Borderlands 2 Badass Marauder Helmet

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Aces, Jun 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Aces

Aces New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums, so I thought I'd share my current project, and ask for some opinions about approaching a problem from those with more experience than myself, which is why this isn't in the "introduce yourself" thread. I've been working on the helmet on and off for almost two years, and only recently decided that it was finally time to finish it. Thankfully, all that was left at that point was painting, and some electronics work (more on that in a bit). Here's some pictures of the helmet as it currently stands:

20150622_000558.jpg 20150622_000840.jpg 20150622_000728.jpg 20150622_000656.jpg

I just finished what I think will be the last coat on the actual helmet part of the helmet. The eyes and teeth were painted a couple of weeks ago, and now it's just the sides and back left to be painted. Let me know if you want to see any of the progress pictures up to this point.

Now to my question. I'm looking to have the eyes glow orange, but still be able to wear and see out of the helmet. My current plan is to get some orange translucent plastic (maybe off of a bike reflector), run orange LEDs around them to shine in to the centre of the eyes, and then put some sunglass lenses one layer in to partly shield my eyes, and reflect the orange light back out. I'm wondering if there is a better, more functional way of having this effect. I won't know how well it will work until i try it, so here I am.

Does anyone have any experience attempting this? Surely one of the NCR ranger helmets had a similar solution.

There's plenty of room inside the helmet to fit electronics:
    20150622_001038.jpg

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Aces

Aces New Member

Re: [WIP] Borderlands 2 Badass Marauder Helmet

Bump. Anyone have any experience with a glowing eye effect?

3. RaptorX666

RaptorX666 New Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  4. Aces

Aces New Member

So I'm back from my long trip abroad, and I've finally found the time to work on my current projects! First things first, the marauder helmet was started long before the laser musket, so this deserved to be finished first. So without further ado, Here are the photos:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg

And of course, The helmet wouldn't be a helmet if you couldn't wear it (exposure was too short to have the ambient glow of the eyes show through, but trust me, they're there)
    10.jpg

I don't plan on wearing this to any conventions, but if I do change my mind, I'll likely fill it with some foam, and finish my Dahl pistol to go along with it.
    All in all this is about 350 cut pieces of matting board, half a tub of light-weight spackling paste, a hell of a lot of hot glue. It's the first accurate prop I've made completely from scratch, and though it's not made from the best material or with the best techniques, I'm pretty * proud of it.

5. MungBean

MungBean Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is just so cool!