Blade Runner revisited: Deckard's lamps

Prop Runner

Sr Member
Hey guys.

Thought I'd take a break from my adventures surrounding the Han Solo blaster and Obi Wan saber discoveries and revisit MY favorite movie of all time: BLADE RUNNER.

A few months ago, our tireless Blade Runner archeologist and researcher, Nick Daring, graciously shared with us his latest (public) discovery: the art-deco Dazor "Flying Saucer" lamp that rested on Deckard's piano and against which his sepia-tone family photos and sheet music were leaning. This is the lamp that provides such warm, fuzzy light to the intimate scene where Deckard first makes a pass at Rachel.

Well, I went ahead and hit eBay until I finally found a terrific specimen with the correct vertical stand, and my friends, it's a thing of beauty... :D Practically in MINT condition, and the saucer-arm linkage simply uses cantilever friction to remain at whatever height on the post that I set it to - the nylon bearing in the linkage has a slightly oversized inner diameter, thus allowing some forward tilt that permits the post to capture it.

Here is the lamp as seen in the movie and below it is the one I just received, with a sample of my other BR found-item props and replicas that I've accumulated over the years:

dazor_1.JPG

br_dazor_1_rpf.JPG

The saucer section (sorry, Trek fans - don't know what else to call it ;) ) flips upside down so I have the option of diffused or direct light. The metal section has a removable pinhole grating that allows replacement of the 60-watt bulb, and the other side is an opaque spun-fiberglass diffuser that has yellowed slightly with age but still gives off a wonderful natural warm yellow-orange glow:

br_dazor_2_rpf.JPG

br_dazor_3_rpf.JPG

br_dazor_4_rpf.JPG

br_dazor_5_rpf.JPG

Now that I have this lamp, I got an urge to see what other lighting Deckard had in his dark, smokey apartment. I was amazed to have found no less than 8 additional models that appear to be found items. I've positively identified one, as you will see below:

lamp_2.JPG

I can't tell if #2 is a floor-standing Torchiere or a table-top Torchiere with some sort of illuminated 4-sided base.

lamp_3.JPG

#3's a monster: 4 wrought iron legs and most definitely art-deco.

lamp_4_1.JPG

#4 appears to be an executive desk lamp of some sort.

lamp_5.JPG

#5 could have been custom-made for the film, but they remind me alot of 60's style minimalistic Italian design. They might even be mounted upside down.

lamp_6_2.JPG

If I didn't know any better, I'd say #6 look like they're mounted to a headboard of a bed - otherwise, why would there be two?

lamp_7_1.JPG

#7 is likely another 50's or 60's vintage desk lamp.

lamp_8.JPG

#8 is the only Deckard lamp I've been able to positively ID so far (I haven't really tried with the others yet, but searching for "saturn lamp" paid off on the first try (a real no-brainer - but after sifting first through dozens of GM Saturn tail light assemblies :lol ) Frikkin EXPENSIVE though, but thankfully not too rare...

And finally...

lamp_9.JPG

#9 leaves me scratching my head. It's either custom-made for the set, or it's some kind of funky light-art statue that I'd guess is psychadelic 60's era or possibly 30's art-deco. Reminds me a lot of those cheasy alien computer monitors seen in the TOS Trek episodes... :lol Good frakkin luck to me and anyone else IDing this one. :p

Well, there you have it, Blade Runner fans. Deckard's pad had no less than 9 lamps, one-third of which were never on during the movie. There's one recessed lamp built into a Frank Lloyd wright tile alcove, and another one above the sink in the kitchen, but that was obviously part of the set design or built into the range hood (stove ventilator). I didn't bother with the bathroom light. ;)

I'd be grateful if anyone could help ID lamps 2,3,4,5,6,7, and 9, and feel free to discuss this and any other Blade Runner set pieces, like this little bronze chicken:

chicken_rpf.JPG

Hopefully Nick can get his pics restored to the wonderful Blade Runner "Web of Props" thread and the two can then be merged and archived.

Thanks a million candlight power to Whackychimp for hosting these enlightening pics. :D :thumbsup

- Gabe

Pretty cool.

Laying the props out unde the lamp adds to the display,
and to any visitors who ask, they get a heck of a story.

I wouldn't even know what search words to use to find that,
so Kudos to you.

And I'd agree that Lamp 8 is the one you have pictured.

This thread is very illuminating... ;)

Seriously though I am going to have to start hunting for the 'Saucer' lamp next year as I really like it.

Thanks Gabe for shedding some light on a new and fascinating subject. :D

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Oct 20 2005, 09:00 PM
I'm unworthy of, yet de-LIGHT-ed by your praise... :D

- Gabe
[snapback]1100642[/snapback]​

Nonsense my good Man. You are a Beacon of Info. :)

The Saturn Lamp is actually reproduced by a guy but in the wrong color scheme. A google search finds it pretty quick and believe I have the link in the WebO Props Thread.

Lamp 7 on your list is one I found a while ago and was gonna be my next reveal.

It's a saucer lamp made by a lighting company called Lightolier.

c0_1.jpg

7e_1_b.jpg

P1010119.jpg

Here you can see they used the head in a floor model as well as a desk version.

I've only seen a couple go up on Ebay and wasn't willing throw the 100 buckarros to pick it up. It only shows up at the end for a couple shots.

However, I've always wanted to spend a little time and figure out Lamp 3. It's a really nice looking lamp and prominently featured in the film.

Good hunting. It's nice to have help and not to many people care about this stuff to drive up prices (other than true Art Deco collectors who have DEEP pockets).

I have a couple more reveals left but I'm running out quick. Not much left in this movie to figure out. I do however need help with a couple objects that I haven't been able to make head or tails of. I'll try to post about those at some point in the future.

Nick

Oh yeah, I've looked for the Bronze/brass Rooster/Chickens before as well.

Boy there are a lot of Bronze/brass Rooster/Chickens to sift through on ebay. Never found the right one. I sculpted one that has made my little brain happy though for the time being. I figure I'll just probably run across it one day perhaps.

Nick

Nice lamp, Gabe.

What kind of blaster is that in the holster?

I recently picked up one of Coyle's Metal BR Blasters and was thinking about getting that holster for it.

Nice find on the lamp.. I've got a few nice metal shade deco's, but none that match. Maybe that's not a chicken but Vaucanson's duck. Where did you get your "precious photos" Are they under the paper prop thread??
BR fan,
Jayn

The two specimens marked Lamp 6 remind me of Japanese paper lanterns... they don't actually look like they're a part of the bed, but as if they're hanging from the overhang on the top of the bed post...

KD, you're having a pretty damn good week, mate. :D

Thanks for the heads up on the duck.

Nick - great find on the reading lamp and thanks for gracing my thread with it. :) Which other saucer-lamp are you refering to that you discovered - the floor lamp with 4 posts, or the torchiere agaisnt the wall behind Rachel?

- Gabe

SONOVA... GAWL DANGIT... A Freakin DUCK....

sigh...

Thanks Killdozer and Jayn for the duck lead.

Rassin frassin Duck.

Nick

Prop runner-
Oh yeah, I only found the Lightolier Lamp. Typo/bad wording has been fixed.

Originally posted by Lamb of Zod+Oct 21 2005, 03:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lamb of Zod @ Oct 21 2005, 03:32 AM)</div>
Nice lamp, Gabe.

What kind of blaster is that in the holster?

I recently picked up one of Coyle's Metal BR Blasters and was thinking about getting that holster for it.
[snapback]1100695[/snapback]​
[/b]
Hey Lamb of Zod - Welcome to the board. Nice to have a new BR fan among us. Just don't expect any of us to kneel before you... ;)

That is in fact a Coyle C&S version II I believe - purchased before the metal parts were introduced and the butt plate mods and new LED discoveries. When I have some extra cash I'll upgrade to Rich's newest version. The holster was offered way back when by philippes. I don't believe he has any left to sell but perhaps he might revive interest and see if a new batch can be done.

<!--QuoteBegin-Jayn
@Oct 21 2005, 03:40 AM
Nice find on the lamp.. I've got a few nice metal shade deco's, but none that match. Maybe that's not a chicken but Vaucanson's duck.  Where did you get your "precious photos" Are they under the paper prop thread??
BR fan,
Jayn
[snapback]1100698[/snapback]​
The photos were offered regularly a few years ago on eBay by a BR fan/graphic artist by the name of Ben Mund - not a member of this forum. Not sure why he stopped selling. He also offered Deckard's sepia-tone family photos, various Deckard wallet items (ID, vid-phon, apartment key, future cash, etc. - all fantasy, or at least none of it screen accurate), various decals, patches, license plates, and fantasy replicant dosiers. I sent out an e-mail to his last known address and hopefully he's still around. If he's still dealing in BR ware, I'll post his contact info. If anyone would like to have PDF files of his old catalog, please PM me with your e-mail address.

Oh, and since the duck is out of the bag, and surely by now some of you have scoured eBay and found a few of these, I'd appreciate if everybody lets KD post what they are exactly - they have a rather unique background, to say the least. :) Also, if it's not too much to ask, please don't bid over someone who's an RPF member, whether it's on the ducks or one of the lamps. There seem to be plenty of these to go around, and if you missed out once, excellent chances are you'll see it again. My lamp, for instance, ended in zero bids, and the seller was kind enough to sell it to me for the original starting bid rather than relist it. Since then I've seen 3 others of the exact same model, all in excellent condition. If your eBay ID doesn't match your RPF handle (mine does), consider posting it here to alert others. I really hope common courtesy prevails if people plan on acquiring these. I guess I'm asking a personal favor from everybody in the Blade Runner Brotherhood, and I'd be grateful if you honor my request. If not for my sake, ask yourselves:

"What would Deckard do?" :lol

Thanks,

- Gabe

Yeah, a duck. :)

Just looking at the screencap and the overall shape and posture (and the bill) told me that much. Every once in a while, I look on eBay for those little goose- or swan-neck items in Ben Kenobi's hut, so I knew they have a metalware>animals category. Well, the ducks weren't there, but they weren't far off. "Bronze duck" gives you what you want.

And they're not uncommon, apparently, but they come in different sizes, and they're genuine antiques, so 1) they may be expensive, depending on size, condition and rarity and 2) they are handmade, and from different countries and foundries, so no two are going to be the same.

So what are they?

Opium Weights is a fancy name for an ancient weight system
which has been used in Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and south China (Yunnan Province). The usage of this weight system can be tracked back to before the 12'th century, and officially stopped when the British banned it in late 19'th century. The weights occur mostly in shape of beast and bird weights and were made using the lost wax method. Besides the beast and bird weights, which can be dated in a chronological system, special weights sculptured to resemble fish, horse, elephant, cow, rat, tiger, garuda, turtle, spider, naga, deer and other animals and even humans have been made.
The weights was used weighing all kinds of commodities, smaller weights for expensive goods (opium, gems, gold, silver, ambergris etc.), bigger weights for inexpensive commodities (vegetables, fruits, hides etc.). The weights weigh from about 1 grams (1/16 of a tical) to 16 kilograms (10 viss), however most weights are found in the range from 80 grams to 320 grams. The smaller and the bigger weights are rarer.

The duck is proabably 18th 19th C. They all have different markings on the side of the bases (stars, birds, etc), and different postures. The smaller ones would not have a space between the legs. Unfortunately, they are classified in ancient weight terms, so unless you know your tical from your viss, I think you'd have to see one in person to know.

The good news is that these ones appear to come pretty cheap. Check Google, lads. You'll find what you want.

My work here is done. B)

KD

Thanks for the info on the photos. I'd LOVE to get my hands on them. (I still refer to my own pics as "precious photos" : ) ) As for the duck, I should've known it was a weight. (I have a lion & an elephant) The duck symbolism is relevant to that set. Google Vaucanson. A duck was one of the very first
"replicants".
Jayn

No sweat - I hope Old Ben is still alive...

Maybe I should rename the thread "Deckard's Duck," seeing the direction it's going in. ;) Seriously though, in the name of Nexus, please dedicate every spare minute not spent working, driving, answering nature's call, or providing the bare minimum of attention to your families or significant other, and make an all-out effort to ID the remaining 6 lamps...

Now with the weekend at hand, you have no excuse to procrastinate, so hop to it, little people. :D

- Gabe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back