Boushh Thermal Detonator Cast

TI6815

Hi RPF
another prop I work on was the TD from Boushh. My friend create a relly good 3D File of the TD for us and order a 3D Print. We thought we need some of this granades !

The print came out very good and the cast is awesome ! I cast some resin copys but the cold cast version

Edit to avoid long Discussions.

cold cast version
7606b272.jpg

after smooth grinding of the cold cast ..looks like metal
IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

have fun

Kai

Last edited:
That looks like you're going to be putting some electronics in that lovely little thermal detonator.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing the progression. I know a certain someone who's always wanted a cool TD.

Looks good but I have to ask, were these really created from a "created" 3d file? The shot in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picture from the top look almost exactly like the MR thermal detonator, even the battery slot. The "twist" feature to open the TD, all of it is there, easily seen in the 4th pic. Not that I am complaining but I figure it'd be best to figure out what the origins are rather than claim someone "created" the files by themselves.

Maybe someone can give a better idea. But it looks extremely close, like with the battery slots and the copyright/legal mumbo jumbo right next to it. My MR TD is currently in storage so I can't complain, but after owning 4 of them and switching out batteries often times, I've gotten quite used to opening them up. I don't want to start a "recasting" flame thread but thought it'd best be known.

It looks like a 3D printed shell over a recast MR interior.
The last photo still has the raised MR copyright lettering.

The shell was probably "digitally recast" from the MR to some degree.

As lonepigeon says, the shell looks 3D printed, but the interior looks MR. But I have a doubt, are you complaining about recasting the INTERNALS of a dead company? Because I've seen a lot of recasts from products made by this same company, even prototypes, and no one ever complained.

Thanks
The shells and the middle where made with solid Works.
But you are right... the middle Part looks very close.
We thought this is a nice Idea a just took the measurements.
To cast something with Silikon rubber is quite cheaper :)

As I said. We took all the measurements :)
But i don't Want to Start Discussions like this.
Sorry ! I came back with a better middle section
one day :)

Last edited:
As lonepigeon says, the shell looks 3D printed, but the interior looks MR. But I have a doubt, are you complaining about recasting the INTERNALS of a dead company? Because I've seen a lot of recasts from products made by this same company, even prototypes, and no one ever complained.

I never said I had a problem with it, just wanted some "truth" to it as yes, I've seen other MR recast items on here, but never something as blatant as even copying the MR copyright info. Even you would have to admit, that's stretching it a bit, and while anyone can go ahead and recast MR products (not saying its right or wrong), I'd never claim that I created it. Just always better to put some clarity in there.

I never said I had a problem with it, just wanted some "truth" to it as yes, I've seen other MR recast items on here, but never something as blatant as even copying the MR copyright info. Even you would have to admit, that's stretching it a bit, and while anyone can go ahead and recast MR products (not saying its right or wrong), I'd never claim that I created it. Just always better to put some clarity in there.

I agree with you :darnkids

:lol

So what is "cold cast"? It isn't a product I'm familiar with. Is it like a metallic resin? Or does it refer to a technique in general? I've thought about making one using a hollow aluminium or stainless sphere but I have had trouble finding the balls for it (literally!) never thought about casting as I've never done it before. I like the thought of an item made from correct materials so to speak. A TD kinda looks like a boule ball (French lawn bowls). Google one and see what you think.

Last edited:
Cold Cast is a technique where you mix CLEAR polyester resin with aluminium powder (the correct mix would be around 1 part of resin per 1.25 parts of powder in weight). Once casted and the resin is dry, you can sand or polish the resin and it'll look like aluminium. That's how the Jango Fett armour was made.

Thanks
The shells and the middle where made with solid Works.
But you are right... the middle Part looks very close.
We thought this is a nice Idea a just took the measurements.
To cast something with Silikon rubber is quite cheaper :)

That was not from Solid Works. It was a recast, which is why you removed the picture. It showed no signs of the 3D printing texture and it still included the raised MR copyright text. You should at least admit to it instead of lying.
I'm not sure if people would care if it was half-recast or not, but I'm sure they'd respect the truth.

So what is "cold cast"? It isn't a product I'm familiar with. Is it like a metallic resin? Or does it refer to a technique in general?

You can use white resin too. I use Smooth-Cast (from Smooth On). If you add a tiny amount of blue dye in the mix it that will give it en extra illusion of metal but polishing cold-cast aluminum resin will yield a very nice shine. But as aluminum is prone to dull, make sure you coat it with something.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back