Bob Iger reveals that George Lucas was disappointed by TFA

DaddyfromNaboo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
He said as much in the Charlie Rose interview. He likened it to a divorce and called Disney white slavers.

"They wanted to do a retro movie. Something for the fans. I just wanted to tell the story of a family."

He them lambasts Hollywood for being risk averse.

There is clearly no love lost between them and I imagine his relationship with Kathleen Kennedy must be strained because of it.

i didn't think this was new news? i remember when TFA came out and the street interviews of lucas, he seemed very fake with his answers

"you can see it was made for the fans"

what i do love about lucas is he's not afraid to say how he really feels, "white slavers"

i wonder how he feels about a certain other movie ;)

i didn't think this was new news? i remember when TFA came out and the street interviews of lucas, he seemed very fake with his answers

"you can see it was made for the fans"

what i do love about lucas is he's not afraid to say how he really feels, "white slavers"

i wonder how he feels about a certain other movie ;)

He loves TLJ. It's the worst (star wars) movie of all time. So TPM/AOTC never will be the worst again.

You know that he wasn't ever going to like any of the sequels since they decided to not use any of his ideas in TFA. TLJ could have been one of the best Star Wars movies to date and Lucas wouldn't like it because they didn't go the route he would have gone. The way I see it, Lucas has buyer's remorse and wishes that he hadn't sold Star Wars to Disney.

Personally, I'm not sure that had Lucas actually kept Star Wars and made ep. VII & on himself that they would have been all that much better. It's not like the prequels were particularly well liked back before the sequels came out and somehow I doubt that that would have blunted his ego any. While Lucas' sequels would almost certainly been quite different from what we got, I doubt that they would have been any better though.

"Looking back with the perspective of several years and a few more Star Wars films, I believe J.J. achieved the near-impossible, creating a perfect bridge between what had been and what was to come."

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one, Bob.

This fits with what we've heard other places. The meeting that Bob is talking about, sounds like it probably happened after Michael had pitched the idea of having Luke show up at the very end of TFA. As opposed to half through, like George had suggested. They also had probably dumped the exploration of the midi-chlorian/Whills stuff by then.

“There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward."

I find this funny. Isn't George the guy who came up with the whole rhyming thing in Star Wars? And the guy who had Tatooine appear 5 out of his 6 films.......I love you George, but sometimes you say things weird things :lol:

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back