Brisco County Jr Orb Refrence Screencaptures

nathanalaneller

I plan to make a full replica of this orb & wondered if you could help me with getting measurements of the sphere, rod & cap size?

Orb (01).jpgOrb (02).jpgOrb (03).jpgOrb (04).jpgOrb (05).jpgOrb (06).jpgOrb (07).jpgOrb (08).jpgOrb (09).jpgOrb (10).jpgOrb (11).jpgOrb (12).jpg

Hope this helps !!

brisco county jr. orb/rod prop?

Here are the dims:

1 3/8th" diameter

1 3/4 " tall

Rod length only- 8.5" long, plus the cap

It's 1 1/4' to the part where the cap starts to taper, the sides are straight up to that point then round off.

The piece is gold chrome plated and weathered down. The actual rods are acrylic light blue with no light effects, they must have been created by computer.

Those dimensions don't seem correct to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. First it says the full length of the blue tube is only 8.5 inches long?
Then it says it's a foot and a quarter inches from front to taper. To clarify can you fill in the measurements on the illustration below. --Ed
Orbb.jpg

For starters, I'm making a small model to work out how to make the big one.
I'm using a 4 1/2 to 5 inch Christmas ornament for the sphere part. I tried to mark off a grid using a compass but, every time I check my measurements, there off an 1/8"th of an inch.
Anyone know of any tools I can use or videos on YouTube that describe how I could mark a grid on the ball? I want to make sure my rod caps, AKA in the case of this model, 1/2" PVC pipe, to be equally spaced around the ball.

ORB (1).jpgORB (2).jpgORB (3).jpgORB (4).jpgORB (5).jpg

Great idea. Can you fill in the dimensions on my drawing above?
A=?, B=?, C=?, D=?
Thanks!
--Ed
PS: Psychedelicswag, if you never heard or saw the show...treat yourself and watch a few episodes.

can anyone guess the rod combination from this pic? unseeing the single center rod on the top as level 1
example: level 2 any first rod, level 3, 2 to the left of the first pulled rod, level 4, 2 to the right of the first puled rod

Orb (30).jpg
Orb (29).jpgOrb (28).jpg
Now I look at it again, I can't make out were the center rod is.

Update info on my Desktop Orb
9 horizontal levels, starting with 1 rod for the top & bottom level. 16 at the middle & section off in a 8 star vertical pattern.
98 rods all together

Dose that sound right to you?

ORB (6).jpgORB (7).jpgORB (8).jpg

Did you ever wind up making this? This is one of my Favorite shows of all time. I would love to see a replica of the orb!

Did you ever wind up making this? This is one of my Favorite shows of all time. I would love to see a replica of the orb!
Oh wow, I completely forgot about this, I've bin so busy with other projects & problems in life. Reminding me of this project has given me an Idea to make a quick project, or something to start with. I'm starting now, & thank you for the reminder. :)

Anything ever come of this? Someday I'd love to make the whole sphere, or even a small scale replica...

I did make my own rod though. I used the dimensions:
A:11.5
B:1
C:3/4
D:1.5

View attachment 1761750
I had trouble making the sphere. The lack of heat in my house made the paper mache crack. I tried to fix it with drywall putty & the same results.
I've bin extremely depress lately after getting an UNSAFE STRUCTURE notice plastered our door, so I haven't bin able to make any further progress on this project because of it.

IMG_20220928_163303.jpgIMG_20220928_170626.jpgIMG_20220928_183154.jpg

Anyway, what did you use for your prop? Plastic tube, acrylic, PVC pipe cap?

That cracking is unfortunate. :(

I purchased a 1 foot acrylic solid rod off ebay. For the cap, I purchased a brass rod off amazon then turned it on a lathe to round down the end. I epoxied them together, and voila. It ended up being a pretty straightforward project.

I'd love to make the whole orb, however finding spheres the right side is hard. (And convinving my wife that we have space for such trinkets). I've daydreamed of making a 1/4 orb and then use mirrors to make it appear complete.

That cracking is unfortunate. :(

I purchased a 1 foot acrylic solid rod off ebay. For the cap, I purchased a brass rod off amazon then turned it on a lathe to round down the end. I epoxied them together, and voila. It ended up being a pretty straightforward project.

I'd love to make the whole orb, however finding spheres the right side is hard. (And convinving my wife that we have space for such trinkets). I've daydreamed of making a 1/4 orb and then use mirrors to make it appear complete.

Get yourself a couple 20 Qt., or whatever size it is, "Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl", cut the bottom part off & weld them together in a sphere. After that, mark the lines, cut the holes. Well, three holes will be the only ones you'll need to cut, to pull out the rods. The rest will be welded caps.
Also, each rod will have a parcel sleeve & something to hold them when they are fully extracted.

Attachments

• hobart_equivalent_classic_20_qt_stainless_steel_mi_2825.jpg
    hobart_equivalent_classic_20_qt_stainless_steel_mi_2825.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 18

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back