Bladerunner Theory: Deckard has Gaff's Memories

For sure that's an interesting take on things. We know according to the books (nobody hang me for reading them) that Rachel was based physically and mentally on Tyrell's real niece and it would make more sense to use already existing memories than to make them from scratch.

Gaff is a replicant, too.
How else could he fold those things so well?

Actually, I'm pretty sure Ridley said in an interview recently, everyone that appears in the movie is a replicant.

At this point i think Ridley's been replaced by a replicant whose movies aren't as good as the original's films lol.

That is a pretty cool theory, actually. Gaff is handicapped, and uses a cane. Probably can't go after replicants anymore. Maybe that's why he is breaking Deckards balls through the film. Jealousy, and resentment at being replaced by a replicant.
Mike

keanu.jpg

conspiracy-keanu-acthuman.jpg

Interesting theory. The only hole in that is I would think it would be difficult to implant memories into someone who looked different than their memories - it would be like waking up one morning, looking in the mirror, and you look completely different.

Personally I would keep it simple: Deckard is a replicant of Deckard - either killed in the line of duty or actually retired. Gaff used to be Deckard's partner (hense his knowledge of Deckard).

I guess the other possibility is the real Deckard was killed and they transplanted his memories into a replicant (maybe it's something they do for certain people - I bet Tyrell gets a replicant).

See? Isn't this speculation MUCH better than getting a prequel and having it all explained?

If I had one wish, it wouldn't be for world peace or for people on the Internet to take a minute to grok context before they spew idiocy, it'd be for everyone from Sir Rid on down to admit that if Deckard is a replicant, there is no emotional core to that movie.

Having a friend that worked heavily on Blade Runner, ins and outs, Ridley did indeed intend Deckard to be a replicant. Its not something that was black and white which is why people will argue it to death. Its also one of the main reason BR has become what it is as there is lots left for the viewer to interpret, discover and fill in. It was a film, not the bland formula dribble that has become movies of today.

On that note, I find a gaping hole in the guys write up:

"The replicants in Blade Runner know they're replicants. Except Rachael..."

Thats wrong. If memory serves they are never told what they are and regular, day to day human life isnt something they know of, are taught or follow. They are, just as Batty says in the movie, slaves. They serve a purpose and do jobs. The "new" experimental replicants are given memories. To add more "WTF?" to the mix, Tyrell is a replicant, he was filmed as a replciant. The parts that were never included with any cut of the film is the real Tyrell, and this is even in the Future Noir book and the filming script, is kept in suspended animation awaiting a cure for some disease. His condition is a complete secret for the sake of the control of the corporation. But, Darrel's other brother Darrel accidentally kills him while maintaining his suspended animation system. That job is why Darrel and his other brother Darrel have direct access to Tyrell in both human and replicant form. Batty, and I forget how, knows this. In the script prior to where Harrison Ford was involved and while Dustin Hoffman was still on as Deckard, Hoffman demanded parts of this scene be taken out. This was after Batty kills Tyrell, then he would go and kill his family. The ONLY reason he kills Tyrell is because he knows Tyrell is a replicant.

To sum it up, replicants do not know they are replicants. If this ends up the prequel story, ill be a happy man: Batty found out he is a replicant while on an off world colony base, banded together, organized an uprising and escaped with a handful of others. His plan isnt to save, free or exonerate replicants. His intention is for more life, screw everyone else as they are expendable although he obviously becomes close to the girls.

Huh? :confused

Who is Darrel??

If the replicants don't know what they are, then how have they come back to Earth seeking infornation on their actual model of replicant (they know they are Nexus 6) and explicitly seek out employers of Tyrell, and eventually the man himself, to extend their lifespan?

They know exactly what they are.

Thats wrong. If memory serves they are never told what they are and regular, day to day human life isnt something they know of, are taught or follow. They are, just as Batty says in the movie, slaves. They serve a purpose and do jobs. The "new" experimental replicants are given memories. To add more "WTF?" to the mix, Tyrell is a replicant, he was filmed as a replciant. The parts that were never included with any cut of the film is the real Tyrell, and this is even in the Future Noir book and the filming script, is kept in suspended animation awaiting a cure for some disease. His condition is a complete secret for the sake of the control of the corporation. But, Darrel's other brother Darrel accidentally kills him while maintaining his suspended animation system. That job is why Darrel and his other brother Darrel have direct access to Tyrell in both human and replicant form. Batty, and I forget how, knows this. In the script prior to where Harrison Ford was involved and while Dustin Hoffman was still on as Deckard, Hoffman demanded parts of this scene be taken out. This was after Batty kills Tyrell, then he would go and kill his family. The ONLY reason he kills Tyrell is because he knows Tyrell is a replicant.

To sum it up, replicants do not know they are replicants. If this ends up the prequel story, ill be a happy man: Batty found out he is a replicant while on an off world colony base, banded together, organized an uprising and escaped with a handful of others. His plan isnt to save, free or exonerate replicants. His intention is for more life, screw everyone else as they are expendable although he obviously becomes close to the girls.

Huh? :confused

Who is Darrel??

If the replicants don't know what they are, then how have they come back to Earth seeking infornation on their actual model of replicant (they know they are Nexus 6) and explicitly seek out employers of Tyrell, and eventually the man himself, to extend their lifespan?

They know exactly what they are.

Re-read:

Darrel and his other brother Darrel is the character of JF Sebastian. Back in the 80's the actor was on the Newhart Show as "Larry":
Larry Deryl and Deryl - YouTube

Good grief, I actually remember that now, didn't know it was the same actor, though :lol

I'm still not seeing where the original movie supports the idea that offworld replicants don't know what they are, though.

Re-read:

Darrel and his other brother Darrel is the character of JF Sebastian. Back in the 80's the actor was on the Newhart Show as "Larry":
Larry Deryl and Deryl - YouTube

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back