Bruce Boxleitner wore my Replica Tron helmet!

MrSinistar

If you can't tell from my weird avatar, I'm a huge Tron fan; so when I found out that several actors from Tron, including Tron himself, Bruce Boxleitner, was coming to MegaCon I jumped at the chance to meet up with him. The line for autographs with Bruce was pretty long so I went ahead and said hi to Peter Jurasik, who played Crom in the original movie. Mr. Jurasik is one of the nicest people I ever met. He absolutely loved my helmet and immediately asked if he can wear it. I was floored. My helmet has reflective tape for the circuitry, so when I take a picture with flash, it glows just like in the movie:
423778_3402575630177_1443438409_3385071_1380162188_n.jpg

426118_3402576270193_1443438409_3385072_1796151919_n.jpg

"Hey Cindy! Look at me!" :lol

421609_3402577390221_1443438409_3385073_1479293436_n.jpg

Again, Mr. Jurasik was absolutely fantastic to talk to and a honor to meet in person.

After waiting for about an half hour in line to meet up in Bruce, the lady who was the assistant or whatever, was making hurry up and grab a picture to autograph and get the hell out. When I finally got to Mr. Boxleitner, he was just as awesome as Peter and wanted to wear my helmet as well. I was literally in shock :lol

432093_3402561709829_1443438409_3385069_1376399240_n.jpg

He was also flagging Cindy down the aisle and flaunting the "Tron pose". I still can't believe all of this just happened. XD

Congrats to you! That's so cool! I've met a few famous people and dealt with the 'push-to-rush' of their handlers and I always hated when I had to run by only having a chance to say a quick 'hello' and then it's all over.

Good for you! That's too cool!!

Awesome story & pix!

I don't have any desire to meet most celebrities, but those two are both on my extremely short list (for their work in Tron &, more importantly, B5). Congrats! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Hope he brought extra shirts: He wore the same one on Saturday. That or this was on Saturday and you're the same guy who stood near me during the panel and tried to break the water cooler.

Hope he brought extra shirts: He wore the same one on Saturday. That or this was on Saturday and you're the same guy who stood near me during the panel and tried to break the water cooler.

No, that was me... :lol But, I think leaning on the thing doesn't constitute as trying to break the water cooler. :p

Cool! I would like to meet the Tron crew as well someday. There is suppoed to something going on for, Tron at Wonderfest (in Kentucky), but they haven't confirmed what yet.

Gotta love Bruce. He always seems so happy to meet his fans. I really wish I'd had the taken the time to meet him when he was in the UK a couple of years ago.

Awesome helmet as well.

LOL! Awesome. I got his autograph and told him I couldn't wait to see the next "TRON" film. And he definitely is a nice guy. :D

I met Mr Jurasik a few Dragon*Cons back and yeah, he's a really good guy to his fans.

I felt pretty sure he was sick of looking at Londo pics, so I scoured the dealer room for something from Tron. I didn't think they had made a Crom figure, so I just got a light cycle instead. He seemed pleased to be remembered in the movie.

I only asked that he sign it with something Londo would say, so it says "To my good and dear friend..."

Okay, hold on a minute... Why haven't they gone the reflective material route for Legaçy ? Considering how well it works on your pictures, and how much details it brings, I'd say I'm quite puzzled here. o_O

Okay, hold on a minute... Why haven't they gone the reflective material route for Legaçy ? Considering how well it works on your pictures, and how much details it brings, I'd say I'm quite puzzled here. o_O

The problem is that when it comes to lighting, most of the lighting is stationary. I mean, Redheads, 1ks, 2ks and Big Eye 10ers are good examples. They're all set up to be stationary. The only normal lighting that moves is the sun (which is used primarily during the daytime in addition to the other lights that would have to be set up to accompany the natural lighting) and any stationary lights outside a moving vehicle during the nighttime (which nowadays isn't used as much) or a simulated night-time driving scenes (where they often have a pair of headlights in the background, as well as mounting a 1k on a stand with a movable head to simulate the overhead roadlights for night-time scenes).

When it comes to Legacy, almost all of the lights used to light the sets are stationary (such as the lights set up underneath the floor of the Flynn's hideout, the lights in the floor and walls of the End of Line Club, etc). The only lights that are able to move are the EL Wiring in the suits and the lighting rig inside the ID Discs. The big issue with reflective lighting is that unless you can move the light alone with the camera, the reflectiveness will not be as uniformed as it would be if it was a stationary shot (like with the pictures shown). Not to mention, if you could use portable lights (like light panels that are used for on-location news reports), you'd have to have a portable power supply that would eventually run out after a long period of use (a good example of this are the lighting for the suits, which from what I remember reading, only lasted 12 minutes per battery due to the amount of the EL Wiring used).

My point is that using reflective tape is good for doing photographs, but when it comes to using it in films, it wouldn't work as well unless the light is moving along with it, and it wouldn't be as uniformed (remember how the glowing effects of the original TRON didn't continue very well when an actor turned or were moving? Basically, you'd end up with something like that). It's easier to use EL wiring when it comes to motion pictures, because they're portable lights that can be evenly lit and uniformed, though they do have limited run time.

I hope I've helped in answering the question. If I haven't, please let me know and I'll try to do it again and try to simplify it.

The problem is that when it comes to lighting, most of the lighting is stationary. I mean, Redheads, 1ks, 2ks and Big Eye 10ers are good examples. They're all set up to be stationary. The only normal lighting that moves is the sun (which is used primarily during the daytime in addition to the other lights that would have to be set up to accompany the natural lighting) and any stationary lights outside a moving vehicle during the nighttime (which nowadays isn't used as much) or a simulated night-time driving scenes (where they often have a pair of headlights in the background, as well as mounting a 1k on a stand with a movable head to simulate the overhead roadlights for night-time scenes).

When it comes to Legacy, almost all of the lights used to light the sets are stationary (such as the lights set up underneath the floor of the Flynn's hideout, the lights in the floor and walls of the End of Line Club, etc). The only lights that are able to move are the EL Wiring in the suits and the lighting rig inside the ID Discs. The big issue with reflective lighting is that unless you can move the light alone with the camera, the reflectiveness will not be as uniformed as it would be if it was a stationary shot (like with the pictures shown). Not to mention, if you could use portable lights (like light panels that are used for on-location news reports), you'd have to have a portable power supply that would eventually run out after a long period of use (a good example of this are the lighting for the suits, which from what I remember reading, only lasted 12 minutes per battery due to the amount of the EL Wiring used).

My point is that using reflective tape is good for doing photographs, but when it comes to using it in films, it wouldn't work as well unless the light is moving along with it, and it wouldn't be as uniformed (remember how the glowing effects of the original TRON didn't continue very well when an actor turned or were moving? Basically, you'd end up with something like that). It's easier to use EL wiring when it comes to motion pictures, because they're portable lights that can be evenly lit and uniformed, though they do have limited run time.

I hope I've helped in answering the question. If I haven't, please let me know and I'll try to do it again and try to simplify it.

That makes sense to me. :) I think the best way to recreate the circuitry effect in today digital editors is to shoot via green screen, with the blue chromakey on the circuitry, then patch the footage in so that you have background composite, circuitry composite and then remove the flesh tones or tone them down a bit.

BTW, CB, I saw you as R.J. I shouted out your name but I was too far away to run up and say Hi. Great costume, BTW!

I met Bruce and Cindy both on Saturday and got them to sign my Tron poster, both were very cool and took their time to speak and pretty much carry on a full conversation with everyone that came up to them.....

ROFL!

Now that is VERY cool. The reflective strip lighting is VERY effective in those pictures (that photo of Bruce striking the Tron pose is priceless!). The guy certainly knows to respect his fans.

Jeff Bridges had one in his Tron interview for the DVD about a decade ago (not sure if some prop guy gave it to him for the interview or if it was for his own personal collection). It would make for a pretty interesting convention if all the "programs" went on stage with those helmets during a photo opportunity. :D

Wow the tape really works well.

Bruce is a top bloke, met him a few months ago at a con in the UK. (i don't think anyone knew who he was!)

Wow!!! Just fantastic! I remember following your build on the helmet wich looks great. But, now to have Peter and Bruce wear your helmet, that is beyond awesome!!! Now, put it in a glass case and never let bare human hands touch it again.:)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back