Browning M2HB, M2A1, M3 & AN/M2 machine gun 3D printed - Terminator RSB-80?

TazMan2000

Master Member
A few years back I scratch built a Browning M2HB in wood/plastic and metal. It was moderately accurate in terms of LxWxH, but I always wanted to do one better. These weapons, and different models have been in countless movies since World War 2 and is still in continuous service in the US. It was (and is still in some cases) used on tanks, half-tracks, jeeps, fighters, bombers, helicopters, several naval ships and also stand alone installations. It's also a very popular weapon used in Memorial day celebrations, both real and replicas. It's nickname is "Ma Deuce".

I managed to get some accurate blueprints and followed them as best as I could. The assembly will be modifiable from the standard field unit to different models used in fighters and helicopters. Since the weapon is so long, I had to segment the pieces in order to be able to print them out. There is also movable parts and internal detail. If I do this right, it will be almost indistinguishable from a real one to the untrained eye, even from a few feet away. Thinking about having it available on CGtrader.

M2HB-ANM2 Machine Gun 1.PNG
M2HB-ANM2 Machine Gun 2.PNG

The barrel supports for different models and series have different cooling hole configurations. Some holes are oval.
M2HB-ANM2 Machine Gun 3.PNG
M2HB-ANM2 Machine Gun 4.PNG

The barrel is hollow and will accommodate a 1/2 copper pipe. Below is the barrel in construction. The PLA sections glued to each other and the copper pipe make for a surprisingly strong and rigid barrel. The 1/2 in copper pipe may even be modifiable for airsoft.

IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1862.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Static replicas are also quite popular with military reenactors. Some are set up to fire propane for flash and bang.
I am not sure how much stress the gas puts on the action of the gun but would be a possibility with yours.

Static replicas are also quite popular with military reenactors. Some are set up to fire propane for flash and bang.
I am not sure how much stress the gas puts on the action of the gun but would be a possibility with yours.

Copper is a great conductor of heat, so I'm certain the PLA sheath would melt. But there are some materials out there that do have a better resistance.

TazMan2000

I never said it was a good idea.......LOL

Actually it is a good idea. Just not something that I can implement. I'm was even thinking about how to simulate recoil visually. The barrel is quite heavy though. It would take a strong solenoid or mechanism to reciprocate something so heavy.

TazMan2000

Actually it is a good idea. Just not something that I can implement. I'm was even thinking about how to simulate recoil visually. The barrel is quite heavy though. It would take a strong solenoid or mechanism to reciprocate something so heavy.

TazMan2000
You would have to do more than just simulate recoil, if memory serves, the barrel on the M2 alsos reciprocates a bit when fired, but that;'s only if you want to go for full accuracy. If that's the case, then you'll also want to make the charging handle functional and with a bit of resistance too. Then to top it all off, you'd want to make the feed tray openable (which would be easy enough to do) and make a way to drop shells out the bottom.

You would have to do more than just simulate recoil, if memory serves, the barrel on the M2 alsos reciprocates a bit when fired, but that;'s only if you want to go for full accuracy. If that's the case, then you'll also want to make the charging handle functional and with a bit of resistance too. Then to top it all off, you'd want to make the feed tray openable (which would be easy enough to do) and make a way to drop shells out the bottom.

Yes, the barrel recoils back an inch or two in the real weapon. The charging handle will be functional as well as the feed cover and also the cartridge extractor arm will be able to be rotated back. As for removing bullets from casings...that is beyond what I can do. If this is used in a film, the editors will have to hire a post production 3d guy to get those in and simulate gun powder smoke.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
As mentioned before, this is not designed to fool anybody under close scrutiny. The feed plate serves mostly as support to stiffen the frame.
1591062964108_IMG_1935.JPG

A slide will support the cocking handle and use the copper pipe to slide back and forth. A return spring will added.
IMG_1933.JPG

The back plate slides in and will centually have a catch to lock it in place. It will support the rear of the copper pipe.
IMG_1928.JPG

TazMan2000

I'm making a few versions of this weapon. The M3HB had a backplate significantly different from the M2.
Mistakenly, I designed and printed the main recoil buffer with a left hand thread. No biggie to correct it in the design program, but I'm not going to print out a new backplate for that oversight.

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

This weapon was used in Terminator as a prop multiple times. In particular, it was used by on of the T-800 infiltrators when they entered the resistance base and started shooting up the place. It wouldn't be too hard in making a barrel sleeve similar to the one used in the movie.

600px-Captur10.jpg

600px-Term1_417.jpg

TazMan2000

Last edited:
As soon as I saw that I was thinking about the Franco gun from Terminator - watching with interest!

Yes, the RSB-80. From the pictures, it does look like the M2. This weapon only had a few seconds on the screen, and from what I've seen it looks like they carried it upside down reversed the rear grips, and put the cocking plate and handle on the opposite side of the weapon. Some fan art include the barrel support, and a "plasma" canister stuck in the bottom of the weapon where the spent casing exit. It could be the AN-M2 version used on WW2 bombers.
Some shots have some sort of round cylindrical extension of the weapon mounted on the bottom. The low resolution and blurriness could mean that I'm just not seeing this properly.

term-gun-cap4.jpg

TazMan2000

I did a quick mock up of the RSB-80 in TinkerCad. Its a large object. Well past the build limits of the program as you see by the darkened part of the barrel.

RBS-80.JPG

I think it must be the AN-M2 aircraft version. The M2 barrel that I used as a length gauge is just way too long.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
This is the Barrel Support for the original M2s.

WW2 Initial M2 Barrel Support.JPG

I printed a flash hider.

IMG_1982.JPG

The M2HB barrel can be removed and switched out for the AN/M2 barrel and cooling jacket.

IMG_1983.JPG

Still designing elements of the feed mechanism and slide. The parts fit so well together that only a few "pins" (the white tubes) are enough to hold it securely together. It will be glued, but it shows that there is very little play in the parts fit.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back