Blue Alice in Wonderland coat-Finsihed with pics!!!

Eveningarwen

***********Here's my finished pics! I may add some more later but I'm kind in a rush at the moment. :D ***********************

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0277-1.jpg

So when I saw Alice in wonderland (the Tim Burton version) I fell in love with so many of the costumes. I've already made the Hatter and Um from Umbridge but now I want to make that blue coat that she wears at the end of the film for all of 5 seconds. I've really gotten into making movie coat replicas because so many are great coats and can be worn as an everyday article of clothing without people realizing that it is technically a "costume".

So here are my work in progress photos of it so far. Already there are little things here and there that I would change if I were to make it again but overall I am happy with how it's coming out. Also with the camera flash the coat color is coming out more sky blue then periwinkle blue but it is definitely a more toned down light blue then what the pics are showing. The closeup of the back is the most accurate color depiction.

The actual coat:
Alice-coat.jpg

My work in progress:
DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Blue Wool Alice in Wonderland coat

here's some more photos of my coat! It's definitely more tricky then one would think but so far I'm liking how its coming out. The only issue I came across is the wool wasn't quite wide enough so I had to go back and buy more. I'm having to use about 4.5 yards of wool and that last yard has quite a bit of waste space. In the future if I make this coat again I'll have to make sure to get 60" wide fabric. Da well! Here are the sleeves and the bottom extension. I wish you could see the pinking edges more clearly but no matter how I do the picture it doesn't come out that clear.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

This looks great! I sew too, so I completely understand the effort going into this! Keep us posted with more photos!

I've now got the collar and lining on. Now it's a matter of figuring out how to do the embroidery on the front where the buttons go. I believe I have it figured out but am still trying to perfect it.

Before the collar goes on....the finished product ends up being a bit to thick because of the extra layer of wool but I'm unsure of how to go about fixing that.
DSC_0031-1.jpg

The lining:
DSC_0033-1.jpg

Finished collar:
DSC_0034-1.jpg

Back of collar:
DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

A few more pics of the jacket. It's basically done now, all it needs is buttons. I tried the buttons I had but the shanks made them stick to far out from the jacket so I'm waiting for some more flat back buttons to arrive that I can cover. But other then those it's all done and I can't wait to get the buttons on and then take proper pics with the coat on outside somewhere like the beach or on/near a boat/harbor area to give that end of the movie feel. As for the detail on the front of the coat....for the longest time I thought those were trims or some kind of add on but when I watched the blu ray of the film it seemed to be embroidery. So that's what I went with because it looked the most accurate/cleanest/easiest. I had to use my machine to do it by following a stencil I marked on the coat (which thankfully all markings came off at the dry cleaners) so it was a bit of an organic process lol but overall I'm happy with the look.

DSC_0041-1.jpg

DSC_0042-1.jpg

DSC_0043-2.jpg

DSC_0044-2.jpg

That is just beautiful.
I fell in love with that coat too. Glad to see one made so well.
Are we going to see you wearing it??

Too bad in florida I have no use for a wool coat

holy cow. INCREDIBLY beautiful!!! amazing attention to detail! <3

Thanks so much! The detail of a costume is always my fav part lol! Also I LOVE your work! I've been following your rapunzel thread with loads of jealousy lol! I always have a hard time styling wigs and yours is coming out incredible!

That is just beautiful.
I fell in love with that coat too. Glad to see one made so well.
Are we going to see you wearing it??

Too bad in florida I have no use for a wool coat

Yes! Once I get the button shells in so I can cover the buttons with the same wool it will be 100% finished and ready for a photoshoot. I'm hoping for next weekend sometime to be when it happens.

It's all done! I finally got my flat shell button shells and smaller shank ends so the buttons lie flat against the coat! Now all I have to do is take the studio picture of it on with me all Alice'd up! That will probably be next weekend! But for now:

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Looks great! I can`t wait to see your final pictures. If you were closer, my wife would offer to take them for you :)

Thank you both! I'm really quite proud of this coat build! I've always found coats to be hard and I really took my time with this one and I think it shows. I can't wait to show the pics of the coat on me because that's when it really comes to life.

I also want to thank everyone who takes the time to comment and even view my thread! I really appreciate it! :love (I really wanted a kiss smiley face but apparently that's the closest I could get lol)

Looks great! I can`t wait to see your final pictures. If you were closer, my wife would offer to take them for you :)

Great job!

This is unreal!! Great work! I really love it. Can't wait for pictures of it being worn.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back