Brendan Fraser - The Mummy 5 Canopic jars

While we're talking about "not real" there are only 4 conopic jars in Egyptian funerary rites (lungs, liver, stomach and intestines). The broken lion jar isn't one of the 4. So maybe is was a special one used to keep mummies "juicy" :lol:

I have a theory about the 5th jar. (if it's not just an accident or literary license) The HEART stays in the body in Egyptian Mythology, because it contains your "soul". They believe your heart needs to be in your body to pass into the afterlife. So, if you didn't want them to pass into the afterlife, but remain on earth, then you'd have a jar that represents their heart, which keeps them from passing on.

The scene featuring Benny grovelling to Imhotep shows the walls to be slightly thicker. I'd guess around 3-4 mm. Now this jar is CGI obviously but it could still be worth thinking about.

I chose 3mm in the end. Hopefully, I'll get a print this coming week.

I decided to order new filament. The test print will be next week. Surprisingly, the thin walls are estimated to take almost as long as the really thick walls. When I looked at the slicing, I saw that the thin walls are so thin that they are SOLID. The original thicker walls where actually a lot of lower density infill.

Jintosh any update?
So....I had got this new filament that I thought would be perfect, but I had never tried this type before. And, I had trouble getting it to print, and adjusted the settings, and.....it clogged up my print head big time. It's a special color and type, and I'd like to use it, but I'm thinking the clog might not have been random, and this just isn't a good filament choice. I haven't gotten around to trying to unclog my print head. I loaded and unloaded filament repeatedly to try that easy trick, which has worked for me in the past, but it didn't fix this. So, I'll have to take apart my printer at some point.

It's just discouraging when this happens.

So....I had got this new filament that I thought would be perfect, but I had never tried this type before. And, I had trouble getting it to print, and adjusted the settings, and.....it clogged up my print head big time. It's a special color and type, and I'd like to use it, but I'm thinking the clog might not have been random, and this just isn't a good filament choice. I haven't gotten around to trying to unclog my print head. I loaded and unloaded filament repeatedly to try that easy trick, which has worked for me in the past, but it didn't fix this. So, I'll have to take apart my printer at some point.

It's just discouraging when this happens.

Ahh **** , i hate it when that happens! I Will continue to follow this i Love your work man!

Thanks !
I plan to fix it tomorrow. (Sunday) If nothing else comes up. :D
I need to get back on track with this one.

5th jar I thought was actually for the brain... right? pulled out thru the nose... etc...

Nope, there were only ever 4 jars. The brain wasn't seen as important so it was just removed and thrown away. The 5th jar in the film was just a plot device, they had 4 people who had a jar each and then they needed one for Imhotep to hold up to Beni.

I have a theory about the 5th jar. (if it's not just an accident or literary license) The HEART stays in the body in Egyptian Mythology, because it contains your "soul". They believe your heart needs to be in your body to pass into the afterlife. So, if you didn't want them to pass into the afterlife, but remain on earth, then you'd have a jar that represents their heart, which keeps them from passing on.

That’s not quite true, the heart had to stay with the body for the 'weighing of the heart' ceremony to allow passage into the afterlife. There were a few different aspects of what might be called a ‘soul’ by modern philosophies but none was tied to the heart, here’s a nice graphic (borrowed from Liverpool university):
Liv_Souls.jpg

Now I’ve finished hijacking the thread with Egyptology; this is a fun project to watch! If you don’t have a good reference for the hieroglyphs let me know. I have been meaning to properly document them for a while (ironicaly I keep getting distracted with ‘real’ Egyptology), the ones on these jars are a variant of sections of hieroglyphs on Tutankhamun’s Canopic chest.

Nope, there were only ever 4 jars. The brain wasn't seen as important so it was just removed and thrown away. The 5th jar in the film was just a plot device, they had 4 people who had a jar each and then they needed one for Imhotep to hold up to Beni.

That’s not quite true, the heart had to stay with the body for the 'weighing of the heart' ceremony to allow passage into the afterlife. There were a few different aspects of what might be called a ‘soul’ by modern philosophies but none was tied to the heart, here’s a nice graphic (borrowed from Liverpool university):
View attachment 1039187

Now I’ve finished hijacking the thread with Egyptology; this is a fun project to watch! If you don’t have a good reference for the hieroglyphs let me know. I have been meaning to properly document them for a while (ironicaly I keep getting distracted with ‘real’ Egyptology), the ones on these jars are a variant of sections of hieroglyphs on Tutankhamun’s Canopic chest.

Yes, the soul reference was a bit off, but still, that the heart has to be in the body to pass into the afterlife, and that a jar which represented
the heart could be tied to staying on earth instead of passing into the afterlife. It's not literal Egyptian Mythology, I am just extending it to apply theoretically to a 5th jar. The 4 jars are the 4 brothers in Egyptian mythology, and therefore the Lion which appears to be a female, doesn't fit into the pattern of the 4 jars. But if I could ask a small favour ?

Since each of the 4 jars represents an organ, for the mythical 5th jar, I want to write my own myth, so, thus, a heart for the organ. But then which Egyptian God would you recommend for my new myth ? If not one of the 4 brothers, which would be a good female choice that is represented by a Lioness ? I see at least a couple Gods that were represented by a lion, but which is the best choice in your opinion ?

Last edited:
Thanks !
I plan to fix it tomorrow. (Sunday) If nothing else comes up. :D
I need to get back on track with this one.

Okay, I took apart the mechanism and found that the filament had broken off inside. I cleared it and it appears to be working now. I need to find a day off now where I have 20 hours to babysit it and try printing again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, the soul reference was a bit off, but still, that the heart has to be in the body to pass into the afterlife, and that a jar which represented
the heart could be tied to staying on earth instead of passing into the afterlife. It's not literal Egyptian Mythology, I am just extending it to apply theoretically to a 5th jar. The 4 jars are the 4 brothers in Egyptian mythology, and therefore the Lion which appears to be a female, doesn't fit into the pattern of the 4 jars. But if I could ask a small favour ?

Since each of the 4 jars represents an organ, for the mythical 5th jar, I want to write my own myth, so, thus, a heart for the organ. But then which Egyptian God would you recommend for my new myth ? If not one of the 4 brothers, which would be a good female choice that is represented by a Lioness ? I see at least a couple Gods that were represented by a lion, but which is the best choice in your opinion ?

Or, for that matter, is a male lion, with a really small mane ?

I’d say that Sekhmet is the best choice. Amongst many things she was seen as a protector of the king, and was also linked to healing – both of which fit the idea of an organ in a canopic jar.

View attachment 1013309

This is Peter74's Gorgeous creation. A whopping 826 grams in wonderfully painted resin.
I bought this from Him, and love it. But, I plan to create 3D models and print the other four jars. The 3D prints will be lighter, and my paint job won't be this beautiful, but I do want a whole set and he said he didn't have immediate plans to do the other four. (And printing them myself will be cheaper)

I already have designed the Jackal jar topper and will do the next 3 toppers, and I created my own version of the jar. I will 3D print 4 identical jars, and will post progress pics, as I'm doing the jar toppers one at a time.

******************************************************************************************
My first jar is the Falcon jar. Qebehsenuf had the head of a Falcon and protected the intestines.
******************************************************************************************
Hi, do you by chance sell these? I would really be interested in purchasing a whole set unpainted. Please let me kn.

Watching "The Mummy" With An Actual Egyptologist - YouTube

time stamp 6:40 Four jars. :) :) It's a bit of fun to see which elements the film got right and which were added to "spice" up the film.
As an Egyptological hijack....

Dr Darnell always offers accurate information, even if she's problematic in other areas.

The Mummy had Dr Stuart Tyson Smith as a consultant, so they actually contain a lot of good sound Egyptology - even down to speaking the ancient Egyptian language in the flashback scenes. There's a few academic discussions on it like this and this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back