Blaster design brainstorm session...

Matsuo

Sr Member
With all the projects I've got going I'm feelin a little tapped out in the imagination department...need a little kickstart...

fortyfives.jpg

The idea is to come up with something completely new so that I need not worry about "infringement".

I got a set of molds for a 1911 .45 pistol.
What I'd like to do is come up with a sci fi dress up kit for it. Or a couple styles for that matter.

What I'd really like to brainstorm on and possibly see some renderings of, would be a "what if" Star Wars blaster, as if the OT armorers took a .45 and dressed it up as a hero blaster. I do have a mk 19 scope which could be side saddled with the proper mount.

The other would be an all out custom not limited to Star Wars styling...anime inspired perhaps. Something like the seburu.

Another tangent I've been mulling over would be the Grammaton Cleric mods. As if the Tetragrammaton were established in the 20's or 30's to confront the apparent moral turpitude and corruption that flourished back in the heyday of "The Mob". Just an idea mind you.

Heh for that matter I could stick a grenade launcher on one and call it a BSG blaster...:lol

I know there are a couple of .45 based props from movies and anime, like The Shadow guns, or Wolfwoods gun from Trigun or The devil may cry ebony and ivory. But I want to do something totally new. A design that attempts to disguise the origins of the base gun.

In the end I want to design some kind of sci fi add on kit for the .45 that can not only work on my resin guns but airsofts, blank guns and heaven forbid real guns...;)

Ideas, pictures, and CG renderings welcome.

Thanks.

Matt

Here's a stormtrooper pistol.

st1.jpg

Just ... ah ... ignore the obvoius differences in width & depth. Consider the profile :)

-Mike

Mike, you have entirely too much free time on your hands...and in this case, that's a very good thing. :lol Great stuff. I actually *really* like the Han Solo-esque design, I could totally see that hanging out with the rest of my prop guns.

Keep 'em coming. :D

-Rick

Scopes and flash suppressors are pretty standard equipment for most Star Wars pistols. The ones which don't have flash supressors tend to have some sort of bulbous "emittor" at the end of the barrel. They also tend have a "chunky" look in my opinion. Something slung under the barrel and infront of the trigger guard as in Sith Sheriff Brody's "Han Solo-esque" image. Heat sinks are fairly common too.

I love the idea for the project. :thumbsup

Wow, cool. Thanks man.

I tell ya, that cleric pistol looks like a fist full of hurt...youch.

Now that I recall I believe there was a McQuarrie concept of the storm trooper blaster that used something that looked like the 1911 grip...Hmmmm....

M

what about making it into a rifle type pistol...like a stock on the back? and maybe a pair of scopes. But the snub look in the front. The scopes could be a mix betweeen the Evazan and the Hoth/Endor trooper type mount.

Or the barrel could be like the one from the megatron transformer toy. it simply attatches to the front.

just a few from the top of my head....

Can the slide on your molds be separated from the frame? There's a lot more options open, if so, yes?

Do you want the action to still be able to work on airsofts or real guns? If so, can a shell be made that will stand up to the recoil and gas of the latter?

Finally, have you though about incorporating just the frame and a MechTech style carbine upper, and dressing that up? Or must it remain a pistol?

ss18om.jpg

:love

That's my favorite, SSB. Looks like a fairly simple mod too(especially for Matt, who could make a blaster out of goat cheese and it'd still look good). I don't know why more people don't do double-barreled blasters; they just look so cool.

Originally posted by Matsuo@Mar 11 2006, 07:44 PM
Now that I recall I believe there was a McQuarrie concept of the storm trooper blaster that used something that looked like the 1911 grip...Hmmmm....
[snapback]1203855[/snapback]​

That'd be this one--the inset pic is from the Hasbro Concept Trooper action figure ;)

(I've got a larger scan from the ART OF SW book if you want ;) )

Originally posted by Sith Sheriff Brody@Mar 11 2006, 09:09 PM
Yer welcome  :D

Here's some science-fiction or anime-y silhouettes for inspiration:

ss1.jpg

-Mike
[snapback]1203891[/snapback]​

i gotta say, i am a big fan of the top and bottom on the left hand side of the pic.

very, very cool.

chris

Mike, I love the silhouettes, I like the bottom left one. It looks like it could be made into an I robot type gun, maybe a prototype or a test bed to test caseless ammo technology... :love

Supergreg :p, Two barrels is always better than one..:D

Kaylee, my resin .45's are solid so no moving parts, but I would like to make a kit that would work allowing for slide movement and blowback. Which means attaching the add ons to the frame and encasing the rest of the gun in a shell.
If on a real gun, I would use a frame mounted sight rail to mount the add ons to and build around she slide in steel or aluminum. Any resin or plastic would not stand up to the heat and recoil of live fire.

Check out these Custom guns I snagged off the net.Guntriks

1911customs440.jpg

Hosted by Wackychimp.

Brian, that's the blaster I had in mind...didn't someone do that some time ago?
Of course I'd love a high res pic. :D

Looking at it it looks like you could make a pistol version with a quick connect barrel extension for the carbine...good idear no?

M

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Sith Sheriff Brody@Mar 12 2006, 03:09 AM
Yer welcome  :D

Here's some science-fiction or anime-y silhouettes for inspiration:

ss1.jpg

-Mike
[snapback]1203891[/snapback]​
I really like the one on the bottom left. maybe add some side rails to it, build out the width, and extend the barrel a bit. Add on something along the top, like a scope rail or something.

Edit - ok, after about 5 minutes using MS Paint, this is about what I was thinking

45blaster-vi.jpg

Convert it to a carbine. Add a shoulder stock and an extended barrel with a vented barrel shroud. Maybe a scope or something also. I like the way the government issue stock looks attached to the grip, maybe something like that with a skeletonized look to it. Check out this page for a sample pic: 1911 carbine.

This site has an interesting carbine conversion kit, perhaps it can give some ideas: carbine kit

Perhaps one of our more creative members can come up with an interesting drawing or sketch. I myself have zero art ability or I would try.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back