Blade's Replica Ammo Vest/Daywalker Costume

GRMM REAPRR

How’s it going fellow prop collectors and builders

This site is so amazing..... there are so many prop builders here with such amazing craftsmanship skills, keep up the great work guys.

I’m collector who values great craftsmanship and been prop building & also collecting props for about 10 years. From reading various post here, I can see there are many Blade fans on Therpf.

“SHOUT-OUT, to the the # 1 Blade fan (IndyFanChuck)” lol

I've seen a couple of people here reconstruct Blades ammo vest and finding prop builders here that still make the Blades ammo vest are non existent. To add to the matter also finding the original-Chrome Stubai buckles are just simply impossible to find.

So I'm taking up the challenge and will try to reconstruct as movie accurate as possible Blades 1 ammo vest.

Last edited:
Re: My Blade "The Daywalker" Replica Statue Project

Now in-order to replica the iconic leather coat that Blade wore in Blade 1. Had to reach out to my friend who fabricated the leather coat “Wesley Snipes” wore in Blade Trinity. After chatting with him for a while the only differences he described between the Blade 1 coat & Blade 3 coat are as follow.

The Blade 1 coat was made of deerskin streamlined with no buttons, a belt clasp with a Stubai buckle, a wide bottom hem that gave the coat a cape-like, flow pattern.

The Blade 3 coat was also made of deerskin followed the same stitching and cape like flow pattern as the Blade 1 coat. The new added features that Blade 3 coat had over the Blade 1 coat, were extra added stitching details on the sleeves, no belt loops or belt, the inside lining of the coat was now red instead of black.

Here a some comparison pics of the Blade 1 & Blade 3 coat.

Last edited:

Now here are the pics of the the Blade coat my friend made for me.....

mblade coat 2.jpg

mblade coat 3.jpg

mblade coat.jpg

Last edited:

Aweee.... Im trying to figure out how to delete the above pics, don't know why there showing up sideways, but once i figure it out i will post them correctly

Last edited:

The coat is simply stunning, it took my friend about a month to complete. The coat was tailored to be mounted on a 6'1 mannequin. It's a size Large, and he also tailored the diamond back cut-out where Blade's sword goes. The sword goes perfectly tucked between the leather and the inside-lining of the coat

Don't know how much the coat weighs but is very heavy

Material: Deerskin

Deeerskin VS. cowhide leather?

COMFORT
Deerskin is more comfortable than cowhide because its natural fibers trap air inside, making the leather feel lighter and softer. In addition, deerskin gets softer as it ages. Cowhide can be tough and stiff, and although its texture improves over time with more wear, its comfort level is never comparable to deerskin.

Here's another popular, talented, craftsman that produces the leather "The Daywalkers leather Coat"

Daywalker Coat

As you can see the stitching is different and the flow pattern of the coat differs. The only advantage my friend has over the above leather maker is that my friend developed the leather coat that Wesley Snipes wore in Blade Trinity and still has the leather patterns of the Blade coat.

At first after searching endlessly for a very accurate replica Blade coat, I was going to purchase my coat through Magnoliclothiers, but luckily I was introduced to this magnificent leather maker "Which at the time wishes to remain Private" who works with the movie studious and celebrities to fabricate one of kind leather garments. Not only does he have amazing craftsmanship skills but the man such a friendly, knowledgeable, business person with great customer service skills.

So now it's my turn to show of my craftsmanship skills and I will step up to the challenge and try to produce a close to possible. Blades 1, tactitcal ammo vest.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info.. I'll be keeping an eye on this!

I'm thinking with you saying it took you 5 payments to pay for the coat its a little out of my reach at the moment lol I'll just have to do with the ones i have at the min

Awesome work though keep us all updated

Mike

Great stuff.....the coat looks amazing. Can't wait to see how you tackle the vest

Here are some updates on the recent work of the Blade 1, tactical ammo vest. After searching the internet for various reference pics for the Blade ammo vest. I utilized the reference pics that, I found and used them to start a patterns for the vest.

Here are some pics of Blades original stunt ammo vest, which sold to a private collector via the

https://www.screenused.com/?sectionID=item-detail&subsectionID=index.cfm&item_id=4311

View attachment 372554View attachment 372555

Last edited:

To start of, I made a stencil pattern of the vest and transferred the stencil pattern to a black, leather canvas. After searching and visiting various places this black leather vinyl material that, I acquired is as close as I'm going to get to the original. So here are some progress pictures of my work, let me know what you guys think?

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

As everyone here is aware Stubai buckles, were the buckles used in Blades tactical vest. "Don't bother searching for these buckles because they are nearly impossible to find, seriously impossible to find."

The new version of these Click-Fix Stubai buckles now come in tempered aluminum, in a black anodized finish. So in order to replicate the original stainless steel/Chrome finish of the 5 Black Stubai buckles that I purchased. I'm going to send them out to a vacuum metalizing company to have them metalized in a stainless steel finish or chrome or whatever options are available through the company I will be going through.

Just to acquire these buckles cost me $250.00 plus whatever the cost will be to have them vacuum metalized? lol

Reproducing this vest is not cheap matter, but in the end I'm pretty confident this vest is going to look magnificent.

IMG_3141.jpg
- - - Updated - - -

blade_vest_6.jpg

Raw Blade Vest.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here are some more progress pics of the vest:

I have finally completed the chest pad's utilizing 2 different materials to give the chest pads some cool contrast. Also the ammo pouches are ready along with the harness straps that connect from the ammo pouches to the Stubai buckles. The harness straps have red lining running down the center, along with decorative material to compliment the sides of the straps just like the original Blade tactical vest.

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

Last edited:
What's up guy's, just finish the back-sword pad for the vest, along with the rope trim that run's around the outer edges of the vest.
Heres a pic

IMG_3156.jpg

Here are some more additional pics of the rope trim running through the outer edges of the vest, I tried searching for the same braided rope trim via the internet and various fabric stores and upholstery shops but had no luck finding same rope trim that was used in the movie. So, I improvise and made this rope trim, and this is as close as I'm going to get to the original rope trim. lol "hope you guy's approve?"

ORIGINAL MOVIE VEST REFERENCE PICTURE:

blade-torso.jpg

MY AMMO REPLICA VEST

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 1,062
Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, This vest has been very challenging and specially when it came to all the intricate stitching details.

Now an update.... in regards to the infamous Stubai buckles? lol

After being in contact with several Metalizing-Chrome companies, to find the least, coast affected way to chrome 5 buckles. The quotes that, I received ranged between $250.00 & $300.00, just about what, I paid for the 5 Stubai buckles.

Well...... thats a little bit to expensive for me, so I will find another alternative way to chrome these buckles.

Did some more research on these, "Tempered aluminum buckles with a black anodized finish". The buckles have been Powder Coated, which means that the aluminum has been covered with a polyester/epoxy powder, that was later heated to fuse in a protective layer around the aluminum.

Utilizing a paint stripper that you can find at Lowes or the Homedepot won't remove the powder coating around the aluminum. There are only two options in order to remove the powder coating without damaging the aluminum.

1. The buckles must be sent in to a powder coating stripper company where they will utilize some kind of a bath salt dip to remove the powder coating. " aweee...Trying to save money not spend money"

2. Took a gamble on my buckles and decided to sand down the buckles in order to see if can remove the (Powder coating lawyer) without damaging the buckles. In hope of reaching the natural stainless steel finish of the aluminum.

I'm happy to report that the sanding process of the buckles was a success.

These are the steps, I took in order to remove the powder coating of the buckles. I only saw the need to remove only the visible the side of the buckle. "Seeing that no-one will ever see the other side of the buckle".

Things You’ll need

Dremel Rotary Tool/ Model: 4000

EZ Lock Finishing Abrasive BuFFS- 180 & 280 Grit (2 in pack) pick up 5 packets if you will be sanding 5 buckles

80, 180, 230, 400, 600, 1000 & 2000 Grit

Mothers-Mag & Aluminum polish

A soft microfiber towel

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. The first item your going to need is a Dremel 4000, with attachment EZ lock Finish Abrasive Buff, grit 180. Once you have attached the abrasive Buff, your going to want to set the Dremel at a speed-setting of 15, “WARNING if set any higher than 15 you risk the chance of carving or sanding into the aluminum”.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=511E

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=4000#.VCJmO0tRrlI

2. In one hand take apart the buckle into two parts, and hold one of two parts in one hand and in the other the Dremel. Turn-On the Dremel and in a sweeping, back and forth motion begging stripping away the black powder coating. As you see the powder coating being stripped away you’ll notice that Abrasive Buff is leaving NO SCRATCHES WHAT SO EVER BEHIND. “Now that’s pretty cool”

It should take you about 15-to 20 minutes to completely strip off the powder coating on the two separate parts of the buckle. If you wish to do both sides just repeat process. 1 EZ lock Finish Abrasive Buff, grit 180 will sand two complete buckles. "NOT BAD FOR JUST 4 BUCKS"

3. The Dremel can't get in into some small sections of the buckle, so now use 80 grit to fully remove the buckle lettering etc, then finish off with 180, 230 grit wet & dry

4. Now attach EZ lock Finish Abrasive Buff 280 and repeat process all over again.

5. Wash the item in warm water and dish soap. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry with a soft
microfiber cloth.

6. Now use 400 & 600 grit wet & dry to remove scratches sand ONLY in one direction best if you sand horizontal

7. Wet sand using 1,000-grit paper and sand the buckle in only one direction best if you sand horizontal (not using circular motions). Sand small areas at a time, sand till you can't see scratches

8. Wash the item in warm water and dish soap. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry with a soft microfiber cloth.

9. Wet sand using 2,000-grit paper sand the buckle in only one direction best if you sand horizontal (not using circular motions). Sand small areas at a time. Continue sanding till no scratches are visible, at this time you should see a nice aluminum shine on the buckle. YOU ARE DONE SANDING...

10. Wash the item in warm water and dish soap. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry with a soft microfiber cloth.

11. Apply a small amount of aluminum polish compound to the buckle with a microfiber cloth. Rub polish onto the aluminum surface until black residue appears, buff off residue with a clean section of your microfiber cloth until the aluminum shine reflects a nice smooth-chrome like finish.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back