Blade Runner Voight Kampf machine

airhead

Sr Member
I have been thinking about building a Voight Kampf machine. I have looked around the web and found mostly screen caps and a few Syd Mead sketches of concept drawings. So, I thought that I would see if there are any other resources out there. I did come across the Morpheus13 site with a lot of pictures of their replica. Real nice looking machine.

Here's the screen cap front panel:

BladeRunner_Voigt-Kampff_machine.jpg

voight.jpg

I'm estimating the width at about 15", based on Harrison Ford's shoulders. I'll scale the machine accordingly. I'm thinking of some winky-blinkies and maybe a small real CRT for the eye screen :$

Any thoughts, or help, would be appreciated.

David

I do believe member Morpheus13's machine was 99% scratch built from blood,sweat, tears and sheet plastic.

Terrific determination and a great replica.

So that really pretty much means he didn't use a bunch of found parts or score a blueprint that I've heard.

Thanks for the compliments guys :)

It was all scratch built but painfully inaccurate. There isnt much reference on the unit out there unfortunately, just alot of screen captures. Also, once you start pouring over the captures you'll find a major snag; there were actually two different props which are vastly different. Both are used in the scene.

I wish I had more to share but unfortunately I dont at this time.

Yep. A bunch of great shots of the during and after. I'm hoping that I can come close. :rolleyes

I just would love to see that arm move up and the "eye" sensor roll over on its own....

I didn't know if there was any help out there on dimensions.

db

...and I never made any drawings. I just built it as I went along. When I first built it, alot of people were contacting me for plans etc but I never made any so many went away mad like I was hiding it or something.

Originally posted by morpheus13@Mar 9 2006, 09:43 AM
...and I never made any drawings. I just built it as I went along. When I first built it, alot of people were contacting me for plans etc but I never made any so many went away mad like I was hiding it or something.
[snapback]1202291[/snapback]​

Hey don't feel bad. The guy who MADE the actual machine doesn't even remember anything about what was used. Apparently some of the parts are found items, but not many. A lot of it was scratch built and it was done in just over a day.

Originally posted by micdavis@Mar 9 2006, 06:30 PM
Hey don't feel bad.  The guy who MADE the actual machine doesn't even remember anything about what was used.  Apparently some of the parts are found items, but not many. A lot of it was scratch built and it was done in just over a day.
[snapback]1202325[/snapback]​

yeah...Ive heard that myself ;)

Sounds like a project that a number of folks have in their sights. I'm hoping to have mine finished by 2019 :lol ...maybe I can beat that by a little. I'd be interested in any progress pictures and will post mine, when I have some.

db

Originally posted by Kris@Mar 9 2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.swstartours.net/vk
[snapback]1202316[/snapback]​
This is the page Kris generously created for me as a teaser for an upcoming collaborative effort to build the ultimate "hero" VK machine replica. I even secured a web domain for the future project:

http://www.voightkampfftest.com

Use the up & down arrows to read through the film's opening scroll and the project's mission statement.

But in the meantime I discovered that John (spinner44.com) was many months into his own project, so after considerable discussions we decided to join forces. At this time, I have no plans to create a separate website at the above link since John already has a good head start on his, but we may eventually link the sites together to get more visitors or use one or the other for better key word recognition.

Look for my upcoming 3D CAD contributions in John's thread and project website. :)

I haven't been this excited about participating in a prop replica project in a very long time. :love :thumbsup

- Gabe

I figured that there had to be some activity out there. I'll be interested in the priliminary CAD dwgs, when they are available. Time to start digging through the boxes of stuff. It looks to me like a pneumatic lift for the arm, possibly operated by the pulley and wire, where the wire is played out, releasing the lift cylinder spring and extending the top part of the arm. I think that the wire and pulley could also be raising the arm, using the same cyliner spring action. The top "eye" looks to be rotating with a small motor in the assembly. I have seen inion-type gears very much like the circular frame of the "eye", but don't have one in front of me. I'm thinking that the two small monitors are essentially static displays, with a rear projected shadow on the right screen. Like I said, I think that it is doable to have a real color monitor with an image of an eye, but that's way down the road for me, at the moment :lol .

I have considered this to be one of the more interesting BR props, maily because it hasn't been done to death. I hope that I can contribute to the effort.

David

I know I'll be watching the ongoing projects closely. I'd love to build up my own Vk machine. It would be great for when I have company over. As long as I don't ask anyone about their mother.... :eek

WOW,

This has always been a holy grail of a prop for me. Started drawing one once, after I talked to one of it's builders, but gave up do to lack of info. They slap-dashed it together, and had no idea it would be such a big deal.

Plans would be great.

A kit would be better...

:D

Originally posted by airhead@Mar 9 2006, 01:44 PM
I figured that there had to be some activity out there.  I'll be interested in the priliminary CAD dwgs, when they are available.
David, considering the significant investment of time and resources into this project, no blueprints or plans will be made publicly available, but I'll be posting some isometric perspective views of the work-in-progress machine and its components in the project thread and website as the project moves forward. :)

I hope that I can contribute to the effort.
Send me an e-mail to proprunner@aol.com and we'll discuss.

- Gabe

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back