Brin's helm

B

Brin Londo

Well,
I'm working on it, tell me what you guys think.
Thanks,
-Brin
48763082.jpg.gif

48765039.jpg.gif

48765041.jpg.gif

Brin I think this thing looks real cool. I love the horns and think you are on the right track to a quality custom hunter.

Jerry

Nice! Whats it made from? Fiberglass? And what are you using for the dreadlocks?

Nice! The paint job is wild, the cheek horns are sweet, and MoviesColin, the dreadlocks look to be polyfoam rope, which he sanded down the ends into points. Need a couple more dreds, though.

Some guys DO use the polyfoam rope, including Kithunter's current costume. It's inexpensive, and it comes in different diameters, though 1" is the most common for the Pred masks.

The rope comes in black, but some guys paint it with black or rubber plasti-dip spraypaints to give it a little different look. You can then create your own dred rings out of PVC pipe and a dremel tool with rotary saw to make designs with.

The reason many guys like the 2 part foam dreds made out of molds, is because it has a more natural "fluff" when you turn your head fast like in the movies....but it's a lot more $. The molded ones also taper down to the tip, where the foam rope you must sand down the ends to make the tip, or just cover them in tons of finger-armor rings like Kithunter did.

I mean like nylon rope? I used that for my first predator costume (which sucked) and in terms of movement they worked quite well. Just cut it in pieces, dip the ends in wax or even superglue to get the desired tip. Dreads on mine were just paper pieces rolled up (the camera quality was low so you couldn't tell) but I plan to custom-make some from cardboard or Sculpy clay.

I think it looks evil ......something about it just says big Mother @#%$ pit-fighter.

yep the polyfoam rope is the inexpensive way to go. the only problem i had was i didn't like the way the dred hung.
Everyone knows my solution.

Just a suggestion..
I think you should use larger diameter rope. Looks a tad thin in the dreads. But, then again you have only a few on.

Looking real good Brin...a word though. Just me but I think the top end dreads should be of the more 'thicker' diameter...

Stay safe.

Tim.

Tom,

Sounds like it. This is what happens when I'm zoned from 15 hours of work, 4 hours of sleep and typing real slowly...

Tim.

You guys are correct of course, and in stereo at that.
I was SUPPOSED to have some larger diameter foam rope coming in the mail, but I guess I'm giving up on that.
So if I can't get Steve's box "O" dreds, I'll be having to find some of the larger foam rope somewhere else.
Hopefully I'll post an update in a week.
Later M8's
-Brin

I attached a biking helmet, then built it up with expanding foam. I shaped it with a grinding attachment on a drill, and made the holes with my Dremel.
-Brin

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back