Boxcar Bret

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
On the heels of my Bandai 1/72 TIE Fighter I jumped right into Bandai's Star destroyer kit.

What a cool little kit! I can't get over the detail on such a tiny model. Don't let the small size and limited number parts detract you. The fun in building this micro-model is in seeing it come to life as you put it together. To be honest I think I may be more satisfied with how this kit turned more so than the TIE fighter.

I was concerned about laying down too much paint and drowning out the detail so I started with a base of Tamiya Super Fine Primer. For the panels and weathering I skipped a clear coat and went straight for a pinwash of black and brown pastel powder I made by scraping cheap pastel chalks I bought at an art store with an x-acto. I mixed the powder with water and couple drops of dish soap to cut the surface tension so the water and powder would mix. Once the solution was the consistency of coffee I applied it like a normal pinkish. As my confidence grew I went for an all over wash with the same mixture and cleaned up the excess with a wet cotton swab. A coat of Tester's Dullcoat and I was finished.

My question now is the same as everyone else that has built this: Why can't Bandai make a larger one?!!

Here is a material list from this build:

PREP

Dawn Dish Soap
Tamiya Super Fine Primer

ASSEMBLY/PAINT

Insta-Cure+ Medium CA Glue

WEATHERING/FINISH

Artist Pastels
Water
Dish soap
Tester's Dullcoat

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Gorgeous! Mine just arrived in the mail today. I look forward to putting mine together. I hope it turns out as good as yours!

--Alex

DUDE!!! That looks frickin AWESOME....i can't believe you just did a pastel wash to make it look that great!!! What's next on your list?

Thanks! I'm thinking the M4A3E8 Sherman tank from "Fury" for the next build. Shake things up a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Gorgeous! Mine just arrived in the mail today. I look forward to putting mine together. I hope it turns out as good as yours!

--Alex

Thanks, man! Have fun with it and be sure to post pics.

great job!!!

Do they offer a smaller scale! I know theres lack of space in JAPAN housing but really!!! that thing will gets lost on a shelf and difficult to really appreciate.

Last edited:
That's excellent!

I also completed mine and have to agree with everything you said about this kit.

I also used the Tamiya fine surface primer.

But then I used a wash of airbrush acrylics in light aircraft gray and charcoal watered down to brush on and bring out the details. I really wanted a light wash rather than a heavy one because the filming models were simply lit in hard light.

I did not want to give myself a coronary trying to light something so small, so I decided to airbrush an engine glow into the 3 mains on the back and added lighting detail to the hangar bay underneath via white and cyan acrylics.

I absolutely cannot wait for their 26" kit that they hinted at in their promo video, but these little kits are probably the most detailed and accurate representation of a Star Destroyer in styrene offered at retail.

IMG_1671.jpgIMG_1676.jpgIMG_1672.jpgIMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1673.jpgIMG_1674.jpg

I wish I was able to get them for only $5.

Cost about double for us here stateside with shipping.

But still worth every cent I paid for them. Really enjoyed that build. Love the result.

The lighting on your engines is cool - I just don't have the experience, or the patience to pull that off.

My first kit to light is going to be the Bandai Falcon and I am nervous as all get out about that. Thankfully three's some great builds and advice to review on the board here before I begin cracking into that kit.

My first kit to light is going to be the Bandai Falcon and I am nervous as all get out about that. Thankfully three's some great builds and advice to review on the board here before I begin cracking into that kit.

Just go for it! That's how you get experience. If you screw up then you just gained experience to take with you the next time you do it.

I know nothing about LEDs or lighting but after watching this guy's Falcon build I'd be willing to try...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9Bxm6BI5ORvjCrNp9UlxsA-qIVy1FTpQ

Thanks for the breakdown of your build, I always wonder how to make a simple kit like this shine. Now I know!

Thanks, Fugaru. I appreciate that. I've always appreciated it when people share their experiences and techniques. I'm glad I can pay it forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back