Blockade runner/Studio scale model / tantive iv

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by modelman, Jun 2, 2015.

1. modelman

modelman New Member

Well the tubes arrived today and I can start this build blog. I’ve wanted to do this model for years now. What’s been holding me up I here you say, Life, that’s the problem and money this is no cheap model. Well my kids are now old enough to help me in this endeavor I still don’t have the money but here goes anyhow.

I’ve built the model in the computer to start with and played around with it changing this and that for over a year now. I’m happy with the look of the ship, it did turn out a little longer than people are saying the real model was just over six and a half feet. Mine is 2200mm that’s seven foot three inches. But I’ve used a slightly bigger diameter tube than the original model. Any way judge for your self’s on this matter from the computer pictures.
    I can’t afford to get all the correct parts for this model so I will go the way that Mr. Henning did and try to represent the parts that they used.

This model will have to be built on a budget so lots of scratch building on this job.
    I will be updating this blog I hope on a regular time scale. I hope you all like it. This is the biggest model I’ve made so far.

tentive IV over veiw001.JPG tentive IV over veiw002.JPG
    tentive IV over veiw003.JPG tentive IV over veiw004.JPG IMG_2053.jpg IMG_2052.jpg IMG_2054.jpg

tentive IV over veiw001.JPG

tentive IV over veiw002.JPG

tentive IV over veiw003.JPG

tentive IV over veiw004.JPG

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. moztech

moztech Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Studio scale model / tentive iv

Good Luck with your build, I'll will be following. Have you seen this thread for possible parts?

3. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Such a cool project - looking forward to seeing what you do!

4. struschie

struschie Active Member

Very nice project! I wish you lots of fun and who knows? Maybe your build impresses some guys with some of the needed parts?

5. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

One of my favourite ships , subscribed , here's a great master class in painting the runner I posted on my falcon build
    http://vimeo.com/51995786

6. modelman

modelman New Member

Hi All.
    Some movment on the model this week. I managed to get all the tubes together and write the laser cut programs for the side tube as they were going to be the most trouble to cut buy hand. As you can see from the pictures the base board is done and the main tube is almost ready.

To keep it nice and square I’ve strengthened the main tube with flat stock plexi glass and I hope it will be enough. All the side tubes are back from the laser cutter and all look super, the program worked. It will be easy job to fit them to the main tube just a little end fitting to be done.

That’s all for now hope you like it and please leave a reply good or bad they all help.

The modelman
    tentive IV june 004.jpg tentive IV june 017.jpg tentive IV june 007.jpg tentive IV june 006.jpg tentive IV june 014.jpg tentive IV june 013.jpg tentive IV june 008.jpg tentive IV june 009.jpg tentive IV june 005.jpg

Attached Files:

struschie, Lee S and Vacformedhero like this.
  7. modelman

modelman New Member

Well I’ve made a little progress this week. I got the main cross section in the middle of the ship finished. With the pre cut tubes the work load was down to a few hours with a file. I’ve started to cover the model with 0.5mm plastic card. As you see or don’t see in the photos I cut the plastic to size and drill small holes all over the surface. The plastic is then fixed in place it with pack bands and using MEK glue and a brush I let the glue run under the plastic using capillary action on the sides and through the holes this way I get a very large surface area glued before it evaporates. As to the photos, this model is big and I'm having a little problem with taking photos in my little work shop I will try to find an answer to the problem soon.
    More in the next week log.
    View attachment 494384 tentive IV june 112.jpg tentive IV june 115.jpg tentive IV june 113.jpg tentive IV june 117.jpg tentive IV june 116.jpg tentive IV june 119.jpg tentive IV june 118.jpg tentive IV june 121.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    ILMwannabe, Randy13, moztech and 2 others like this.
  8. struschie

struschie Active Member

Good job so far -

9. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Good tip (the holes...), Modelman! Happy building, it looks to be off to a good start!

Regards/ Robert

10. joberg

joberg Master Member

Very good job! Eager to see the next update:)

11. modelman

modelman New Member

Re:Blockade runner/ Studio scale model / tentive iv

Hello all.

Sorry it's been a long time since the last update I've had a few problems a hospital stay and a small operation and with two months off to get better. Anyway I'm back to work and back on the model.Not a lot to see at this point. I've covered most of the tubes now with plastic card. This will make the next level so much easer.

I will start at the front and do the hammer head as I think this will make or brake the model. Get this right and the rest will be (I hope) plane sailing. As I said before this will not be a studio copy but a studio interpretation. I mean where there are parts on the real model I will try my best to represented that part. My budget will not go so far to pay for all the parts, plastic or resin. To all you guys who will make the original model with Jason I wish you all luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your models.

Jason can you please help me in the next picture you put up with all the parts layout can you please add a rule with inches or centimetres on it this would give me a good idea of the scale of the parts.

Enjoy the pictures more to come soon.

Ian.

tentive IV sept 011.jpg tentive IV sept 004.jpg tentive IV sept 017.jpg tentive IV sept 013.jpg tentive IV sept 008.jpg tentive IV sept 002.jpg tentive IV sept 010.jpg tentive IV sept 003.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    blackeagles likes this.
  12. modelman

modelman New Member

Re: Blockade runner/Studio scale model / tentive iv

A Few more.

Any questions please let me know.

Ian.

tentive IV sept 005.jpg tentive IV sept 014.jpg tentive IV sept 019.jpg tentive IV sept 006.jpg tentive IV sept 007.jpg tentive IV sept 018.jpg

blackeagles likes this.
  13. modelman

modelman New Member

Re: Blockade runner/ Studio scale model / tentive iv

And the last few show How I fixed the plasic to the tubes. tentive IV june 123.jpg tentive IV june 124.jpg tentive IV june 125.jpg tentive IV june 122.jpg

tentive IV sept 012.jpg tentive IV sept 013.jpg tentive IV sept 020.jpg tentive IV sept 021.jpg More soon Happy modelling.

blackeagles and Vacformedhero like this.
  14. joberg

joberg Master Member

Re: Blockade runner/ Studio scale model / tentive iv

Great updates! It's already looking like the ship we've come to love:cool

15. modelman

modelman New Member

Re: Blockade runner/Studio scale model / tentive iv

Hello All.
    Just alittle update this as I’m very busy with life this week. As you can see formthe pictures I’ve been doing some work on the head and the pictures are the 3Dwork. I’m happywith the size and shape now the blueprints are really bad in the part and I wouldn’t use them if I where you. If you see anything you think is wrong please let me knowbe for I start to cut plastic. Thanks for looking and please leave a few lines,good or bad.

hand 001.JPG hand 002.JPG hand 003.JPG hand 004.JPG hand 005.JPG hand 006.JPG hand 007.JPG hand 008.JPG

hand 001.JPG

hand 002.JPG

hand 003.JPG

hand 004.JPG

hand 005.JPG

hand 006.JPG

hand 007.JPG

hand 008.JPG

16. star-art

star-art Sr Member

I can truly appreciate how hard it is to recreate this subject -- especially this "signature" part of the ship. The original model makers at ILM did a rush job "grafting" the new head onto the old body. The results where the head meets the neck were pretty messy. The geometry doesn't really work, and it's not easy to get a good match to the studio model in this area.

17. ILMwannabe

ILMwannabe Active Member

Yep, and they were cleverly able to change the "apparent" scale of the ship as well with minimal changes to the model (just like they did with the USS Enterprise after the first pilot). I only recently realized that the forward-most part of the neck of the Tantovy IV was actually the aft half of the original cockpit! This ship is an excellent and fascinating exercise in geometry - especially the intersection of mutliple curved shapes. Nice work! :)

18. modelman

modelman New Member

Thanks for the few lines you sent. I would like to point out this is a WIP. The real model had this problem too. It will always turn up when two primitive objects meet like this.
    They got around it by adding a second layer to the connection see photos.

120_SWI_1486.jpg _MG_5603.jpg _MG_0572.jpg _MG_5587.jpg

I hope the photos show what I mean. The second layer will cover up the joint at the sides and more kit parts on the top and bottom. Thanks anyway for looking.

Attached Files:

19. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is wonderful!!

20. modelman

modelman New Member

Ok, just aquick update here. Going from virtually to reality there is a small differencenot that much but I can be a few millimeters off on the model. The plasticdidn’t bent just the same as the virtualsurface. I’m off a millimeter or two setting the model up. Some of the angleswhere a little off. So cut, fit, refit and then glue. It’s working out so themodel I made in the computer isn’t that bad.

Have funand make something.
    IMG_8976small.jpg IMG_8977s.jpg
    IMG_8978s.jpg IMG_8979s.jpg IMG_8980s.jpg IMG_8983s.jpg IMG_8984s.jpg IMG_8985s.jpg

IMG_8976small.jpg

IMG_8977s.jpg

IMG_8978s.jpg

IMG_8979s.jpg

IMG_8980s.jpg

IMG_8983s.jpg

IMG_8984s.jpg

IMG_8985s.jpg

21. ProfKSergeev

ProfKSergeev Well-Known Member

Some very tricky intersections but you're doing a bang-up job!

22. star-art

star-art Sr Member

That's looking nice! Very tricky stuff indeed.

struschie likes this.
  23. modelman

modelman New Member

Thinks are moving along at the moment. I have some holiday coming up so I hope to get a little more done on the model soon.I've fnished all the 3D work for the rear engine block and out riger. Pipes and LEDs have been ordered for the motors just have to make the turbies in the computer on and have one made in RP and cast 11 off!!!!!!!!
    Have a look at the pictures more soon.
    engines 009.JPG engines 001.JPG engines 002.JPG engines 003.JPG engines 004.JPG engines 005.JPG engines 006.JPG engines 007.JPG engines 008.JPG engines 012.JPG engines 011.JPG engines 010.JPG engines 014.JPG engines 013.JPG

24. Noddy4000

Noddy4000 New Member

So so lucky to be able to do this model, modelman. I hope it's making you smile as much as it is me. :) Can't wait to see the next update!

25. joberg

joberg Master Member

Tricky stuff there modelman! But doing one hell of a job putting it together:cool Keep up the great work!

26. star-art

star-art Sr Member

The engine section on this ship requires a tremendous amount of structural engineering. Each engine is quite heavy and most of it cantilevers off the main block. It's very hard to tell how they made the original structure's internal details, but it appears most of it was built from 1/4" (6 mm) thick acrylic. Even so, the six outboard "X" engines (i.e. what you called "outrigger") on the studio model are starting to sag now.

27. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

How did you cut your acrylic tubing? The edges look so clean that they almost appear polished. Those are some challenging angles to cut correctly. Nicely done!

28. modelman

modelman New Member

Hi guys
    Thanks for leaving your comments.

Duncanator,

The answer is with a laser. I made the whole model in the computer and used the 3D data to write a cut program for a 3 axle cutting machine. I only cuts 90°to the tube so a little finishing was done with the file. I was very quick way to start off the model and a good base to work off as all the tube where cut to a close tolerance. This is not a cheap way to go but the cost of buying new tubes if I screwed up would have been the same. The rest of the cuts were made with a razor saw from Tamiya and finished with fine sand paper and then hot flame from a torch.

Star-art

You’ve touch on one of my fears. Engine Droop this happens in older space ships and can be treated well if you see a doctor early. Yes the answer is weight. The lighter you can make the engines the better it is, I will make all the walls out of 3mm plastic card with PU foam strengthening at all the joints. I hope this will help it will be strong but light. The real problem I think they had was the lighting and the amount of cooling they had to use to stop it melting under the heat, I will use LEDs which give off little or no heat and are very much lighter in weight. Still a long way to go before we get to the engines still got some idea’s going round in my heads on this.

Joberg

Thanks for the comment. It’s getting trickier by the hour at the moment. I’ve started the head and cockpit and I’m trying to work out all the lighting. I want lots of little lights in the cockpit so I’m using fiber optics and for the light sauce I’m going to use the rear light from my bike. It’s a battey operated light and it’s got 5 leds all red, changed out four now for yellow, blue orange and white. The light has 5 blinking cycles so I change the rate the lights all blink. It all sounds completed but is isn’t when it’s up and running I will try to post a little video.

Thanks all for looking

It’s nice to know other people think this is cool.

McGraph and VFX Freak like this.
  29. blackeagles

blackeagles New Member

Very, very nice Job!

30. modelman

modelman New Member

Just a few new pictures to start with.
    tentive IV sept 008.jpg tentive IV sept 010.jpg tentive IV sept 013.jpg tentive IV sept 015.jpg tentive IV sept 017.jpg tentive IV sept 011.jpg tentive IV sept 019.jpg

Getting a head.
    Sorry for the title. What you see in the photos is the second attempt at the hammer head. The first one I made was a complete disaster. I made a skellington of plastic beams and discs and covered it with a thin (0.5mm) thick skin for plastic. Looked great when finished it but the next day it looked like a dead marshmallow. All the panels had sunk in. The fumes from the MEK glue had softened the plastic from the inside and they had sunk in. I had not cut holes in the bulkheads to let the fumes out. Lesson learned.

Head Number two.
    Lessons learned.
    1, Make it out of thicker plastic sheet
    2, Cut holes in the bulkheads to get the fumes out.
    With this in mind I went about redesigning the head. I made a model of the head out of PU foam minus the thickness of the plastic sheet 1.5mm.
    I planned to heat the plastic in the oven and while hot form it over the model using an old t-shirt stretched over it to give an even pressure over the whole model skin while it cooled. It worked like a dream and my son and I got it down to 10 minutes, 6 in the oven at 160°C and 4 minutes cooling off over the model. I made six half parts four very good ones and two in reserve.

Next I made a flat main bulkhead running the whole width of the hammerhead and to this I fixed all the other bulkheads. The formed parts where cut to a template I made of the model and fitted together with the main bulkhead running down the centre line.
    Once it was all glued up I put it out side for a day just to make sure all he glue fumes were out of the model.
    Cutting out the main cockpit window and the sensors bays was a long and difficult job I was not expecting this, but as I transferred the data from my computer model to the real world things didn’t work out. In the end I did it by eye and I’m happy with it but it was two evenings work to get it correct.
    I planned to have a cockpit in my model with a few flashing lights just for show. I went the cheap way. The cost of a circuit board and led lights if I went this way would be 40 euros as this model is on the cheap I went with bike back lights some wire and LED lights the lot cost me 15 euros and I’ve got 6 blinking pattons to play with.

Thanks for reading, more next time if anyone has any question please let me know and I will answer them. Sorry it’s been a long time since I updated the blog two much work and life getting in the way.
    Ian.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    struschie likes this.
  31. modelman

modelman New Member

tentive IV sept 025.jpg tentive IV sept 031.jpg tentive IV sept 008.jpg tentive IV sept 023.jpg tentive IV sept 022.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    struschie likes this.
  32. modelman

modelman New Member

tentive IV sept 004.jpg tentive IV sept 003.jpg tentive IV sept 006.jpg tentive IV sept 007.jpg tentive IV sept 005.jpg
    The back lights from bikes make great blinking units.

struschie likes this.
  33. modelman

modelman New Member

Trying to get the window and sensor bays correct. tentive IV sept 037.jpg tentive IV sept 035.jpg tentive IV sept 036.jpg tentive IV sept 034.jpg tentive IV sept 033.jpg
    one side was a little low so filler was needed to get it all square.

struschie and Vacformedhero like this.
  34. modelman

modelman New Member

tentive IV sept 039.jpg tentive IV sept 043.jpg tentive IV sept 046.jpg tentive IV sept 042.jpg tentive IV sept 041.jpg

Filling out the sensor bays.

struschie, SofaKing01 and moffeaton like this.
  35. joberg

joberg Master Member

You're doing things right building that model (gotta be careful with the MEK glue; nasty stuff) keep up the great work!

36. modelman

modelman New Member

tentive IV april 2016 052.jpg tentive IV april 2016 054.jpg tentive IV april 2016 055.jpg tentive IV april 2016 056.jpg tentive IV april 2016 058.jpg tentive IV april 2016 046.jpg tentive IV april 2016 048.jpg tentive IV april 2016 049.jpg tentive IV april 2016 051.jpg tentive IV april 2016 053.jpg

Started to add a little of the details from old model kits. Like I said before I'm trying to keep the costs down so I will not be using the modelparts from the film but will try to get it close as possable.

hope you like it.

Ian.

37. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Ohh the flashbacks! Cant we get Meds Starart Charles? Ian keep up the good work.. if you have any questions do not hesitate in asking... looking like a blockade Runner for sure!!

38. star-art

star-art Sr Member

That is looking very fine! Nice work indeed. Building it that way from scratch is about as hard as it gets!

Yeah, Steve, flashbacks, indeed! Not to insult or demean any servicemen out there but I'm wondering if there might be such a thing as "post traumatic modeler's syndrome" for those who had to build under duress/deadline for the studios, etc. LOL

swpropmaker likes this.
  39. blackeagles

blackeagles New Member

Perfect job Modelman !!!!
    I admire

40. propcollector

propcollector Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

struschie likes this.
  41. joberg

joberg Master Member

Great update and looking the part for sure. I admire your courage; not an easy model to tackle:cool

42. dbhs

dbhs Well-Known Member

Awesome project. Love the internal framing and engineering involved in building this.

43. modelman

modelman New Member

Hello Gentleman.

Thank you forall the great praise and encouragement.I need all I can get. It will be a long project but I’ve broken it down tosections that can be handled well.
    If I get boredwith the section I’m working at the time I can change to another section and it keepsit fresh.
    I forgot to say the cockpit is not the finished one it is just to show
    what can bedone, a prototype if you like. I have never done lighting before so it’s all newto me.
    I will add a better looking one to the end model. In answer to your
    question Propcollector I used Revel 1/72 scale tornado plane cockpitpanels. I have a bunch left over send me your address and I will see aboutsending you a few.
    I have amodel show this weekend hear in Germany and I’m taking it as a WIP model seewhat interest I can drum up and a few old kits I hope.
    Thanks for looking. You
    guys are the onlyfeedback I have at the moment so please keep looking and tell your friends.
    All the best

Ian.(modelman)

44. propcollector

propcollector Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey thanks ian you are doing a great job and can't wait to see the end result!!!

45. modelman

modelman New Member

struschie likes this.
  46. modelman

modelman New Member

WP_20171106_22_28_50_aPro.jpg WP_20171106_22_28_58_aPro.jpg WP_20171106_22_29_08_aPro.jpg WP_20171106_22_29_22_aPro.jpg WP_20171106_22_29_45_aPro.jpg WP_20171106_22_30_05_aPro.jpg WP_20171106_22_30_52_aPro.jpg WP_20171106_22_31_04_aPro.jpg WP_20171106_22_31_10_aPro.jpg
    Hello All.
    First off, sorry. I wanted to keep up this thread but I hadother things in my life to deal with. How were all good and I can restart thisproject. I’ve not done very much but here is a quick update on where we arenow.
    The head is well on the way. I’ve covered the body with thetiles which turned out to be harder than I thought. Tried to make a template ofthe tiles from paper it worked to a degree but you have to remember that withthe spaces in between you get an ever increasing error which made the last rowway to thin. Start over and rip off the first attempt. Second attempt, use thetemplates but rework every tile with 1mm cut from both sides. Tip, glue onlythe edges it makes it easier to lift them off if you make a mistake.
    Next week start on the sides I have some 3d printed parts onthe way for the tanks and the front hatches. Hope to keep it up now but we willsee. Please comments and tips please.

WP_20171106_22_28_50_aPro.jpg

WP_20171106_22_28_58_aPro.jpg

WP_20171106_22_29_08_aPro.jpg

WP_20171106_22_29_22_aPro.jpg

WP_20171106_22_29_45_aPro.jpg

WP_20171106_22_30_05_aPro.jpg

WP_20171106_22_30_52_aPro.jpg

WP_20171106_22_31_04_aPro.jpg

WP_20171106_22_31_10_aPro.jpg

Treadwell, edge10 and vectorzero like this.
  47. marvin

marvin Well-Known Member

Man its looking great Ian! Love the scratch build. I don't know if read over it, but are you going full accurate studio scale with the correct donor parts?

I was wondering cause i don't think I've seen pics that show the cockpit well enough to ID the parts. I'm having the same problem with my Sandcrawler.

48. modelman

modelman New Member

Hello Marvin.

I'm not doing a full accurate studio scale model it will be the same size, but not the correct donor parts. Just using what I have, scratch and some 3D printing. the cockpit I just went with a few pictures I have. Thanks for the interest.

49. RSWillett1

RSWillett1 New Member

Glad to see you back at it! She's looking very nice :)!

50. star-art

star-art Sr Member

There isn't much good reference out there on the cockpit. I was able to recreate what was in the studio model very precisely (with help from a few friends). I'm not permitted to share pics of it under construction. (We were promised we could after the opening 2 years ago but they later went back on that promise.) But here are some images of our replica on display.

Please remember this was an EXTREME rush job so the final finish was a bit rough. It was disappointing after all the work that went into it, but there just wasn't enough time to do it right. All that mattered was that it was done in time. . .

Attached Files:

dirtydave likes this.