Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DylanRose

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
While life and work rarely allow the time and effort involved with prop-making and personal projects, the RPF Secret Santa is one time of year I make sure to carve out sufficient time for a gift.

This year my contribution was a replica from Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom: Susie Bishop's copy of "The Girl from Jupiter" by Isaac Clarke

01.jpg

The book is completely fictional so all I had to go off was screenshots and information in the film as well as a behind-the-scenes featurette with some animated excerpts from several of the books which didn't make it into the final film. The cover art is a painting by artist Sandro Kopp. I never found any images of the artwork by itself so the screenshot above was the best reference. I grabbed the largest screenshot i could find and spent a lot of time in photoshop extending the artwork, cleaning up artifacts and improving the detail/resolution.

02.png

Here's a close-up of some of the detail improvements - not perfect but good enough for a convincing recreation the cover at the size/resolution needed.

05.png

The back of the dust jacket has a map which someone had previously identified as a map of Arrakis from Dune which is a pretty cool detail! It appeared on the back of the dust jacket for the original hardcover edition - I wonder if that may have been the base for the real prop. I was able to find a hi-res scan of the map and from there I could start building out the print files for the replica jacket:

03.png

For the interior of the jacket I made up some details based on what I could find for the name "Isaac Clarke", which appears to be the main protagonist from the Dead Space video game franchise - whose name was actually inspired by authors Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke so I'm not sure if the propmaker was referencing the same authors by coincidence or the video game character, but I thought it was a great detail either way. The image is of actor Gunner Wright, who voiced Isaac Clarke in the video games.

For the book itself I sacrificed a copy of "The last gunfight" by Jeff Guinn as it seemed to be a close match in size and color to the prop - which I immediately gutted (sorry Jeff) as my plan for this is to create a book box since I'm not about to write a novel.

06.png

Once the interior was hollowed out I clamped the book together and glued the interior and exterior pages together to form the box.

07.png

Once the glue was dry I glued in a page at the end with an excerpt from the book pulled from the deleted scene mentioned earlier.

08.png

I wrapped the spine in some burgundy fabric tape which covered the title of the original book and was also a better match on color to the screen-used prop. This stuff is really satisfying to work with.

09.png

With the structure of the book done I moved onto printing the cover. After a bit of trial and error I got a good fit.

10.png

11.png

The last step was adding some finishing details and some weathering. In the film the books are library books that Susie has kept so I included a library checkout card and some stickers to give it a bit more authenticity.

12.png

13.png

After some final assembly and weathering, it was done!

finish-1.png

finish-2.png

finish-3.png

finish-4.png

finish-5.png

finish-6.png

finish-7.png

I had a lot of fun with this one - thanks for checking it out!

Attachments

• 03.png
    03.png
    589.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DylanRose

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So trying to fill in the dates on the check out card - Do you know the fonts you used on those?
2 fonts, the first two dates are a font called Loma. The third date is Typewriter-regular.

I also ended up using the eraser tool to rough them up a little bit and make the numbers a little more inconsistent like they would have been if they were actually stamped.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.