Boba Fett helmet build, ongoing project.

rosskow

Sr Member
------------------------------------------------

stumbled across the 'art' of pepakura about a week ago so thought i'd give it my attempt.

after looking a several designs i thought boba fett helmet would be easier than most, i guess i'll find out how wrong i was as i progress

day 1

finally got my printouts from my girlfriend's mum work place cause my printer couldn't print on anything thinker than 80gsm paper, so i got some groovy lime coloured paper.

didnt get much done...
PICT0212.jpg

day 2

started to take some shape
PICT0213.jpg

PICT0215.jpg

day 3

almost there in regards to the cutting and sticking part of the build
the helmet has got wonky though with one side stick outward at the ear bit (my right ear side) hopefully it'll work itself out as the last bits are added
time for some sleep though now

PICT0216.jpg

PICT0217.jpg

any comments and criticism welcome :)

Last edited:
Re: pepafett (boba fett pepakura attempt)

Looking pretty good so far! As you've seen, there is a little bit of a learning curve to doing papercraft, but don't sweat your wonky bits too much - some creative bracing of the piece before you start putting the resin to it can correct the shape a lot, and generally anything short of a catastrophe can be sanded/carved/ground out and filled. Auto body filler, epoxy putty, or even more paper and resin can go a long way to reshaping anything that's just not right.

Keep at it...it can be frustrating, but the end result (and low cost!) is worth it. :)

Good pep work for your first build, I'm glad others are putting my files to good use. If you are concerned about keeping the shape of the helmet, just build the inner supports around the bottom and you will be fine.

i forgot to put in my opening:
thank you to Fierfek for the wonderfully created pep file;
thank you to Hebinator for converting it to PDF so i could get it printed;
(last but by no means least) thank you to terra1 for basically giving me a complete 'how to' guide, step by step so i knew what i was doing and exactly what materials.

should have the pep build 100% by end of the day and if im feeling up to it, try my hand at resinning it

thanks for the kind and helpful comments so far :)

nice to see your thread up and running rosskow, its looking good.

glad to have lent a hand, i'm sure i speak for Fierfek and Hebinator by saying its always good to pass on lessons learnt, we all probably learnt from others too.

in a month or two you will be writing a similar post saying your welcome to another creation hungry bucket builder :eek:)

hope to see more soon! PS: is that mint coloured paper? you peppermint prince you! :eek:)

This is the second current build of this helmet and that, in itself, shows just how amazing Fierfek's work is! The man is a machine! It looks great so far, rosskow! And the lime green is......very.......lime :lol
Looking forward to seeing you and the HEB side by side! One as Boba and one as Jango!
Keep up the great work.:)

first off i wanna be boba Atlanthia, i calling it now :)
and thanks for the encouraging words Atlanthia

day 4

got up early (7am, not by choice though) and finished off the cutting and glueing
PICT0210.jpg

PICT0211.jpg

now i am ready to resin it (hopefully it will turn out okay, its my first time :angel)

PICT0212-1.jpg

PICT0213-1.jpg

other than dropping it on the floor half way through, and coincidentally landing on the dent on the helmet and getting dirt stuck to it, it went okay
i dont think i used enough resin though so i think i will have to do another layer, is that okay to do or will it not quite work. i only used 40ml of resin, i ended up spreading it out pretty thin you see, so i dont know if it'll be sturdy enough to go on to resinning the inside.

any advice?

Are you going to be rotocasting like me or will you be going the fiberglass/resin route? If you choose to go fiberglass, it probably wouldn't hurt to coat it with 2-3 layers of resin to build up the strength a little bit.

Are you going to be rotocasting like me or will you be going the fiberglass/resin route? If you choose to go fiberglass, it probably wouldn't hurt to coat it with 2-3 layers of resin to build up the strength a little bit.

i'll be fibreglass-ing it, since i dont know where i can get my hands on rotocast living in the UK.

going give it another coat of resin later tonight

rotocast would be like putting a fire out with champagne, smooth-on products are to costly over here in the UK to even spill a drop :eek:)

the fibreglassing should be fine i think, its messy and stinks but gets the job done.

day 5

went the gym :) then got to my first fiber glassing attempt.

this is where the magic happens
PICT0210-1.jpg

(a bit wobbly)
PICT0211-1.jpg

the end result
PICT0212-2.jpg

for my first go i am pretty happy with it and suprised surprised just how hard it sets and the heat created (could of fried an egg on it), there are some areas that will need some re-doing, some curves/edges.

the bit the range finder pivots on will have to be chopped off and be made out of bondo, it wont work the way i've done it, can't resin or fiber glass it internally.

think thats all for now.

happy building everyone :)

thank you BGHUNTER i may be able to convert you to love it
as you've seen i commented on you own boba fett paint job, if i can do it half as good as you i'd be happy, still a while till that though.

day 6

decided the hack the ear/range finder base off, felt kinda soothing, just hope i dont regret later

PICT0213-2.jpg

now on to bondo-ing. didnt really know what i was doing

PICT0211-2.jpg

PICT0213-3.jpg

PICT0214.jpg

know sure if i should of done it in sections (e.g. dome, left side then right side ect) or just a thinner coating. if you see any rookie mistakes that i've done, feel free to say so, save me from finding out when i try to sand it down.

looks like a cake i made at the weekend! lol...

try and put your bondo on as smooth as possible (says me that ends up with something resembling a merangue when applying)...it just saves on sanding big time. I don't know what filler you are using, but I got a cheaper one last time that ended up being quite thick and was a nightmare to apply smoothly. I used 2 options....added some fibreglass resing to thin it out a bit (but this makes it a bit more difficult to sand), or add some thinners. This makes it go on really smooth, but takes a lot longer to go off properly (and i mean at least 24 hours).

My garage now resembles the sahara there's that much dust in it!

The other way is just practise! looking good so far pal :)

Get a old credit card and scoop some filler onto the card and then press firmly over the surface of the helmet. It will put a thin layer of filler on the helmet and help fill any gaps. You'll have to put several layers on but like hooper said, it will really save time for sanding.

As for the range finder, you can always attach it later. I am actually happy I left mine off from the helmet because it is making it a lot easier to work with.

Looking good.
Im fast becoming a pep file fan and want to build something of my own from scratch, your thread even showing the paper templates is great inspiration.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back