BSG Colonial Viper Mk vii

modelerdave

Sr Member
Hey everyone. This is only my third model kit as an adult. The first two were a TIE interceptor and TIE fighter.

I started this build about a year ago, worked on it for a while and then put it aside as a series of cascading life problems overwhelmed my time. I finally picked this back up about two months ago and have been slowly working my way toward the finish line. I am not a fast builder by any means.

The pilot is now not going to be used. The photo etch probably won't be seen very well either.
XhefsWml.jpg

Photo etch landing bays will be largely hidden now that I've decided to mount this to a custom landing pad.
R7Wzyxol.jpg

gEkDDMul.jpg

Original cockpit seat with photo etch belts. I decided I hated this seat and redid it. More below.
zikdmpOl.jpg

Some 3D printed parts I'm going to use to liven up the landing pad.
Te2EOFEl.jpg

Painted, weathered, and with some decals.
K0K6gpQl.jpg

rAOqbhyl.jpg

This is going to be an open pit in the landing bay. Build from sheet styrene, with some TIE fighter base connectors, a guitar string, some solder, a small metal tube, and a few pieces of rube styrene as details.
wEyKO0dl.jpg

The new cockpit seat compared to the old one. I'm much happier. Took a lot of sanding and filing on the bottom to make it fit. I did reuse the photo etch belts.
ODYUiTDl.jpg

L74Z8eMl.jpg

In the cockpit.
qGEtPiql.jpg

Landing pad started. This is just a FOR SALE sign from Lowe's. I got the idea from Boyd! Thanks!
Eic7jdhl.jpg

Weathered and with a cool white SMD in place in the pit. The black base is a $12 picture frame with some foam board beneath the for sale sign for strength.
pFklvLjl.jpg

MpXbj8Kl.jpg

Lighting test of the cockpit. If you compare this to the earlier unlit cockpit you'll see I swapped out the main view screen image. The first one just looks too much like Eric Cartman -- it's all I could see. So I cut that out and used a different one.
hEPVyY2l.jpg

I've just finished the engines, which will be lit with flickering blue 1.3mm LEDs from Model Train Software. I need one more light to finish the cockpit and then I can start putting this all together. I'm still unsure how I'm going to get the wiring into the base. I'd like it to be invisible but I'm not sure how I'm going to manage it. I'm thinking I may put in a fake fuel hose or something.

Here's the front landing strut. These things were kind of a pain to get out the seam lines and paint in a way that they look kind of interesting.
Pog5LTrl.jpg

The engines. The side control rods were also rather difficult to attach. I gave them a dry brushing of copper to give these a slightly more interesting color variation.
mGupbwCl.jpg

Any tips are welcome! I'm still figuring all of this out as I go along.

Dave

BRILLIANT! Love the attention to detail. And you gave me an idea for my own project(s) with those guitar strings! :)

BRILLIANT! Love the attention to detail. And you gave me an idea for my own project(s) with those guitar strings! :)

Thank you. I can't take credit for the guitar string idea. I got that from Christopher Olson on YouTube. You should definitely check out his work if you're not familiar.

Thank you so much for sharing your work,Dave.Every time I see something like this pass by on the forum,I realise how much fun modeling was for me in the past (mainly US Army vehicles,but nevertheless).Love the attention for detail you invested

And it's DONE!

I kept the weathering fairly minimal. It's easy to go overboard and I didn't want to make this one too banged up.

Lots of pics. Sorry about the quality, i only have my iPhone to use and the indoor lighting is horrible.

I'm also going to write a full post-mortem about what I learned from this build, but not until tomorrow. I need a drink!

First try with an automotive paint from a rattle can. I disliked the outcome and primed over it to start fresh.
LJ2r4YJl.jpg

Some weathering close ups.
GS5zOzSl.jpg

zE7o4cfl.jpg

FrmemOJljpg

O0znHgJl.jpg

So much putty along the body seams to get the stupid cockpit to fit. Thank god for weathering to cover up the larger mistakes.
FfBpB5Yl.jpg

You won't see much of the underside once it's mounted.
jXveqohl.jpg

I added a scratch-built throttle since the kit only has one mounted in the pilot's hand, and I'm not using the pilot.
7Q5t1iyl.jpg

QUFf5ril.jpg

The Galactica and Viper decals here are silvering pretty badly. Not sure what happened. Grrr...
3gsI8CXl.jpg

Engine lights flicker.
j2lv2c1l.jpg

pUthWa8l.jpg

QkyEzHYl.jpg

pHhdTxol.jpg

akJ0Flll.jpg

o6wQbRul.jpg

GcbvZ80l.jpg

This really nice, great job! The weathering is just right. Hope I get mine to look as nice.

- - - Updated - - -

This really well done, great job! The weathering is just right. Hope I get mine to look as nice.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back