Brand New BR Snake Pit Matches

Darkknight0667

Sr Member
Before I get to the pics, I need to send a couple of big Thank You's out. First, to Gabe (PropRunner) for his encouragement and advice in the designing of these. And second, and even more important, to Jon (spinner44com) for graciously agreeing to let me use the logo file he created for his t-shirts, because without him, this project would have never gotten past the prototype stage. You guys are the best, and I couldn't have done this without you.

Inspired by projects from both of these guys (Gabe's "Duck Club" matches and Jon's "Snake Pit Security" t-shirts), I decided to design a set of matches for the Snake Pit. Once I had a design I was happy with, I shot it off to Gabe to get his opinion. Only then was it pointed out that philippes had done a set of these a number of years ago. Luckily, the two designs are quite different.

Given the recent surge in BR projects (VK machines, ESPERs and really big Spinners just to name a few) and since Phil's are no longer readily available, I decided to move forward with getting these produced. Not wanting to step on anybody's toes, I contacted both Phil and Gary Willoughby (the owner of bladezone.com and the co- originator of the first set with Phil) for their opinions and approval to proceed. Both of them offered very kind words of encouragement and gladly gave their blessing.

Without further ado, here they are:
[attachmentid=7295] [attachmentid=7296]

I went with black ink over gold foil. I felt it just the kind of thing Taffey Lewis would go for to give his place an air of “class”.

Here are a couple close ups of the front and back:
[attachmentid=7297] [attachmentid=7298]

And, in case you want to find out whoÂ’s performing this week, just call TaffeyÂ’s Hot Line:
[attachmentid=7299]

(The phone number is actually BladeRunnerÂ’s original US release date 06/27/1982)

This really was a lot of fun to design. I hope you folks like them as much as I do. Let me know what you think.

Also, look for a For Sale thread in the Junkyard.

Damn, Pete. Those turned out NICE... :eek

Wait for it...

seal_1.gif

:D :thumbsup B)

While I can't take credit for inspiring a prop project, it was certainly an honor and a pleasure to be involved and to be asked for my input. :)

By the way, for those of you unfamiliar, here's my box of Phil's original (and no longer available) Snake Pit matches and my "Duck Club" gag match book:

1142851498_IMG_2196s.JPG

Snake_Pit_Phil.JPG

IMG_2167s.JPG

IMG_2170s.JPG

IMG_2171s.JPG

(I call my Duck Club matches the "Double Deckard" BADA-BING. :D)

Can't wait to add your new matches to my collection. :)

- Gabe

P. S. I suggested "Block G," but little did Pete suspect I was trying to inflitrate my first initial. :lol

Very nice work, Darkknight.

These will look great on display next to my Snake Pit matchbooks by Phil.

And Gabe, good job on slipping the "G" into the project. That's my initial, too. :D

Now I'm off to the Junkyard...

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 20 2006, 06:00 AM
P. S. I suggested "Block G," but little did Pete suspect I was trying to inflitrate my first initial. :lol
[snapback]1209335[/snapback]​

:lol

Never saw that coming. Very stealthy, Gabe. Very stealthy. :thumbsup

Thanks, Gary.

Originally posted by darthsnikelfritz@Mar 21 2006, 12:50 AM
cool, now my blade runner collection is growing. To bad i smoke :confused
[snapback]1209958[/snapback]​

That just means you'll have to buy two boxes. ;)

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like them.

When mine get here I'll be afraid to use them.

If I don't see "close cover before striking" warning, I always forget and set the whole matchbook on fire. :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back