Bomber Drone Model from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Corellianexports

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Enemy Bomber2.jpg

Enemy Bomber3.jpg

Enemy Bomber4.jpg

Enemy Bomber5.jpg

I'm thinking that stock footage was used from another 20th Century Fox film, but I have no idea which one. I always thought the design was interesting: a combination of a flying wing with a standard jet tail. It looks like there are two intakes near the nose. The "Drone Bomber" is from the pilot episode, Eleven Days to Zero.

Can any one identify this model?

Neat ellipsoidal wing design, but ..... that's not much reference to go on. Do you have more?

I'd love to see how this comes out.

I did a search on the internet, but I'm not finding any other photos, blueprints, art work or similar model kits. Maybe I'll build the blasted thing out of balsa wood.

Considering the general shape, I'm starting to wonder if this was originally a prototype for the Flying Sub. I just found out that the Flying Sub was developed for the first season, but never used due to budget concerns.

So the research continues...

I knew I had seen this in the new Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen book from Creature Features, worth checking out if you have an interest in modeling Irwin Allen as there are some nice blueprints and model shots included. The Caption notes that this is the airship miniature as it appears today.

Attachments

• IMG_3766.JPG
    IMG_3766.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 399
  • IMG_3768.JPG
    IMG_3768.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 335
Amazing! Now it's much clearer what the "yellow" rectangular piece is. It's actually a clear plastic window, probably where the camera and possible cockpit is located. Thanks!

Interesting project and the "drone" looks a lot like the Manta Ray type of design that was so dominant in the series.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back