BSG 1980

SurferGeek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With BSG 1980 showing on SciFi today... I remembered how much I loved those bikes back then. Now they look pretty silly. ;)

Turbocycles

Originally posted by Talisen@Feb 21 2006, 11:21 AM
But don't they fly? When are they putting that fine show on DVD??
[snapback]1189703[/snapback]​

But of course they fly... Silly. :p

I wouldn't have put it past Lucas to take his inspiration for the ROTJ speeder bikes from those G-80 cycles. After all, he sued Larson over the original Galactica series, so this might have been his little inside joke...

You guys maybe think? :D

- Gabe

I watched as much as I could of it today. I had to give up... not even "enjoyably bad." Whatever my complaints about the original BSG, it was Shakespeare compared to "1980." (The Starbuck episode being a notable, singular exception.)

As bad as the show was, though, the bikes did look pretty cool. I'd take one.

I just watched it too and was it Bad....

Adama taking orders from Couzin Oliver eeek.. Dr. Zee was the worst next to the Super Scouts.

The cheap sets ( scaled down BSG leftovers )

That human sidekick Jamie... and you could just feel the lame tv rules being forced into the scripts. It was early so you had to have some learning content in there so little history bits were placed in with the time travel.

I actually have the Starbuck ep on VHS that was put out from Goodtimes video .

Originally posted by SmilingOtter@Feb 21 2006, 10:01 PM
I watched as much as I could of it today.  I had to give up...  not even "enjoyably bad."  Whatever my complaints about the original BSG, it was Shakespeare compared to "1980."  (The Starbuck episode being a notable, singular exception.)

"I extend my weapon so that I may perform the following function..."

But really folks, this show had THE recipe for success:

Wolfman Jack,
Flying motorcycles,
two-seater vipers,
Mike Brady (never realized until now that he and Cousin Oliver were in the same show.)
Nazis

The list goes on... Don't know why it didn't go 3 seasons.

But seriously- Those bikes are still a favorite of mine. I'd still rather watch G1980 than Greetings From Earth any day.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ Feb 23 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]1191666[/snapback]</div>
Originally posted by SmilingOtter@Feb 21 2006, 10:01 PM
I watched as much as I could of it today. I had to give up... not even "enjoyably bad." Whatever my complaints about the original BSG, it was Shakespeare compared to "1980." (The Starbuck episode being a notable, singular exception.)

"I extend my weapon so that I may perform the following function..."

But really folks, this show had THE recipe for success:

Wolfman Jack,
Flying motorcycles,
two-seater vipers,
Mike Brady (never realized until now that he and Cousin Oliver were in the same show.)
Nazis

The list goes on... Don't know why it didn't go 3 seasons.

But seriously- Those bikes are still a favorite of mine. I'd still rather watch G1980 than Greetings From Earth any day.

Mark
[/b]

Considering that they were originally conceived for the second season of the original Battlestar Galactica, its not surprising that they made themselves seen in Gal 1980.

There's a pretty lame Season 2 script where some Galactica repair/maintenance guys steal three of these bikes and a shuttle in an attempt to settle on a planet away from the fleet. They basically become a biker gang on a little primitive human outpost and are foiled by Athena, Boxey, Starbuck, Boomer and Apollo.

Not exactly Shakespeare, but better than Gal 1980.

-Gordon

I had it on this Monday when Sci-Fi ran it from 8-4. It was on in the background while I was painting........not too bad when taken in small doses like that :p

Steve

Here's some great info here...
galctc82.jpg

http://www.universalhartland.com/code/galc21mc.shtml

Someone on ASAP actually had one of the bikes from the show and was about to restore it.

Gordon, do you remember that?

Darrin

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back