Bogus 2001 set photos?

macropod80

I've seen this still turn up several times on Evilbay and always been severely skeptical. Now I've just seen it appear in a UK magazine, which prompted me to try Googling just exactly what it is.

DeuDy6vXkAYzCg0.jpg

This turned up two more images clearly from the same source, but no answers:

DeuERN7W0AEt_wa.jpg

DeuEXAXX0AAqJAX.jpg

Obviously this scene never appeared in the film so it's usually described as a behind- the -scenes shot from an unused sequence.
What originally struck me were the conspicuous BIC disposable razors stuck around the opening to space (about a decade before they were invented?). Then once you start looking at it, more doubts occur: we did of course see the view from inside the docking bay earlier as the Orion approached, but it looked nothing like this. OK, the station had a docking slot at both ends, so conceivably this might be the other one.. but pre-production artwork shows the Aries and Orion docked in the same hole. And this one has an awful lot of stuff stuck all over the very flat, simple walls. (Aircraft drop-tanks; a strip of electrical terminal blocks!?; a toothpaste tube cap; is that a 2x1 LEGO brick?) Some of it isn't even stuck on very well. It looks quick and cheap - not heavily industrial-designed and painstakingly crafted. I'm sure the guy who made it (who is that guy?) will say indignantly it took ages and he's quite pleased with the result.
And then there's the Aries itself: did they build a second, tiny one with different front windows and panels?
So why can't I see any site on the Net that doesn't represent it as original, and where exactly does it come from?
Or have I just been sitting inside alone too long?

Wasn't there some 2001 commercial a few years back? (I forget the product)
Possibly unused from 2010?

I know someone from college that worked on a 2001 hallway set for some project back in the late 90's

Those photos have been floating around for years. The first time I saw them, they were described as having been built for a fan film. Never seen the film though.

David.

I always presumed the craft coming up from Earth docked in the "white" bay, and the ones transiting to the moon docked in the "red" bay at the other end of the hub.

That said, in all my years of being a fan of 2001 and -- in its own way -- 2010, I have never run across these photos. They have to date to within the last fifteen years for me to have not seen anythign of this during my most intense delving back in the late '90s to early '00s.

Sorry for the late reply...I think that these shots were made for a commercial and are not behind-the-scene pics of the original 2001 Space Station bay :rolleyes: As for the "white bay" versus "red bay"; it was simply to show any transport that only one bay was open, since the back of the Station is still under construction.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back