Blade Runner water gun project

Kwc271

Hello everyone,
I just acquired a blade runner water gun off of eBay and was wondering if you kind folks could answer a few dumb questions . First off, I plan on painting it to look like the one used in the movies. I remember reading some older threads on here and folks talking about how hard it could be to remove the grips as they were glued on. The one I purchased, the grips popped right off, and underneath,there is a solid grip. Is this the norm? Second, can anybody tell me what paint and color to use to darken and tint the grips so they have a more amber color? Third, does anyone have any recommendations on how to add some weight to the pistol without dissection? Thanks for any help you can give, this is my first attempt at a project like this. I gave $60 for this piece,which I thought wasn’t too bad considering about all of them sell for $90 on up, especially the ones with the orange grips. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• A1137403-73E7-47A5-9113-9881ECD06392.jpeg
    A1137403-73E7-47A5-9113-9881ECD06392.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
  • 070C0D15-ABD0-4599-B0D3-6F9EED259874.jpeg
    070C0D15-ABD0-4599-B0D3-6F9EED259874.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
  • CB9B7DF0-0793-4C7A-AE90-43A25EDA4C68.jpeg
    CB9B7DF0-0793-4C7A-AE90-43A25EDA4C68.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 154
  • 455A8A9C-655B-42E6-9570-AC1F14D6D99E.jpeg
    455A8A9C-655B-42E6-9570-AC1F14D6D99E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 163
I actually believe the colour of the grips to be quite close to what the real thing has. Most replica grips I've seen have been too reddish IMHO.
But the real grips are solid, and the gun frame inside is black - both things that reduce the effective brightness of them.

Thanks for the reply. What I’ll probably do then, is paint the grip black and then reinstall the grip panels on top. That will reduce some of the brightness.

Lead is your friend for adding weight to plastic pistols. ;) Lead (fishing) sinkers is the best way to go as you can get them really small so you can stack them into smaller areas of the piece.....but you'll have to open it up to get them in and placed them strategically.

Depending on your budget for this I found that replacing the plastic grips with actual resin ones felt so much better to hold and really sold the over all look of the finished piece.
these are expensive but if you shop around you'll probably find cheaper ones

I agree, those grips look great, and I bet they feel AWSOME, but my budget won’t let me go quite that far. Haha. I was going to bore out the muzzle of the blaster and add weight to the inside. Would that expanding spray foam add any weight if I were to use that? I believe it’s called “Good Stuff”.

I agree, those grips look great, and I bet they feel AWSOME, but my budget won’t let me go quite that far. Haha. I was going to bore out the muzzle of the blaster and add weight to the inside. Would that expanding spray foam add any weight if I were to use that? I believe it’s called “Good Stuff”.
No, ”Good Stuff” is rather light. Resin or plaster would be a better call imo.

If you use resin, I would suggest using something that has a slow cure time... When resin cures, it releases heat (an exothermic reaction)... If the resin you use cures too quickly, it will release a lot of heat and could warp / damage the plastic... Perhaps epoxacast 650 Black with slow harder 103... The long cure time means it will stay nice and runny for a long time, allowing you to both mix it thoroughly and pour it into the voids / nooks and crannies of the Blaster... And of course keep the temperature down... And I think the black color will work nicely to darken the base color of the blaster from the inside...

Maybe you could use both lead "shot" sinkers and epoxy resin to get some proper weight to the thing but without the weights inside rattling around.
Alternate between adding weights and epoxy to make sure you don't get any loose weight that would rattle.

There are 3D-printed nozzles to buy (see old thread): that would both add accuracy and act as a barrel plug after you've filled it.

Yeah be careful with resin, it will melt the gun if you buy the cheap stuff like castin craft. Even if it doesn't melt it, cheap resins could have chemical reaction to the plastic. I have used lead sinkers to add weight, but more often then not I use steel putty, or milliput to fill voids and it adds a very nice weight. You can get steel putty, or milliput on amazon and it's inexpensive. These are 2 part putties you combine them and they will have a slow set time. Usually I leave it overnight and it sets hard without warping or any odd chemical reactions, and most of your 2 part putties don't have fumes and are not caustic. The cheapo resins never really lose that chemical smell either.

You should just be able to cut the end of the barrel off. You don't really need to bore it out. Then you can pour liquid into it, or push putty in there to fill it.

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions! I’m looking forward to completing this build and showing it off.
Best advice I can think of is do a search on here for Fullcock.
Sounds bad I know but it will lead you to many threads and how to's.

This one in particular has a wealth of info:

Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
Nothing's wrong with the "Out-of-the-factory" look.(y) I would try to make the black parts shinier; the barrel could be helped by airbrushing a few coats of Molotow chrome and the Steyr part could be "blued";)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back