreds of feet of it or something...

Hi guys... an update from me on this. RIK pointed the thread out to me, thanks.

About the time I got the key sorted out to make anovos asked to get it licensed by NBC Universal. They did and then nothing happened at all with NBC to move it along.

Now that it's be so long with no activity I think it's cool to revisit it as a run here. Though I did replicate the prop using the correct light sticks and made a couple of those, I actually engineered them to use their own light source, battery and hidden switch. I sourced the correct acrylic sticks from China as well.

I recently got involved with Blue Realm Studios here in Dallas, and this and some other stuff I need to do but haven't had time for will be coming through there.

All I have to say Sir, is IF clear your plate I think you'll have SEVERAL sales here
when you do a run... Count me IN !!! ;)

I did have to order a lot of them, but it's not a terrible price even if I never use most of them. I even had them cut bevel and polish them for me.

Yeah, I've dealt with trying to take apart laser pointers before, sometimes it isn't easy. :)

But you can just unscrew the rod, and mount it in front of any light source, so it might be a quick and easy solution to get some of the rods. I wasn't sure if the factory source from China was very feasible since I thought you would have to order hundreds of feet of it or something...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back