Blade Runner PKD resin blaster (WIP)

Farrellk08

My latest acquisition of Sci-fi weaponry is a Blade Runner blaster, a resin kit I picked up on the electronic bay. The seller's description said that they had picked it up a while ago, but had never gotten around to finishing it. It didn't mention where it was purchased from in the first place. I was able to get it relatively inexpensively due to it being unpainted, most likely. It came a few days ago, and I was pretty happy with the quality.

image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpeg

The one thing that I can see that is out of place is this little bit here is obviously a screw, while on the film version it's a little different ( I have no idea what it's called).

image5.jpeg SK001 - Copy.jpg

Maybe someone can identify its origins from that, I don't know. Anyway, I finally got around to putting a base coat of semi-glass black down today:

image6.jpeg

My plan is to use silver Rub 'n Buff for the metallic parts, which I'll do over the next few days ( I work weekends, so I'll probably just have time to do it a little bit per day).

I'll update when it looks a little nicer.

In the film it was very likely the slot head screw you see on the kit, at least most of the film. When the hero prop resurfaced they had at some point replaced the screw with a knob from a Weaver rifle scope. Not sure if it was done during filming or not, but in at least one scene we see the screw instead. It comes down to personal preference.

Andy

Ok, so this is after about an hour and a half of taping and carefully applying Rub 'n Buff, then I had to call it quits for today. I think I'm going to have to figure out a better way to apply it than using a q-tip, since there are a lot of small nooks that I need to get a better coat on. Then I need to decide what color/paint I want to put on the grips.

IMG_1439.JPG

It's been a while since I've posted, I've probably been spreading my attention a little thin on a few projects. Anyway, on the PKD blaster front, I've painted the grips a standard brown color that I've used on grips before, as I don't have any experience painting to look like wood grain. I have no idea how I would have even approached the idea of painting it to look the film version grips, so I didn't spend too much time before I threw that idea out the window.

IMG_1450.JPG

I have to say, I'm debating painting the barrel with a different color, as the Rub 'n Buff is quite a bit more shiny than I'd like. For the butt plate it works well for my tastes, as it appears to be something like chrome, but the barrel is more of a stainless steel. If anyone has any tips on how to make it look a bit more like standard metal, I'd be very appreciative.

blade-runner-deckard-hero-pistol-movie-prop-profiles-in-history-2009-01.jpg

I'll have to give it some thought, but unless I can figure out how to make the Rub 'n Buff look more tarnished, I'll probably end up painting over it.

Which would be a pain the the ass to tape over the rest of it to cover it up. Also, finding a good metallic paint has been a pain in my ass for a while.:lol

Update: So I did repaint the barrel & trigger guard in a "Gun Metal" paint, and I'm happy with the results. It looks a lot more like what I'm aiming for, just very "clean". I may try and dirty it up, to look more used/aged, but for now, here's where I'm at:

IMG_1450.JPG
Previous

IMG_1471.JPG
New

I bought a Marco Enterprises Blade Runner Gun and I asked
Richard Coyle about the grips he told me that if I paint the grips
silver and then paint them with a transparent amber they would
look more accurate.
Just a thought
Mike

look more accurate.
Just a thought
Mike

Did you end up doing that? I would be very interested to see how that would turn out.

look more accurate.
Just a thought
Mike

IMG_1561.JPG

I did end up trying the transparent orange over silver paint method,and here is the results. Thoughts?

I'm wondering if orange over chrome paint would give a better result, or even work out. Did you end up trying the method yourself?

I went ahead and painted the grips with Rustoleum Metallic Finish, which takes two days to fully dry. I'll post again in two days, after it dries and I've put a coat of the transparent orange on top of that.

Ok, so here is a side by side comparison of the transparent orange over silver vs the transparent orange over chrome:

IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1564.JPG

The chrome is a little lighter in color, but that may just be due to the little Tamiya spray can of transparent orange running out, so I may go out and grab another can. Right now it looks kind of gold to me.

Last edited:
Ok, new comparison with a second coat over the chrome:

IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1565.JPG

The chrome makes it shine more, but whether or not it makes it look more accurate/better is debatable. However, it does look better than the standard brown that I had on there before.

So, I put a little tape on the grips around the "bolts" so I could clean them up and make the chrome come through, and...

IMG_1570.JPG

Fun.

Had to take the entire side of that grip back to chrome. Gonna take a little break from this today, its starting to get on my nerves, with all the taping and painting I'm going to have to re-do.

IMG_1571.JPG

Last edited:
Short of cutting the grips off and replacing them with proper amber one's I think its going to be a struggle. That said, with the silver base you've got, try and acquire some orange and rust glazes and try them because they will let the aluminium silver in from below. If you build it up slowly you will probably find that you get a good alternative and then a good layer of gloss rattle can varnish would finish it off nicely.

Overall a good blaster. I hope that you find a way to finish it off to your satisfaction.

Best
MARK

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back