BSG Clyon Basestar

TD-0488

Is anyone kitbashing one? I used to have site where someone was making a Galactica but there has not been any new post in awhile. Anyone with new progress on these two?

I have seen photos of one person's efforts to build a basestar and know of only one other attempt. There is so little reference available to try to recreate this subject. For some reason, this design does not seem to be very popular (but I have always liked it).

My site is fairly active on the topic of Galactica, then there is the Yahoo Galactica Builder's Group. Most folks who are building these replicas keep their discussions to private e-mail and there is not a lot of posting on the boards anymore. The primary reason for this is competition for kits and parts -- as more people get into building studio-scale replicas the parts/kits get harder and harder to find and more and more expensive. Because of the high cost and limited availability of reference material, very few projects ever get completed.

Links:

http://www.StarshipBuilder.com (no membership required to view posts)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/galacticabuilders/ (requires free membership to view photos)

"My site is fairly active on the topic of Galactica, then there is the Yahoo Galactica Builder's Group. Most folks who are building these replicas keep their discussions to private e-mail and there is not a lot of posting on the boards anymore. The primary reason for this is competition for kits and parts -- as more people get into building studio-scale replicas the parts/kits get harder and harder to find and more and more expensive. Because of the high cost and limited availability of reference material, very few projects ever get completed."

Yes... I've been to and signed up on your site. I learned very quickly to watch what I say and how I say it.

But that having been said, it s a great site.

And the fact that the kit parts are geting harder to find really leads me to believe that there would be a pretty good cottage-market for resin recast parts. Am I correct?

-Gordon

... I've been to and signed up on your site. I learned very quickly to watch what I say and how I say it.

Not quite sure what to make of that, but glad you enjoyed it nonetheless. :)

And the fact that the kit parts are geting harder to find really leads me to believe that there would be a pretty good cottage-market for resin recast parts. Am I correct?

Absolutely. That is, if people can figure out what parts they need in the first place. Lack of sufficient reference is probably the biggest problem, followed by scarcity of kits and the resulting extreme cost. We're talking thousands of $ in original kits to build most subjects and some cost 5 figures. Then there is the sheer volume of parts for some subjects. You would need a lot of people in the market for all those parts to make them cost effective. There don't seem to be any easy answers. . .

good luck I have been ID ing parts for the tos series for years and have little to show for it sure the regular known kits are posted everywhere but its the oddball kits that are next to impossible to id or find

hey what if we could get the financial backing from a lottery winner
ha pipe dream

The original was on ebay a few months ago. I thought I'd saved the pics but can't find them here at home. I'll check my work computer on Monday.

I think this is it:

0e_1_b.jpg

I don't think that's from the auction, as it had some damage/missing pieces. They aren't on my work comp, either...must've forgotten to save 'em. Drat.

Cool. :)

Obviously not as damaged as I remembered--I do notice, now, the missing crossbeam in the recess closest to the camera.

Ah, yes. I once held that piece in my little hand. It's a lot bigger than I imagined, this model must be HUGE in person. 8)

Perhaps it would be possible to take some good screenshots from the "The Hand Of God" episode, where Adama is fiddling with a tactic model of the Basestar (which to my knowledge and logic sense, would be the actual studiomodel).

I can't do the caps yet. I only have a bad divX-version. The DVD-box should dump into the mailbox somtimes this week.

Happy modeling
Niels

Hey Sleepless.

WOW, very nice pics.

There's also a couple of nice pics on the DVD-box (got my DVD-box btw...) Not high res. enough for detailing, but ok for overall measurements.

Cheers
Niels

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back