Braveheart sword

JunkSabers1138

Sr Member
I've been wanting one of these for a while but all the swords on ebay are either too small, disproportioned, inaccurate details, leather looks awful, and so forth. I found one I wanted to buy but was concerned about how the leather looked and emailed him for info but he sent a discouraging "What you see in the auction is what you get". However, the pic in the auction isn't that impressive when you know it's a doctored up catalouge pic. Has anyone here bought one off ebay before and do you have any pics so that I may compare them to each other? Please include the sellers name so that it will be easier for me to find it on ebay.

Thank you all in advance.

I remember seeing some offered a few years back from a few different vendors, but I never took the time to research their accuracy. If you like I can try to find my old cataloguesÂ….

<div class='quotetop'>(Hero of Canton @ Jul 7 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]1276227[/snapback]</div>
I remember seeing some offered a few years back from a few different vendors, but I never took the time to research their accuracy. If you like I can try to find my old cataloguesÂ….
[/b]

Thank you. How old is that catalog? I bet some of the current sellers aren't in there as well as the old ones not being active today. Try going on ebay and try either "William Wallace sword" or Braveheart sword. I've spotted at least 15 different sellers with at least 10 different designs on ebay alone and that number is tiny compared to other online sellers. I'd like to save up some cash and by a 100% accurate one from Del Tin (the guy who built the sword in the film) himself but these are at least $375-$450 depending on your specifications and I do NOT have that much to throw away on a sword.

I have one that was made by Marto. It's not perfectlly acurate but I think it looks pretty good. I think I spent around $100, it was a while ago so it might have been less.

<div class='quotetop'>(sithmasterjedi @ Jul 7 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]1276246[/snapback]</div>
I have one that was made by Marto. It's not perfectlly acurate but I think it looks pretty good. I think I spent around $100, it was a while ago so it might have been less.
[/b]

That's a good buy right there. How big is it? Most ebay swords from the movie never exceed 52" (the Del Tin reaches 54"-56" and the Arms and Armor version is 63"). I'd buy Marto since thay made the official one and then cut the clover shaped things off the cross gaurd and make it more accurate. This link has some of the old retailers but the one that I know is still active and the one I truly want is the huge and accurate Del Tin version near the bottom of the screen:

Here
Braveheart swords

The sword in the top pic horrifies me due to that oarnge colored rather plastic looking "leather" I see on so many ebay swords rather than that fuzzy looking leather seen on the film.

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]1276240[/snapback]</div>
I'd like to save up some cash and by a 100% accurate one from Del Tin (the guy who built the sword in the film) himself but these are at least $375-$450 depending on your specifications and I do NOT have that much to throw away on a sword.
[/b]
Dude, the Del Tin swords are totally worth it. $400 for one of his swords is anything but throwing it away. Yeah, it's more because he is Italian, not Pakistani or Indian (who knows what kind of conditions THOSE guys work under, or how old the labor is). I have always admired and wanted one of his swords, I just haven't had the excuse to get one. Don't let the color of the leather throw you off if the rest of the weapon is spot-on. Leather can not only by dyed or replaced, but the color may vary form the sword in the photo.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hero of Canton @ Jul 7 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]1276379[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]1276240[/snapback]
I'd like to save up some cash and by a 100% accurate one from Del Tin (the guy who built the sword in the film) himself but these are at least $375-$450 depending on your specifications and I do NOT have that much to throw away on a sword.
[/b]
Dude, the Del Tin swords are totally worth it. $400 for one of his swords is anything but throwing it away. Yeah, it's more because he is Italian, not Pakistani or Indian (who knows what kind of conditions THOSE guys work under, or how old the labor is). I have always admired and wanted one of his swords, I just haven't had the excuse to get one. Don't let the color of the leather throw you off if the rest of the weapon is spot-on. Leather can not only by dyed or replaced, but the color may vary form the sword in the photo.
[/b][/quote]

When I get the money, I'll be torn between the 54"-56" Del Tin version or the Arms and Armor 63" version. I think the A&A version is more accurate in terms of size because I remember the sword being HUGE in the film, but the Del Tin 5154 with the expanding rounded hilt, straight squared-off cross gaurd, shorter ricasso grip(WAY TOO MANY SWORDS MAKE THIS GRIP TOOOOO LONG. I saw one sword at a huge marketplace in the country that took up half the blade's length...), correct leather color and texture, and overall length does look nice though. The A&A would be a good choice for others on a semi-tight budget, like me, but I'll be patient and get a Del Tin when I'm older. It's hard to earn money as a 15 year old these days :( .

P.S.-- How can you dye already died leather without ruining it?

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1276387[/snapback]</div>
[/b]
Ah, the $10,000 question. :unsure
Small pieces are a breeze, large fields need to be sprayed.
Many coats of a lighter dye are better than few of a dark.
Sealers can darken and smooth things out.
Aviod dying suede, that you will ruin.
I've seen incredible things dont with leather paint, but don't ask me how to use it.

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]1276253[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(sithmasterjedi @ Jul 7 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]1276246[/snapback]
[/b]

That's a good buy right there. How big is it? Most ebay swords from the movie never exceed 52" (the Del Tin reaches 54"-56" and the Arms and Armor version is 63"). I'd buy Marto since thay made the official one and then cut the clover shaped things off the cross gaurd and make it more accurate. This link has some of the old retailers but the one that I know is still active and the one I truly want is the huge and accurate Del Tin version near the bottom of the screen:

Here
Braveheart swords

The sword in the top pic horrifies me due to that oarnge colored rather plastic looking "leather" I see on so many ebay swords rather than that fuzzy looking leather seen on the film.
[/b][/quote]

Yea I just measured it. 52"

<div class='quotetop'>(sithmasterjedi @ Jul 7 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]1276436[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]1276253[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>(sithmasterjedi @ Jul 7 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]1276246[/snapback]
[/b]

Here
Braveheart swords

[/b][/quote]

Yea I just measured it. 52"
[/b][/quote]

I thought so :unsure . No wonder all the sword copycats make their swords either 52" or shorter.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hero of Canton @ Jul 7 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]1276433[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1276387[/snapback]
[/b]
Ah, the $10,000 question. :unsure
Small pieces are a breeze, large fields need to be sprayed.
Many coats of a lighter dye are better than few of a dark.
Sealers can darken and smooth things out.
Aviod dying suede, that you will ruin.
I've seen incredible things dont with leather paint, but don't ask me how to use it.
[/b][/quote]

Are the movie sword's grips made out of suede? It certainly looks like it. I could be wrong though.

I'd doubt it, but can't say for sure one way or another. I've only seen the Museum Replicas version.

It's a shame very few sources exist for replicas of the actual Wallace sword. It's on display in Striling, Scotland, (and yes, it's been refurbished more than once since Sir William was executed.) I got a look at it when on vacation over there, and its obvious the blade had seen a LOT of use.

There's a good article about it here:
http://swordforum.com/fall99/sword-of-william-wallace.html

<div class='quotetop'>(SmilingOtter @ Jul 7 2006, 11:14 PM) [snapback]1276455[/snapback]</div>
I'd doubt it, but can't say for sure one way or another. I've only seen the Museum Replicas version.

It's a shame very few sources exist for replicas of the actual Wallace sword. It's on display in Striling, Scotland, (and yes, it's been refurbished more than once since Sir William was executed.) I got a look at it when on vacation over there, and its obvious the blade had seen a LOT of use.

There's a good article about it here:
http://swordforum.com/fall99/sword-of-william-wallace.html
[/b]

I have heard that although the blade is original on that sword, the hilt has had quite a few makeovers in the past 700 years. And many doubt it is Wallace's sword since he no doubt used many in his lifetime (even the movie has him wielding several different swords and weapons). I want a replica of the "original" wallace sword but they are some of the most expensive swords I've ever seen. Also, how did you feel when you were able to see this legendary sword in person? I've always wanted to go to Scotland to visit this monument as well as uncover some history of my own ancestors. But anyway, I just can't help but get the feeling that people always feel this overpowering sense of awe when they see this sword like Boromir seeing Narsil in person in LOTR FOTR.

I was thoroughly impressed with it. I couldn't help but wonder how many lives were taken using that blade...

It's not really explained in the movie, but Stirling (the location of the first battle) and Bannockburn (the last battle) are practically in sight of each other. So it's very easy to visit the Wallace Monument, then head right over to the Bannockburn museum (where it's explained that Wallace and his men went into battle most likely dressed much like Robert the Bruce was - maille and plate - rather than kilts and woad.

Del Tin makes the most accurate replica. So much more screen-accurate than the rest that the rest aren't worth the price of recycling as scrap.

The leather on the sword is smooth side out, not suede side out.

I have an unused Wallace Claymore that I acquired after the filming of the movie was completed. The Del Tin version is by far the closest to the one that I have, which, given his connection to the film and to the work of Mr. Atherton, makes sense.

(Edited to protect source.)

<div class='quotetop'>(LZeitgeist @ Jul 9 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]1277200[/snapback]</div>
The Del Tin version is by far the closest to the one that I have.
[/b]
Any possibility of seeing a pic of the one you have?

<div class='quotetop'>(Montagar @ Jul 9 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]1277207[/snapback]</div>
of seeing a pic of the one you have?
[/b]

It's hanging 15' off the floor in my foyer, but I'll see what kind of pics and measurements I can get of it. I currently don't have an extension ladder available to take it down for exact measurements and such.

Be right back...

Wallace1.jpg

Wallace2.jpg

Wallace3.jpg

Wallace4.jpg

Wallace5.jpg

The overall length is a bit over 60" - hard to tell to the perfect measurement because the tape measure won't stand up straight enough long enough to get an exact length, but I'd say it's 61". The width of the crossguard is right at about 12".

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back