Bone-Hunter Costume Build

Thanks man. Haven't done much. I actually have a fear of airbrushing this thing. Still can't get my air brush right to spurt out paint and not water. Painting spots and stripes.
Its a whole lot different painting in real life on paper or Latex then in Photoshop.

So I think I may take one day and practice my painting on some masks I got and maybe do some simple water color spraying just to beef up my airbrushing skills.

Painting is the most important of anything. You can make a bad sculpt look better with a good paint job.

dude practice your paint on that half mask i sent you. it would be for it!

Will do! But first let me practice my spots and trigger control on some crappy newsprint.
For the most part is references of reptilian skin and patterns. I think that's the key to creating a believable skin.

Will do! But first let me practice my spots and trigger control on some crappy newsprint.
For the most part is references of reptilian skin and patterns. I think that's the key to creating a believable skin.

well as deformed as that half mask was, its probably pretty much equivalent to newsprint :lol:

iam loveing this thread mike i cant wait to see the skin painted up with your artistic flair ps would love yo see you sculpt a mask that would be somethink awesome :lol:

Gonna be a really trick suit.Trigger speed and control will come with time. Youll get it. What helped me on skin tones, patterns, spots and such was looking at any and all types of animals...from Giraffes to Geckos and anything in between. For spots/spot patterns google images/pics of cobblestone/pebble walkways and paths. Really helped me.

Gonna be a really trick suit.Trigger speed and control will come with time. Youll get it. What helped me on skin tones, patterns, spots and such was looking at any and all types of animals...from Giraffes to Geckos and anything in between. For spots/spot patterns google images/pics of cobblestone/pebble walkways and paths. Really helped me.

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna do some more research and print those out. I've seen some Jurassic Park dino picts in the Stan Winston book and they got some good dino skin patterns.
I want to make the suit look something like that.

Im sure with your drawing ability it will pass over well to airbrushing.

Yeah I hope so. Airbrush is the only thing I haven't practice since High School. Its not like photoshop where there's "Undo" and painting in layers.

I've read in the FX book "Designing Movie Creatures and Characters" that Steve Wang uses Painter and Photoshop but paint all his test exactly like he would in real life with no undos and layer options. He actually paints in Photoshop using 1 layer to create all the translucent effects of skin. :lol:

Dont worry Uratz,

as i read the whole thread and seeing all of ur great Artwork and what u can build, i dont think that u get problems by painting it. :lol:

Dont worry Uratz,

as i read the whole thread and seeing all of ur great Artwork and what u can build, i dont think that u get problems by painting it. :lol:

Thanks dude I guess I gotta just jump into it! I already re-cleaned my airbrushes and getting ready for a paint storm!

just a quick one for you mike. I like the concept of the bone hunter and looking forward to seeing it finsihed.. there is one area that i would be cautios of..maybe just me but the click buttons... if there is to much weight on them they will continuesly pop open or with wear and tear they may not work as well.. just from my own experiences using them(heavey duty ones at that to).

I can see the sense in what your doing. keeping it a 2 piece put making sure it stays where it is suppose to. and for ease of taking it on and off...

again just some friendly advice.. I'd hate to see anyone put so much time and effort in and then have something small become a pain in the arse...

just a quick one for you mike. I like the concept of the bone hunter and looking forward to seeing it finsihed.. there is one area that i would be cautios of..maybe just me but the click buttons... if there is to much weight on them they will continuesly pop open or with wear and tear they may not work as well.. just from my own experiences using them(heavey duty ones at that to).

I can see the sense in what your doing. keeping it a 2 piece put making sure it stays where it is suppose to. and for ease of taking it on and off...

again just some friendly advice.. I'd hate to see anyone put so much time and effort in and then have something small become a pain in the arse...

Thanks for the tip and I have noticed the weight issue as well. I am currently thinking of ways to "keep my pants up" so to speak.
I may use suspenders so I don't have an embarrassing costume malfunction and lose face for the Lair :lol:

I will also design a belt/loin cloth combo that will cover the waist area and hide all those little snaps and wrap all the loose skin love handles...

Hi There everybody. Seem like ages that I've worked on anything.
Been busy with my Dragon Bio but I will be practicing airbrushing soon as I stop procrastinating and stop watching TV!

I've just been focusing only on Sculpting as to not spread my creative energies too thin over many things and do a mediocre job.
Will be back soon!

Thanks for all your comments and support

where did you get this skin from????
it looks great!

BH Suit Wip:

Added the Zipper to the back, it was tough and I had to pay a seamstress to use a fully metal electric heavy duty sewing machine to do it. I went walking for like an hour in my neighborhood eventually went to a local Fresh market and there was a stall outside that does clothing and shoe repairs. The rest I did using hammer on button snaps. The snaps were a bit thin for fabrics and not really for thick latex. It took me a full afternoon to hammer all that and wasted a couple of the snaps cuz I didn't have another hand to hold it in place while hammering it.

Finally done and the suit hangs by itself and its ready for paint. I sweated like crazy just with the top and pants on - don't know how you guys survive an afternoon in SDCC with these things on

UratzSuitWIP.jpg

Forgot to add this.

Carl's Bone Necklace is a joy to Paint! I love it. I got some extra Predator Fang that I added in as well also extra parts that were cut from Carl's casting I drilled holes and added for length.
Nothing was wasted. Pics:

BoneNeck.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back