Brand new to sculpting, "Hail Cobra" sculpt (pic heavy)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Gary Pahls

So I've pepped, I've watched the YouTube videos on sculpting and now I jumping in feet first; any criticism is appreciated. I'm no where near done but this is how far I am now. I'm not sure what it is yet but its morphed into a Army of Two meets Walking Dead... kind of

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

MMCD

Re: Brand new to sculpting, my first attempt

WOW... This is awesome... For a first attempt it's jaw droppingly awesome! Can't wait to see it finished. Nicely done.

cokebabies

Re: Brand new to sculpting, my first attempt

That looks awesome, regardless of how many you've done before. But the fact that it's your first makes it that much cooler.

Gary Pahls

Re: Brand new to sculpting, Army of Two-ish/Zombie Sculpt

So in my update today I did some re-shaping of the "metal" portions of the helmet, re-shaped the cheek of the skull, added stress fractures and more damage; enjoy!

howlingwind13

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Love me some Army of two...I have a few masks, this one is looking really cool. Nice work.

GrimmOmen

Hey! This is looking terrific! Really great job! Since UO asked for a critique, I'm just going to put a bug I'm your ear for you think about. You've got a great sculpt going on there, and most of your lines are rather smooth- which you'd expect given your subject matter. But think if you'd like for the damage to the helmet to be more jagged. I think this will really create some contrast between the helmet and skull underneath. You can even design your helmet damage to accentuate where the damage came from. I did a quick sketch on one of your pic there to illustrate what I'm talking about. I'll try to get it added when I figure out how! Basically I just put a hole in the head where he took a round to the brain pan, and then designed the helmet fracture accentuate the damage. Anyway just a thought that I wanted to pass on! Again, great work!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/jpharrod/Misc/d2131cdf.jpg

-Grimm
(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD)

Gary Pahls

But think if you'd like for the damage to the helmet to be more jagged. I think this will really create some contrast between the helmet and skull underneath.
I completely agree and thanks for taking the time to sketch that! When I get back from my trip to Nashville I'm going to work on that. As soon as I plug in those final details I'll be molding and casting; stay tuned....

Last edited:

Gary Pahls

Quick question, does anyone know where I can get my hands on some Thi-Vex or an equivalent to for Rebound in southern california?? Smooth-on uses UPS which shipping costs the same amount as the product and I have a hard time justifying that purchase

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out

Last edited:

Gary Pahls

So with my vacation to Nashville over (for those of you who live there, that place is gorgeous!) I pick up again on my project

I decided in the interest of time, that instead of trying to make it perfect just to make it cool and finally cast something. So I finished a few more details and fixed some issues then I built my walls for the mold

I got my layers of silicone down, I trimmed the sides up (not shown) and used plaster as a jacket. Now before I get the troll storm of why I didn't use Plastie-paste or fiberglass, with a new baby on the the $7 for plaster and plaster bandages at Hobby Lobby win out lol

So tomorrow I cast and I paint....

Gary Pahls

Small update, I slung some plastic then had other things to do so hopefully soon I'll have this painted

Gary Pahls

Thanks for the support! Actually the mold was not seated fully so it was warped a tiny bit but the second cast came out great. I just re-enforced it with a few brushes of urethane and hopefully Sunday I'll be able to cut the eyes out and start painting!

Gary Pahls

So I finally had some free time and slap on some paint today. Since this is a gift to a friend of mine who is a member of Cobra 3rd Night Watch I decided to go with a Cobra theme. Now you can't tell from the photo but in the skull is streaked with an iridescent paint that shifts from purple to green to give an irradiated look; in natural sunlight it shimmers across the surface. Tomorrow I'll be busting out the acrylics and touching up spots and adding depth to the skull, cracks and recessed areas

Gary Pahls

Re: Brand new to sculpting, "Hail Cobra" sculpt

So today I painted in the final details. Its not perfect but for my first completed project from sculpting to painting I'm satisfied. I'll only get better at this from this point forward :)
Enjoy

Last edited: