Browning M2HB, M2A1, M3 & AN/M2 machine gun 3D printed - Terminator RSB-80?

That really would take up a lot of room.

1615080871632.png

TazMan2000

Back to designing again.
Below is the Mk123 Lightweight Tripod which was made out of aluminum and usually painted a gloss black.
The older M3 mount was very heavy and took longer to set up and take down.
MK123 Mount.jpg

My rendition is a bit different and displayed in an olive drab colour, similar to the old M3 mount.
Currently I'm segmenting the sections to fit on a 12" bed. I'm also designing the parts so that they will accommodate a 1/2" copper pipe, which should tremendously strengthen the structure. It will be able to be folded up. I still have to design the Traverse and Elevation Mechanism which sits on the Traverse Bar.
The whole thing is pretty big. about 1.4 metres long.

Mk123 Tripod.JPG

TazMan2000

Back to designing again.
Below is the Mk123 Lightweight Tripod which was made out of aluminum and usually painted a gloss black.
The older M3 mount was very heavy and took longer to set up and take down.
View attachment 1439759

My rendition is a bit different and displayed in an olive drab colour, similar to the old M3 mount.
Currently I'm segmenting the sections to fit on a 12" bed. I'm also designing the parts so that they will accommodate a 1/2" copper pipe, which should tremendously strengthen the structure. It will be able to be folded up. I still have to design the Traverse and Elevation Mechanism which sits on the Traverse Bar.
The whole thing is pretty big. about 1.4 metres long.

View attachment 1439766

TazMan2000
Make sure that you make that tripod fairly sturdy because SOP when firing an M2 from one of those tripods is to plant your feet against the two back facing legs of the tripod while sitting behind the gun itself. It, obviously, doesn't need to be able to withstand the recoil of a real M2 firing, but I would make sure that it's sturdy enough so that if you sit behind it with your feet up against the legs it doesn't just snap.

Make sure that you make that tripod fairly sturdy because SOP when firing an M2 from one of those tripods is to plant your feet against the two back facing legs of the tripod while sitting behind the gun itself. It, obviously, doesn't need to be able to withstand the recoil of a real M2 firing, but I would make sure that it's sturdy enough so that if you sit behind it with your feet up against the legs it doesn't just snap.

I designed the M2 and M3s to accommodate a 1/2" copper pipe in the barrel and I was amazed at how strong it was. I'm doing the same here. Mind you this thing is designed to be a prop replica and won't have to withstand the rigors of combat. It still will be pretty strong. I'm thinking the weakest point will be the arm that holds the forward leg.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Just found this thread. The weapon Franco used was also seen mounted on the car Reese drove in the nightmare sequence and is also seen at the beginning of T2. It has a bowl shape down where the barrel meets the main gun, so none of the original barrel is seen on the gun.

FutureWarRifle-Chase-04.jpg
FutureWarRifle-Chase-06.jpg
FutureWarRifle-Chase-07.jpg

FutureWarRifle-T2-01.jpg
FutureWarRifle-T2-02.jpg

Just found this thread. The weapon Franco used was also seen mounted on the car Reese drove in the nightmare sequence and is also seen at the beginning of T2. It has a bowl shape down where the barrel meets the main gun, so none of the original barrel is seen on the gun.

View attachment 1441157View attachment 1441158View attachment 1441159
View attachment 1441160View attachment 1441161

Good eye. But I'm sure the original M2HB barrel was used, just no barrel support. I'm surprised there aren't more production images on the net.

TazMan2000

In a design phase now before I go into a printing phase. Now into sights and accessories.

Both are Picatinny type sight mounts. The one on the bottom is a newer style

M2 Picatinny Mount.JPG

M2 Picatinny Mount1.JPG

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I should have checked before if the scale on the Mk123 was correct, but it seems to be.

Mk123 Mount 3D.JPG

Forrest.jpg

In addition, I've decided to do the larger and more robust M3 Tripod. This one is going to be a bit more difficult since it will have extendable keyed legs and a sliding traverse bar. I don't believe that PLA will be anywhere strong enough for the front leg since. The real one has a steel 'U" welded on the end. If this is going to be able to bear any weight, I'm going to have to fabricate something out of aluminum.
The legs are 1.5 inches in diameter and about 4.6 feet long.

Machine_gun_M2_1.jpg

M3 Mount.JPG

TazMan2000

Good eye. But I'm sure the original M2HB barrel was used, just no barrel support. I'm surprised there aren't more production images on the net.

TazMan2000
Oh yeah, I'm sure they just plopped the larger shroud with the bowl at the end on top of the actual barrel. Seems like a blank firing weapon in the movie.

If you manage to create an accurate version of the Franco handheld version I would love to be able to get a 1:6 version of it.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they just plopped the larger shroud with the bowl at the end on top of the actual barrel. Seems like a blank firing weapon in the movie.

If you manage to create an accurate version of the Franco handheld version I would love to be able to get a 1:6 version of it.

The trouble is, there is very little to go on, for me to make something accurate. Mostly just blurry screen grabs. Fan wiki pages go all over the place with screenshots from games and non-canon designs. I'm surprised there are not any production photos of this weapon. Perhaps it was the hectic filming schedule, or the prop just looked so terrible in real life, that they didn't bother to take pictures of it.

It wouldn't be hard to design attachments to fit my full size props, but when you enlarge or shrink down models, most times the dimensions aren't great for printing or the parts don't fit. The M2 would have to be totally redesigned. It would probably be easier to buy a 1/6 scale toy replica of a M2 and to modify that. I believe Dragon makes a scale model.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Yeah. There was one member here on the forum who had access to the original weapons used in T1 and T2, I believe, but not much was mentioned about the Franco weapon. There is an older discussion about it here on the forum.

In smaller scale you would just print the whole thing combined in one go, not individual parts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and see if I can find one and then just make a simple shroud for the barrel.

Yeah. There was one member here on the forum who had access to the original weapons used in T1 and T2, I believe, but not much was mentioned about the Franco weapon. There is an older discussion about it here on the forum.

In smaller scale you would just print the whole thing combined in one go, not individual parts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and see if I can find one and then just make a simple shroud for the barrel.

My parts are all loose and segmented to accommodate being printed full size so it would take a LOT of work taking all those parts and positioning and joining them together to ensure a watertight model, plus, it would be too expensive for your needs.
However, I saw a stl on myminifactory.com in 1/4 scale that would be far cheaper than trying to find the old Dragon kit.

Shrinking or enlarging some things sometimes does not produce favorable results. It may work on some figures, but chances are that shrinking down mechanical parts will mean a lot of work getting them to fit at that smaller scale. Also the detail gets smaller. Tamiya (and most other model companies) known for its high quality models actually enlarges some detail for a couple of reasons. One to ensure the part isn't flimsy, and another to ensure the detail stands out even when paint is applied. I've enlarged some things on Thingiverse for people, who thought that you can make something lifesize from a scale model. Most often those models look good small, but get very chunky and faceted at life size. It depends on how the stl or model was designed in the first place.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back