Blade Runner Offworld Inc Blaster- All Metal - my first build

dcast

Hi everyone,
This is my first post...I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction. I recently purchased my first Blade Runner blaster. I was looking around to find a verision that was reasonably priced that I might be able to Mod or change out parts over time. I chose the M2019 Offworld Inc blaster. What I didn't realize was the gun I purchase was based on the 38 special size of the Bulldog (undercover) and not the 44 caliber like the movie version. So after my purchase, I realized my mistake and thought I could have some fun moding with a combination fabricated and real parts. (On a quick side note I have ordered a Tomenosuke - Retailer version which should be arriving in the next couple of weeks). Anyway, back on subject, I have been looking around for any metal parts to replace the mostly plastic ones on the blaster. I was curious if I could tap the hive mind of RPF and see if anyone is making some of the parts I need. I am finding some from actual 38 size parts from various places..but still having a hard time finding the following in the correct size for the blaster.
I have hoping to replace the following
- plastic receiver end
- plastic bolt handle
- plastic chassis/frame - current one is cracked
- plastic side chamber covers
- also hoping to replace the original resin grips with something nicer
Thank you for your help in advance...and look forward to posting some pictures as things progress

Here are some of the parts I am working with. I have picked up the cylinder covers from Rich, but they will take some adjustment. Same with the locking lever and the receiver end. I could manipulate some of the parts but would rather not...Rich's work is great but still meant for the 44 chassis. Also, I gave purchase a metal handle frame and cylinder from a real Charter Arms undercover revolver. So still hoping to find some castings meant for an Offworld.
IMG_0074 (1).jpg

There used to be someone out there making upgrade pieces for Off-World models but as demand dried up they stopped making them. I have a metal outer grip frame, trigger guard, and butt plate for mine. I still see a listing for a metal bolt slide and end cap on that big auction site. That's all I remember ever being available officially for the Off-World kits.

(On a quick side note I have ordered a Tomenosuke - Retailer version which should be arriving in the next couple of weeks).
Wow where did you find them in stock? I've been looking for the better part of a year with no luck except the resin kits.

eBay will be your friend. Try also surfing around with a VPN, I've found more blaster bits on EU eBay than the US eBay, for example.

Started on working with my father's machine shop to build some parts. It's a little slow going since I am also learning in process with my father. So far we have made up an steel barrel and a we are halfway through making up an aluminum side sight. I have also have a friend working a milling out an outer handle frame out of aluminum. Here is some of the stuff we have made up so far. It's been fun doing working up the drawings and measurements to make everything. These are all still works in progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7347.jpg
    IMG_7347.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 109
So finally finished the site rod. It only took 3 "tries" to get it right...lol. Hoping to start working on making of the bolt soon...just figuring out how I want to do the end rod and attach it to the bolt. I been fun...and definitely a challenge since this is my first attempt at working with a mill and lathe. Luckily, I have someone to bounce questions off of to figure things out before I start working my new cuss word vocabulary....:0P

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 130
That rod is a pretty sophisticated bit of machining, looking really good. Great that you can apprentice in the context of making your own project!

Thanks, I'm a little nervous about making the bolt since there are so cuts and angles on the shaft. But, while I'm waiting for the next time I'm in the machine shop. I got my wax molds of rear cap of the receiver, the chassis, bolt lever. Needing to remove any flashing, injection lines, and unwanted blemishes. Unfortunately, the casting company is gonna be busy for the holiday season so it might be a while before I get the casted parts till January. That will give me some time to work on the other pieces in the shop. :0)

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
Thanks, it's been a fun process. I just received the parts, in white bronze, they came out perfect. ( thank you Charles). I just have to clean off some of sprues and do some light sanding of the surface. I attached a picture of the black plastic pieces next to the cast bronze parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 104
Whoa, this is going to be exciting! The melting point and hardness here is much higher than some of the other alloys currently being cast and will definitely show in the finishing. This could really mimic steel. I just blew a frontal lobe capillary ~

I have cleaned off the parts and checked to see how they fit....and they turned out perfect. I have decide to cast the cylinder, side cylinder covers, trigger guard, bolt in white bronze also...so guess I'm going all in. I am curious if anyone knows where I can find STL files for offworld grips or someone that makes quality grips? I have included a couple of shots of the cleaned up parts below.

Attachments

• 69465399820__5AB81594-6F66-4BEE-A841-E67FA768BE4C.jpg
    69465399820__5AB81594-6F66-4BEE-A841-E67FA768BE4C.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
  • 69465403803__889F4DE3-5D3F-4DAD-AF63-055AB717B8B5.jpg
    69465403803__889F4DE3-5D3F-4DAD-AF63-055AB717B8B5.jpg
    967.6 KB · Views: 87
So I just dropped off the bolt, steyr front, both side covers, Cylinder, and trigger guard off at my uncle's...so looks like most everything is gonna be metal on this thing. Might take a couple of weeks to get everything done. Also we tapped the chassis for the screws. Here's what I have so far, they are coyle triggers, Cylinder, crane, and cylinder release are Charter Arms, Receiver back , bolt latches, and chassis are all caste in white bronze, Aluminum sight rod, brass bolt tip, and the steel barrel we made in shop. The binding post and weaver knob are from Tiptop workshop on Etsy...( nice workman ship). I'm planning on cutting off the plastic "knobs" and put those in place of them. So far everything is coming together pretty well. I do have some binding with the cylinder in the chassis, but hoping to machine that down in my father's shop. Fingers crossed...if not...I'll have the original one cast in bronze....not much of a size difference...but it's there.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
Any updates ?
sorry, been busy with "life stuff", but I do have a couple of updates, I have cleaned up and returned the wax casts back to my uncle to have him cast those parts into white bronze( side covers, trigger guard, receiver bolt, and the cylinder (just in case). I'm sure he'll cast those in the next week or so when he has room to fit me in to his workflow. Also, I had a little time in the shop today, we were calculating that there was a 2.2% shrinkage for the chassis causing the oem Charter Arms cylinder to bind. So I need to do some measurements on where I want to trim down the inner parts of the chassis. Hoping to create a little clearance to use the Charter Arms cylinder. Also we started working on drilling and taping the outer handle for the handle butt plate.

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
sorry, been busy with "life stuff", but I do have a couple of updates, I have cleaned up and returned the wax casts back to my uncle to have him cast those parts into white bronze( side covers, trigger guard, receiver bolt, and the cylinder (just in case). I'm sure he'll cast those in the next week or so when he has room to fit me in to his workflow. Also, I had a little time in the shop today, we were calculating that there was a 2.2% shrinkage for the chassis causing the oem Charter Arms cylinder to bind. So I need to do some measurements on where I want to trim down the inner parts of the chassis. Hoping to create a little clearance to use the Charter Arms cylinder. Also we started working on drilling and taping the outer handle for the handle butt plate.
Nice equipment

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back