Brendan Fraser - The Mummy 5 Canopic jars

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
20190424_211056.jpg

This is Peter74's Gorgeous creation. A whopping 826 grams in wonderfully painted resin.
I bought this from Him, and love it. But, I plan to create 3D models and print the other four jars. The 3D prints will be lighter, and my paint job won't be this beautiful, but I do want a whole set and he said he didn't have immediate plans to do the other four. (And printing them myself will be cheaper)

I already have designed the Jackal jar topper and will do the next 3 toppers, and I created my own version of the jar. I will 3D print 4 identical jars, and will post progress pics, as I'm doing the jar toppers one at a time.

******************************************************************************************
My first jar is the Falcon jar. Qebehsenuf had the head of a Falcon and protected the intestines.
******************************************************************************************

Last edited:
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG

The paint job is a work in progress, but this is my second jar. This one 3D designed and printed by me.
The strips and design at the bottom is supposed to be solid gold leaf. But I did a strip of gold leaf at the top and bottom and did the design in gold leaf and left the filler in between as the off-white color. This was a test to see if I like it. (or if you like it.) Compare to the bottom of Peter74's jar at the top post.

The Jackal headed God Duamatef protected the stomach.

Last edited:
That's really impressive! An I like the highlighted gold as opposed to the solid gold band.

Please tell me you're going to be doing at least a limited run when you finish working the kinks out?

That's really impressive! An I like the highlighted gold as opposed to the solid gold band.

Please tell me you're going to be doing at least a limited run when you finish working the kinks out?

There is some redesign that needs to take place. The collar around the head needs improved. I wanted the blue strips to taper...but they taper too much. And I'll be putting a gold strip around the neck, like in Peter74's, some pictures don't seem to show it and some do. I'm sure, now, that there was more than one design of some jars. In some pics, the Jackal has wavy ears like a real dog, but in the Promo pic and the screen shot I got, they're more stylized like what I did. I think my blue paint might be a bit too light, but I'm having trouble finding a better blue.
Since it's 3D printed, there's much sanding to do. And the filament wrapped around the post and broke during printing, leaving a ring around the bottom where I refed the filament and kept printing. (a good trick itself, but it left a mark) I bought an upgrade to my filament feeding, and now that won't happen again.

Indeed, future prints will go smoother. And, did you mean a run of all FIVE jars ?

Last edited:
that's awesome. this weekend they have been playing all the mummy movie's on t.v. :lol:

Yes, I watched them again. That's when I saw a shot of bent jackal ears and then other shots of straight jackal ears. Since I'm trying to go more for the Promo Pic I posted, the straight ears are better. Also, I printed with ivory (beige) filament for the jar. There is then a white paint over the surface. A remote control tea light inside the jar will illuminate them from within and give them a yellow cast like the Promo Pic when I'm done with all Five.

Last edited:
View attachment 1018801 View attachment 1018802

The paint job is a work in progress, but this is my second jar. This one 3D designed and printed by me.
The strips and design at the bottom is supposed to be solid gold leaf. But I did a strip of gold leaf at the top and bottom and did the design in gold leaf and left the filler in between as the off-white color. This was a test to see if I like it. (or if you like it.) Compare to the bottom of Peter74's jar at the top post.

The Jackal headed God Duamatef protected the stomach.

Wow, that looks so good. What printer are you using?

Wow, that looks so good. What printer are you using?

A flashforge creator pro. I printed at "high" resolution in FlashPrint. This is simple but powerful software that came with my flashforge. High resolution is 0.12mm layer height. Even though it takes longer, I'm going to print next time at "hyper" which is 0.08mm layer height. 33% finer print lines. I think the nice prints are because I bought an all metal Hot-end. It wasn't that hard to install, and with it installed, I don't even change the print temperature of my filament. I've printed a couple different filaments, and I just leave it on 200 degrees. The all metal hot-end just gives me nice prints. I did sand and paint...but didn't do any filling.

I think my blue paint might be a bit too light, but I'm having trouble finding a better blue.
I would agree that the blue is too light. There's certainly plenty of primary reference for a darker blue on ancient Egyptian artefacts. It's just a matter of getting a suitable paint.

And, did you mean a run of all FIVE jars ?
It would ultimately depend on price but that would be of interest. Maybe you could space it out over 12 months or something?

I would agree that the blue is too light. There's certainly plenty of primary reference for a darker blue on ancient Egyptian artefacts. It's just a matter of getting a suitable paint.

It would ultimately depend on price but that would be of interest. Maybe you could space it out over 12 months or something?

Yes, that would be a good idea, considering how long it takes to print. I think it's not an extreme interest for a lot of people, but there are some die hard fans that would want some. I think I would offer it printed and sanded as one option, and printed, sanded, and painted as a second option. My painting skills are still basic and some people can do better on their own. I'll go ahead and design and print all the jars first, and then offer an interest thread.

20190512_144007.jpg

Wow ! I rewatched the first movie when it was on recently. I made my jar after observing Peter74's jar. But, this screen cap clearly shows VERY THIN walls of the jars. This is a shocker. The walls of Peter's / My jar are like 3/4 of an inch thick. I will be doing some redesign of the jar, and of my Jackal sculpt to improve accuracy.

another problem is the glyph's... there prominent on all three other seen jar's and go below the wicker "holder's"? but there isn't any present on the broken jar. just nit picking... :whistle:

another problem is the glyph's... there prominent on all three other seen jar's and go below the wicker "holder's"? but there isn't any present on the broken jar. just nit picking... :whistle:

They are playing with reality. The other jars are NOT REALLY as thin as the broken jar. You see the engraving is as deep as the thickness of the jar....which means the engraving would actually be a HOLE in the wall of the jar. The jars with engraving must be thicker than the broken jar to have the engraving. I'm going to compromise and make my walls around 5mm thick. Thin, but more realistically thin.

wait... there not real?? ;) What kind of sorcery is this?!? :eek: I understand what your saying tho! (y) looking forward to your progress, my 7 year old son said "WHAT?" after I showed him what you were making... we watched the marathon last weekend to!! :D

While we're talking about "not real" there are only 4 conopic jars in Egyptian funerary rites (lungs, liver, stomach and intestines). The broken lion jar isn't one of the 4. So maybe is was a special one used to keep mummies "juicy" :lol:

this screen cap clearly shows VERY THIN walls of the jars. This is a shocker.

The scene featuring Benny grovelling to Imhotep shows the walls to be slightly thicker. I'd guess around 3-4 mm. Now this jar is CGI obviously but it could still be worth thinking about.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-05-17-19h04m42s649.jpg
    vlcsnap-2019-05-17-19h04m42s649.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 860

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back