Blast from the Past!! 1/72 Matchbox Churchill A.V.R.E. in three (3!!!) versions!

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Rob1970, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Rob1970

Rob1970 Member

Right... let's commit to some things. Because people always say I should commit. Or is that "be commited"? Aaaanyway...

This is -one- of my other entries for a D-Day G.B.
    Yes, one of them. There's going to be several. Spanning land, air and sea. Because... well... who needs sleep anyway?

This is Matchbox's Churchill A.V.R.E. Bridgelayer. A lovely kit, and not the first time I am going to build it. Did one waaaaaay back when it first came out in '83. Now going to do it again, minus the globs of glue and the lack of paint...

I managed to find three of the kits, two original Matchbox kits and a Revell rebox.
    [​IMG]

So besides the bridge layer this is also in the works at the same time.

[​IMG]

Ambitious? Meh... it's a few struts, a bobbin and some carpet? How hard can it be?

And this one too...

Got wood?

[​IMG]

Box!!
    [​IMG]

The glorious 3-colour content of aforementioned box...
    [​IMG]

I'm starting with the bridges, building at least two of them to have one of them as a trailer hitched to the Bridge-Layer tank. A good opportunity to compare the original Matchbox and the Revell Reboxing.

Matchbox parts on the left in brown, Revell on the right in dark green... There's very little flash on both spreus, and just a few very shallow ejector-pin marks where it shows.
    [​IMG]

I've got 3 steps of the plans sorted. I really don't remember spending that much time all those years ago in 1983 removing flash and seams... or sanding ejector-pin mark. But at least now I have two completed bridges all done, bar the rigging.

Funny thing... the Matchbox parts (the older kit) has some of the bigger sinkmarks. Nothing a little putty won't sort though.
    [​IMG]

The plans say the rigging with later connect to the tiny stubs on the bar. But a couple of eyes seem more logical to me...
    [​IMG]

So, a quick swipe with a sanding stick and some marking for the drill.
    [​IMG]

I bought a couple of fine drills (0.5 and 0.8mm) and raided my wife's craft stash for a couple of bone beads as handles. The hole in the beads is tapered inwards, and the drills just stick.
    [​IMG]

A bit of copper wire, some CA-glue... and we have nice eyes!
    [​IMG]

Two halves...
    [​IMG]

Two halves make one...
    [​IMG]

Second bridge coming together as well.
    [​IMG]

Just a couple of sinkmarks to deal with. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Got two bridge to pick from.
    [​IMG]

More soooon!

Rob

Teddz likes this.
  2. Teddz

Teddz Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4. Rob1970

Rob1970 Member

The Bobbin

vehicle_none3_zps1c8d44e7.jpg
    This one carried a reel of 10-foot (3.0 m) wide canvas cloth reinforced with steel poles carried in front of the tank and unrolled onto the ground to form a "path", so that following vehicles (and the deploying vehicle itself) would not sink into the soft ground of the beaches during the amphibious landing.

Fascine Carrier

churchill-avre-fascines_zps7ddd735d.jpg

Fascine were bundles of wooden poles or rough brushwood lashed together with wires. They were carried on the front of the tank on a sloping rig and could be released to fill a ditch or form a step. Metal pipes in the centre of the fascine allowed water to flow through. These AVREs often pulled a sled with more fascine on them for later deployment.

These were all part of "Hobart's Funnies". Hobart's Funnies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    People on the forum that is running this D-Day GB are goading me into doing the whole set... I just might try that...

Rob

5. Rob1970

Rob1970 Member

Today I spent tinkering with turrets. Three turrets, now that my two bridges are done.

On the spigot gun there are supposed to be a shield-like thingie and some kind of cover around the coaxial machine gun. Matchbox did that with a vaguely triangular blob of plastic for the shield, and coaxial gun is bare...
    [​IMG]

A bit of tinkering got that replaced with bits of styrene. One done, second one on the way...
    [​IMG]

It looks quite convincing, considering the scale.
    [​IMG]

Three turrets on the way. Doing them just a tad different each time, in regards to stowage. The one in the front has two bushels, the one in the middle one bushel, and is getting a box strapped to the turret. The one in the end has two bits of spare track hanging from the turret. All of them still get their share of brackets, like the one in front has.
    [​IMG]

More sooooon!

Rob

6. Rob1970

Rob1970 Member

After a day of making dem tubes for the DD Sherman... I needed a break. Something simple...

Yeah, right. Me and simple...

Well, It doesn't come much simpler then this, ya'd think, right?
    [​IMG]

I'm going to use this ancient kit to make a gutted Universal Carrier.

A what now?

Turns out they used Universal Carriers with the internals ripped out (engine, interior and whatnot) as all-terrain trailers.
    [​IMG]

Impressive sprue shot... half of which will be discarded...
    [​IMG]

About 10 minutes and two sneezes later...
    [​IMG]

Thinned down the front fenders with my Semi-dremel, and replaced the rear fenders with some styrene stock. And as you can see; no engine, seats, exhaust, guns or steeringwheel.

Next: some oil drums for cargo. Evergreen tube with a bit of sheet on one side...
    [​IMG]

Marking for the rings. I used the bigger size tube to help me mark them not just once...
    [​IMG]

... but twice.
    [​IMG]

Marked, a bit of strip glued on, and sanded with a sponge.
    [​IMG]

Time to put a lid on things...
    [​IMG]

One empty and two closed oil drums.
    [​IMG]

Next I will clean up the UC, sort out the towing bar, add some hooks and stuff and figure out more cargo to put on it.
    [​IMG]

More soon!!

Rob

7. kruleworld

kruleworld Well-Known Member

some interesting modeling stuff you are doing here. will watch for more.
    revell probably cleaned up the molds before putting them into production. Airfix make good molds, but they wear down quickly.

8. nitwit

nitwit New Member

Rob1970
    wow I just joined this forum so I could say I really like what you are doing with the Matchbox, Revell and Airfix kits (do you have a blog or other threads with work on these kinds of kits ?)
    I just finished the 1/76 A-34 Comet for the first time - your work inspires me to go even further, thank you :) CIMG2279.JPG