Bringing your baby to the movies is a GREAT idea!

niennumb1

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am SOOO kidding. I just need to rant a moment.

I thought one of my friends had more common sense than this, but I guess not.

When I go to a movie I want the best experience possible, this means no bringing my baby to the movies. As someone who has been an active moviegoer for years it is pretty well known that many people absolutely can't stand it when people bring their baby in to a movie. I've experienced too many times what happens during parts that get loud or pretty much any time. When that baby starts crying, people start staring and it can get ugly fast.

I vowed my whole life that, should I ever have children, that I would NEVER bring my child in until he/she was old enough to understand behaving properly in that venue. The other pre-requisites would be the ability to walk and talk with an inside voice, heh.

So I learn one of my friends went with a couple other friends of mine with their 3-year olds (fine), plus their new 2-month old baby to see The Lion King 3D. I know that's a G-rated kids movie and all, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I would even bring my 6-month old son right now to see that movie in theaters, as good as he is outside the home. Absolutely no freaking way. If you can't get a babysitter then you shouldn't be going to the movies period. Besides, a baby's ear drums are very sensitive at a early young age as well as are very prone to sickness if there's a lot of people in the theater with so many potential airborne illnesses floating around.

I just don't think it's right to do that to other people paying a lot of money coming out to enjoy a movie. It's really not fair to them.

Am I overreacting for thinking my friend was being a bit inconsiderate of others (and the baby's needs) by doing this? I'm so gad I wasn't invited out for that.

:behave :confused

In a world where billions other people share the planet...

In a time when babysitters cost more than movie tickets...

One man has his cinematic experience ruined...

...by one tiny baby...

Not just one. I've been to movies where multiple people have started complaining and even one guy once taking it to the next level yelling, "SHUT THE BABY UP!"

This goes the same for the people who think they are exceptions to the 'TURN OFF ALL CELL PHONES' during movie message. Apparently people don't know how to read.

Lest we not forget the other moviegoers who treat going into movies as if it were their own living rooms and socialize through the entire thing.

Yeah, I feel bad for parents with young kids...it does make you feel trapped sometimes. But the fact is it's a sacrifice and if you can't get a sitter then going to the theater is something you just ought to pass on. I never brought my babies to the theater (and still managed to see a movie every few months or so).

I couldn't agree more on a 'baby-ban' at the movies. How can the parents not think that maybe they are bothering people with their loud baby? Just because they paid for their movie ticket doesn't mean that they can do whatever they want in the theatre.

Lest we not forget the other moviegoers who treat going into movies as if it were their own living rooms and socialize through the entire thing.
Those are the worst. I only keep my temper down cause I don't want to ruin the experience further by causing a scene, but during half-time I usually request those people to keep it down.

I know one of these days, I am going to lose it and will end up hurling abusive language to these people, before I end up in a fight.

I hate going to the cinema these days....tickets are too pricey, annoying rustling wrappers, chatting people, anuses with mobile phones, cretins trying to smoke in secret, dumbwads kicking your chair,idiots going to the toilet every few minutes, Retarded kids asking ****wit questions like, "does chewbacca have the force?" (i kid you not....)...picture not racked properly, sound levels hardly ever checked (either too loud or too quiet....) Spitballs on the screen... turning up the lights as the credits start......

Aaaaghhhhh!!!!!!

I can't stand it!!!!!

Rich

I'm finding just the opposite. Because tickets are more expensive, I think theaters are mostly filled with people who are really into the movie. It's been a long time since I had a bad experience.

It's right up there with people who answer calls during a film. There's half a dozen notifications to silence it before the show starts, yet I've seen individuals who'll have a full conversation as if they're chilling in their own living room. Yes, it's tough on your social life to be the parent of a newborn, but you should know better.

I'm right there with you! I've had several movies ruined because of crying babies OR snot nose little kids talking and asking "Why did Spiderman fall daddy?" Half of Predators was ruined for everyone in the room when a baby started crying and people started yelling to take it outside.

I think the most uncomfortable I've ever been was seeing a family with two kids see Watchmen several seats down from me. Do some parents still read ratings?

I hate going to the cinema these days....tickets are too pricey, annoying rustling wrappers, chatting people, anuses with mobile phones, cretins trying to smoke in secret, dumbwads kicking your chair,idiots going to the toilet every few minutes, Retarded kids asking ****wit questions like, "does chewbacca have the force?" (i kid you not....)...picture not racked properly, sound levels hardly ever checked (either too loud or too quiet....) Spitballs on the screen... turning up the lights as the credits start......

Aaaaghhhhh!!!!!!

I can't stand it!!!!!

Rich

We own a few theaters, and all of these issues are things we try and police every day. We feel like we do a good job, but people are impossible to control. Also, it isn't cost effective to staff each auditorium for every show. In our busiest theater we do place "undercover ushers" in the auditoriums to make sure nobody is ruining the experience for the rest of the people in the show. That is only on busy nights and usually only for the most attended films.

Also, now that most theaters are transitioning to digital projection, the sound and racking issues should be non-existant.

My suggestion is if you love movies, but don't like the experience, find a better theater to go to. There are a lot of independent owners like myself, that take customer satisfaction very seriously, and have to compete with big chains like Regal and AMC. We also, do a lot of unique things like running cult classics at midnite.

Anyhow, this got a bit long. Sorry. Hope you find a good theater in your area that maintains and enforces good movie-going policies.

I agree. I have 2 kids and we waited until they were 2 years old before taking them to see a movie. And before then we made sure that they understood to be quiet.

For all parents with infants who feel compelled to go to a movie.....WAIT FOR IT ON NETFLIX!!!

I agree. I have 2 kids and we waited until they were 2 years old before taking them to see a movie. And before then we made sure that they understood to be quiet.

Hey, another good parent who actually controls his child in public and instructs his child how to behave in various situations! Wow! Man, the way some parents behave, you'd think the KID was in charge. Of course, you can't always help a crying baby, but you can definitely help a loud toddler, or older. I see so many parents who have zero control. Usually they just yell, which does nothing but add to the chaos that's irritating everyone else in the theater, eatery, store, etc.

/\ Seriously! I have seen way too many parents that either have lost the will to try to control their kids or just don't care.

The key to "controlling" your kids is giving them options.

For example:

Do you want to stay and watch the movie quietly or do you want to go home and go to bed?

I miss going to the movies, The town I live in doesn't have a theatre anymore and the closet one is 2 hours away. But honestly the last time I went to the movies it was not a fun experience. Some had a baby there and it would not stop crying. I have kids I know they cry and that is why I would never take one to the movies. There was also people chatting and acting just like it was their home. Now I enjoy putting on the home theatre experience of my own at home in the (work in progress) home theatre room. The kids love it. And when they are in bed me and the wife can go down and enjoy a movie in the dark on the large screen in complete queit. I do miss the overall movie theatre experience but I honestly don't think I could be bothered anymore wasting so much money hen I can enjoy it at home.

I've got a true story for you, which is probably even worse than what your friend did.

Back in 2001, my family and I went to see Hannibal. Now, this was an R-Rated movie. And since it was a followup to Silence of the Lambs, I would think common sense would dictate that if you're watching a film that takes place after Silence of the Lambs, where you know Hannibal Lector is a serial killer who is also a cannibal, you wouldn't bring a child to the movie. Hell, I knew about the whole brain eating scene long before I went into the movie. But, while I was waiting to see the movie along with my parents, my sister and her first husband (all of us being adults), I heard the sound of a baby crying. I turn around and discovered a woman who had not one, not two, but THREE children with her. One of them was a toddler, another was at least a couple of years older and the third was probably around 10 years old. I was thinking, Really? You're seriously going to give your kids nightmares by bringing them along to watch this movie?

Whenever I see parents protesting a movie because of sex and violence, saying that they don't want their children to see it, then they should actually try PARENTING and not allow their kids to watch it (and explain to their children why they shouldn't watch it at their age). It's that simple.

I thought there were special "Parent and Baby" screenings at most big theatres these days? If not there should be. That way families can enjoy not hearing the movie along with others.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back