Blade Runner Spinner Project

Aegis159

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey All.

Hey I can't remember whether I ever posted any shots of the spinner project I finished a while back for a fellow board member, so I figured I'd throw them up now.

This was definately a major undertaking. The spinner started out looking like this POC...

...which was pretty bad. The fellow board member started the task by stripping it of all of the paint and poorly modeled parts, and then gutting the interior (note that the center console in this next pic isn't actually attached)...

...and then got the pieces and parts to me. He also decided that he wanted to model the spinner in ground mode which also meant the front wheelwells had to be opened up. No worries I thought. Riiiiight...........

Well after what took longer than either of us thought it would take (which is my fault, as other things kept diverting me from the project) I was finally able to finish the thing.. In the course of finishing the spinner I found that it was actually very warped on the top, so I had to rebuild one side of the body. I also had to find any and all types of reference material that showed both the interior of the in-cockpit shooting set, and the front tire/wheelwell suspension system... not easy to find believe me... and I'm still looking for more.. At any rate, the vehicle in the end isn't 100% accurate to any of the filming miniatures or the fullsize ones, but I think it has a nice amalgum of them all. The interior color is also off but I think it still looks pretty nice.
I also decided to build a nice street scene base for it, including a neon sign. The sign could both hold a solid color or even blink, which looked great. Unfotrunately, he didn't like the translation of the sign, so I'm rebuilding it as we speak, hehe.

At any rate, here are some pics of the piece. Enjoy.

EDIT: ok for some reason when I transfered the images to the machine I'm on they were corrupted, so I only have 2 pics to upload now. I'll upload more once I get home this evening. Sorry for the holdup..

more pics later tonight...

oh and a big thanks to Imageshack..

That's beautiful work, Aegis. :eek And even more impressive knowing how the model started out.

I like what you've done with the diorama display, particularly the neon signs and the scale newspaper hanging from the rim of the barrel.

You might be interested to see this 1/43-scale Spinner diorama, currently being designed by a company in Japan called Monster Egg and marketed under their label "Invisible Studio":

Invisible Studio 1/43 Police Spinner

If you click on the top picture, you'll see more shots of the 1/43-scale diorama.

Although they've got it up on their site as if its ready to ship, the model is actually still being designed. In fact, it's been in the preorder stage for almost three years now. I'm hoping it will be released before 2019. :p

Very nice work indeed.

What are the origins of the kit, looks a bit like my Anubis/MiM spinner, that was also warped, but across the bottom.

Sorry for the hijack but does anyone do or can do a replacement canopy for one of these, mine is very mishapen?

looking forward to see in more pics.

cheers

Jon

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Love that spinner kit temponaut. Hehe too bad I can't read japanese, and even worse that the kit isn't available. Let's hope it's sometime soon as I know I would definately want one....

Originally posted by 28injection@Jan 27 2006, 05:03 PM
Very nice work indeed.

What are the origins of the kit, looks a bit like my Anubis/MiM spinner, that was also warped, but across the bottom.

Sorry for the hijack but does anyone do or can do a replacement canopy for one of these, mine is very mishapen?

looking forward to see in more pics.

cheers

Jon
[snapback]1169881[/snapback]​

Well while the origins of the kit aren't 100% known, I'm positive that it was an Anubis/MIM kit that someone who didn't know what they were doing recast. The warpage was pretty bad, it was almost like whoever was pouring the mold set it on it's side before it hardened. Plus the thing was solid resin.. So you can imagine how heavy the thing is..
While I didn't geet all the warpage out, I was at least able to align the windscreen once I built up the drivers side body. And speaking of the canopy, that is a MIM one on it, or rather two canopies as I had to get a replacement one because one of my cats decided to play with one of the doors as it was on my workbench, and thought that it and the floor really needed to meet :angry ;) So I had to get a replacement one from MIM...
...which is what I suggest you try to do if you can't get the warpage out with some heat....

Anyway, here are some more pics...

Here's also a couple pics of the base. I had to build it with transporting in mind as it was traveling from one side of the states to the other.

Originally posted by Aegis159@Jan 28 2006, 10:15 AM
Love that spinner kit temponaut. Hehe too bad I can't read japanese, and even worse that the kit isn't available. Let's hope it's sometime soon as I know I would definately want one....
If you checked out the pages devoted to the 1/43 Spinner on the Monster Egg site, you probably noticed that the model is designed to convert from ground mode to flight mode and to have working doors and airflaps. When the kit first went on presale almost three years ago, it wasn't going to have any working parts. Subsequently, Invisible Studio decided to create what they hope will be a "definitive" Spinner kit, with lots of working parts, which has led to the repeated postponement of the release date. I hope it will be worth it in the end. (When the release kept getting pushed back, I thought at first that I might have been ripped off and that the seller might suddenly disappear, but later learned that Monster Egg has a longstanding and excellent reputation.)

Thanks for posting the additional pix of your diorama. The more I see it, the more I like it. :eek That vintage coke machine is a beautiful touch. Very appropriate to the atmosphere of the film. And that tangle of pipes... great stuff.

Awesome looking diorama. I like the 'grungy' feel to it.

On a side note, does anyone know where I could find a set of the police lights for a Medicom-sized Spinner? I've done a conversion (paint job and decals), but have no idea where to get a set of lights for the roof.

Eric

That is truely a stunning piece - I especially like the open the doors and the diorama. Excellent done - captures a nice feeling from the movie

Tobias

Originally posted by superjedi@Jan 28 2006, 11:59 PM
On a side note, does anyone know where I could find a set of the police lights for a Medicom-sized Spinner? 
Try GRS Microlighting. They stock special effect lighting (rotating gumball beacons, lightbars, etc.) in a variety of sizes.

GRS Microlighting

Good site there Tempo...

I've got another spinner in the works as well, this one being my own, that I'm lighting all up. I've pretty much gone nuts on the interior, chopping most of it up to do the lighting. and after getting this other sign done I'm hoping to start back in on my own spinner.
For alot of the exterior lights I'm using flasher and strobe light kits from both Tamiya and an R/C company called Ram. they've got all kinds of light kits as well, although their rotating beacons and strobe kits are more designed for R/C aircraft so I'll definately be looking into possibly swapping these out with something from this microlighting website...
For the interior I'm using a combination of lights... anything from your standard grain of rice bulbs, fiber optic line, to lightsheet material. I think I'll be reassessing some of it though, like the red and blue neon thats in the interior... since I've started my spinner there have been alot better options to come along for getting the neon look and are more bright than the lightsheet wire so like I said, I'll have to reassess all of my lighting needs....

Oh and btw, if anyone has ANY kind of reference shots of the interior of the vehicle, specifically the flying interior shot spinner mockup PLEASE send them my way..

Originally posted by Aegis159@Jan 29 2006, 02:11 PM
Oh and btw, if anyone has ANY kind of reference shots of the interior of the vehicle, specifically the flying interior shot spinner mockup PLEASE send them my way..
Here ya go, Aegis. :D

{EDIT: IMAGE REMOVED TO FREE UP GLOBAL SPACE.}

I have some other shots for you, but I can't get them to upload... :cry

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

Why? The file size for one grab is about 105 KB. Is that too large?

-EDIT- Ah, here's the problem:

Attachments
Global Space Left: 54.2k

Gimme a little while. I'll see if I can reduce the file size...

I've removed some of my photo posts from other threads, freeing up more global attachment space. :D

Now... where were we?

[attachmentid=6298]

[attachmentid=6299]

[attachmentid=6300]

[attachmentid=6301]

Hope this helps, Aegis.

{EDIT: IMAGES REMOVED TO FREE UP GLOBAL SPACE.}

Hey thanks for the pics Tempo....

although I have all of those already ;)

I'm looking for really obscure shots anymore, I've got all of the standard fare ones from screenshots and whatnot. I've also got the Dokuhon book but it mainly deals with the ground spinner which has a different interior.

Hehe I've even enlisted the help of two of the largest BR fans out there to help me find pics.. and believe me the amount of pics is very slim.

It amazes me that there is such a lack of images of the interior of the closeup flying mockup.... either that or someone is sitting on a stack somewhere...

Originally posted by Aegis159@Jan 31 2006, 03:16 PM
Hey thanks for the pics Tempo....
although I have all of those already ;)
Should've known... :$

I'll snoop around some of the Japanese BR sites and see what I can find. But I'm guessing if a pic's in general circulation, you probably already have it in your library. You couldn't have built up the Spinner in this thread without some pretty good reference material already in hand. :D

Hi all

i bagged this on ebay last week, not sure of the manufacturer, wondered if anyone could help I.D it. Its 1/35 apparently, and 6" long, castings not the greatest but id like to accurize a few areas, limited on spinner knowledge but ill get there lol, and light it up, but i gotta lot of parts ill need clearcast really.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/ral.../spinner003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/ral.../spinner002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/ral.../spinner001.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back