Bossk's 25 foot long, Star Wars Dewback Prop and Walking, 2 - Man Costume

Bossk

Dewbackcostume.jpgDB full frame.jpgdewback head carving.jpgdewback.jpgdeweyvsjarjar.jpgDewback hide.jpg
I just noticed that I apparently never posted anything about my full sized Dewback patrol lizard. I started this in 2010, but it wasn't until a few months before Star Wars Celebration in 2012 that the Midsouth Garrison of the 501st legion game me a hand to help finish it off, with several Prop Parties where thousands of individual hexagonal scales were cut out of old army foam sleeping pads and hot-glued to a foam base over a pvc pipe skeleton. While this is generally considered a prop, it is actually a true, two person costume, and it looks extremely lifelike when walking along. The legs move all the way to the should like a real animal, and the tail sways from side to side. The front operator can also raise and lower the head, move it from side to side, and open and close the mouth. The claws are vacuformed from resin casts of original T-Rex claws. The eyes are glass elephant taxidermy eyes. The full size Sandtrooper is a foam dummy since the weight of the entire prop must rest on the shoulders of its two operators. The Dewback won "Best of Show" at the Star Wars Celebration VI Costume contest, walking across the stage and forcing the judges to duck as the huge tail swept over their heads as the creature turned around. Since then has been displayed at many conventions and other events. It has helped raise thousands of dollars for various 501st Legion charities. From what I learned building this I have applied to make even larger and more sophisticated giant animal costumes/props like the walking 30 foot dragon. I am also developing an alternate head for the Dewback to turn it into a triceratops for Jurassic Park displays with my JP Jeep when we are not asked to display the Dewback.

Holy (explicative deleted)! That is so incredibly awesome.What an incredible prop to have sitting around. This is a whole new level of awesome!!!

FANTASTIC! Thanks for posting this. Very Cool!:thumbsup
Just noticed the one pic he's eating Jarjar Binks, that makes it even cooler!

Last edited:
Would be awesome to see video!

So, it's really a 3 person prop/costume? 2 inside, plus the Sandy on top riding?

Would be awesome to see video!

So, it's really a 3 person prop/costume? 2 inside, plus the Sandy on top riding?

"...The full size Sandtrooper is a foam dummy since the weight of the entire prop must rest on the shoulders of its two operators...."

Markus ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back