Blade Runner Inspired Office Build: Deckard's Apartment

Trooper_trent

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been working on a special project for a while now and I'm excited to finally share it with you all. For the past few months, I've been planning and renovating my home office to look and feel like Deckard's apartment from the original Blade Runner movie. Blade Runner is my all-time favorite film and I've always dreamed of having a space that feels like it. I envision dim lighting, a glass of whiskey, concrete tiles and soffits, electronics and computers placed around, and that iconic whirring sound you hear throughout the movie. Something about the art deco, film noir aesthetic feels cozy to me, so I wanted to capture that as authentically as possible in the small space I have.

As some of you may know, I recently sold off my entire Star Wars collection. This was for several reasons, including a job change where I am on camera a lot (lightsabers and helmets in the background has shown to be pretty distracting), some burnout from all the new movies and TV shows being released, and my wife's recent diagnosis with Multiple Sclerosis. We've been focusing on de-cluttering and simplifying things at home to make our environment more Zen and spending more time together. My office was filled to the brim with Star Wars props and helmets. And while I loved collecting those items, I have also been extremely happy to see them passed on to others who will enjoy them as much as I have.

First, here’s what my office looked like before.
_nc_ohc=bN6x-OMPPGAAX8W1505&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

I still wanted to have a nerdy office but rather than just put everything in display cases, on shelves, and on the wall, I wanted each prop and piece to have their own place to live in a more natural environment. This is a rather ambitious project for me so I have been taking my time and doing lots of planning. I finally started construction on it 2 weeks ago so I’ll update the thread as I make more progress on it.
Here are a few screencaps from the movie that show different elements that I wanted to incorporate into my build.
1672628208262.png

1672628220021.png

1672628231552.png

1672678609480.png

1672628250198.png

1672628264640.png

1672628377689.jpeg

1672628274933.png

1672628297700.png

1672628328991.png

1672628342635.png

Most people here probably already know this set was based on designs from the Ennis house in LA designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It’s been featured in many movies and tv shows such as The Rocketeer, Karate Kid III, Game of Thrones, The Thirteenth Floor, and a ton more.
1672628405082.png

Ennis_House_front_view_2005.jpg

5B549491-4827-4D99-845E-501BA87F4E60.jpg

Here are some 3d mockups I did to get an idea of what I wanted to do, estimate supplies and building materials, and plan it out before committing to anything. I wanted to include as many different features of the set as possible without it feeling too cluttered. I knew I wanted to have a column since they’re seen all over the apartment so I included one in the back corner where I knew I would have the space. And I especially wanted to feature a piano with the various lamps, photos, and unique items laid out since I've played piano my whole life. Unfortunately I can't fit a grand piano like Deckard has so I'll need to make due with a small studio or console piano.
_nc_ohc=08ZqJFMr-fwAX_8Tkel&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=_ULjdn-GDS0AX8pYUVt&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=1TcEO3ptXCEAX8iymL9&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=xB3zc07aHYAAX9pvHoY&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=OMtIqYo0GtQAX-QQpCt&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

X-8lmHm&tn=mhBt9It-Os-hhwbx&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

wagGNmMl9fLpXkdMPEWFaDJ24uE&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=hBdbvA6bO8UAX8htnt3&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

I even imported the model into VR so I could virtually walk around in the room to be sure it’s what I wanted before beginning construction.
Here's the 3d mockup if you want to take a look

Construction:
I’ll use this thread to dive into details of the room build as well as the many props and pieces that will be integrated into the office. I’ll likely do individual posts on certain pieces as I finish them and introduce them into the office.

To begin, I cleared everything out of my office and said goodbye to years of collecting Star Wars props. It was bittersweet to say the least but exciting to be beginning a new project.
_nc_ohc=Z8isYjCy96cAX94etr8&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

First thing to do was the framing. 1x3s were used and then the whole thing was skinned with birch to make the soffit and the column.
1672629088338.jpeg

1672629116317.jpeg

1672629124627.jpeg

1672630523741.jpeg

1672630543085.jpeg

1672630560822.jpeg

1672630570903.jpeg

I went ahead an hung the upside down 70's Panasonic TR-535 tv/radio so I could get it in position before hanging tiles. Special thanks and shout out to Halliwax for making me some amazing custom brackets to mount it to the soffit securely. Thanks brother, you're so freakin' talented.
1672630591258.jpeg

Next came the iconic downlighting. I chose a smart dimmer connected to my Alexa, so I can have them fade up and down with voice. The idea is that the whole office will be automated and "come alive" by voice command. The lights will eventually be covered by Ennis tiles with an L shape cut out of them as seen in the movie. I've got frosted acrylic on the way to install into the tiles that should diffuse the light nicely.
1672630070661.jpeg

1672630083882.jpeg

To go with the lighting, I installed two black glass touchpad light switches. One for the main light that I'll be replacing with a faux skylight and the dimmer for the downlights. The thought here is to create something like the panel seen in the elevator to his apartment. So I’m in the middle of designing a similar looking panel.
1672630628371.jpeg

_nc_ohc=oOgqBwK3_0MAX-4cuOe&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.png

After the lighting was installed, it’s finally time to start hanging tiles! I thought long and hard about this part, and this is the step that has me the most nervous. I wanted to cover the entire office with Ennis tiles and the blank concrete squares but I can’t possibly pour hundreds of those out of real cement. Way too heavy and just not feasible. I thought about making them out of EVA foam or maybe having them milled out of MDF but decided against it because I wanted it to look and feel more authentic. Then I stumbled across Kropserkel’s website where he sells vacuum-formed full sized replica Ennis tiles!
1672631797863.jpeg

They weren’t cheap but they looked fantastic and would be super lightweight and easy to use. For the blank tiles, I searched and searched for weeks and one day finally stumbled across these perfectly sized 16x16 rubber paver tiles at Home depot designed for outdoor patios! They have a brick pattern on one side but are flat on the back. PERFECT!
1672631828755.png

The rough rubber texture is an almost exact match for poured cement / brick tiles! The plan is that once it’s all hung and painted, I’m going to go at the tiles with a Dremel to pit and scar up the blank tiles in random places to give it that rough look.
_nc_ohc=iWQnOeWZchQAX84xLhs&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

First row of Ennis tiles done! Pre-measuring the entire room, marking for even spacing, and coming up with easy, reliable mounting methods was a LOT of work. Thankfully the mockups I did in 3D helped a ton for making sure everything would line up correctly.
1672630907423.jpeg

1672630914065.jpeg

1672630920230.jpeg

Then I added tiles all the way down the column to set my horizontal spacing.
_nc_ohc=n7-IohBhGKIAX_uG4LB&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

And here’s where I am today! The back wall is fully tiled and tomorrow I’m starting on the East wall. So far so good!
1672630982958.jpeg

1672630992453.jpeg

That's it for today! I'll be back soon with more updates! Let me know if you have any questions, ideas, or feedback!

Last edited:
Great project :cool: :cool: I wouldn't say goodbye to the clutter since there's a lot of that in Blade Runner and Deck's apt.:lol:
As other have mentioned; the columns could've been used for hidden storage;). Also, concerning a design feature: the Ennis tiles could've been placed directly under the overhang instead of the black tiles. The Ennis tiles on the left hand side of your pic should be replaced by the black ones; therefore, you'll have a lot of spares to put under the overhang on the other wall. My two cents, of course; you should be commanded for tackling a very difficult set/decor. I whish you and your wife plenty of courage and strength in those difficult health challenges!

Great project :cool: :cool: I wouldn't say goodbye to the clutter since there's a lot of that in Blade Runner and Deck's apt.:lol:
As other have mentioned; the columns could've been used for hidden storage;). Also, concerning a design feature: the Ennis tiles could've been placed directly under the overhang instead of the black tiles. The Ennis tiles on the left hand side of your pic should be replaced by the black ones; therefore, you'll have a lot of spares to put under the overhang on the other wall. My two cents, of course; you should be commanded for tackling a very difficult set/decor. I whish you and your wife plenty of courage and strength in those difficult health challenges!
Yep, I should say intentional / organized clutter ;). Regarding the tiles, there are many different variations of placement seen in the apartment film set, from ennis tiles directly under the soffit, to a double soffit, to blank tiles on top of ennis tiles, to ennis tiles all the way down. If you check out the mock-ups I tried to do each wall differently so that it’s not the same everywhere and has examples of every configuration shown. I liked the idea of having it all be asymmetrical to add to the “cave” feel. The left and right walls will have a row of ennis tiles at the top and the front wall will have a partial soffit, half with blank tiles under it, and half with blank tiles all the way up without a soffit.

Last edited:
Next up is THIS GUY!
1672678839328.jpeg

This strange looking magnifier screen prop can be seen all over the apartment as a background prop and even in Cpt Bryant's office at the beginning of the film. There is absolutely no info on the in-universe purpose of this device but because of the magnification lenses and the one scene towards the end where there's a blue image on a loop projected on it, it appears to be some kind of microscope / DNA sequencing /serial number/replicant identification machine LOL! Regardless, I thought it was way too cool not to include it in my office.

Here are some screen shots of it throughout the movie and behind the scenes documentaries
1672679179086.jpeg

1672679194005.jpeg

1672679234095.png

1672679246150.png

1672679261020.png

1672679274335.png

From the reference material and lots of digging by several amazing internet sleuths and myself on the PropSummit Facebook group, it was determined that this prop was made from several found parts including a Bang & Olefsen Beomaster 1700 sound mixer,
beomaster1700aa.jpg

the handset from a contempra phone (same one used on Deckard's home vidphon prop),
1672679477384.jpeg

a polaroid SX-70 Sonar camera,
image_8d01a78c-3fbd-4031-a9f9-5418b9455c5c.jpg

a Braun T3 (domino) table lighter (this lighter is also seen in Chew's lab and the fish scale lady scenes and is part of Deckard's Esper unit),

il_fullxfull.3555888762_qa52.jpg

and 3 80's Braun brand travel clocks placed upside down on top of the Beomaster.
2 of these,
ab101dailyicon.jpg

and one of these.
il_570xN.3631563641_fhl9.jpg

The screen appears to be a custom piece made from 1/4" plexiglass with 2 fresnel lenses applied (I located the vintage brand used and found the correct sizes)
1672680121418.jpeg

and finally I needed an 8 digit 7 segment display. I wasn't able to find the real part that this came from but that's ok because I wanted to accurately recreate this number including the missing segment on the 4 in the last digit. Plus I wanted to program it to do more than just light up. So I searched and searched and finally found an arduino compatible 8 digit 7 segment display that was the correct color and dimensions.

the screen is trimmed with gold vinyl pinstriping and there are black "circuit trace" designs done in black vinyl pinstriping of the same width.
using overlays and comparing to the known parts like the fresnel lenses, I was able to design and get precise measurements for the screen.
1672680044230.png

I had the screen laser cut at my friend's shop. HUGE shout out to Rebelscum for cutting it for me, and for all the tips and tricks, feedback, and advice on this and many other builds over the years. Philip is such an amazing guy with a wealth of knowledge on fabrication. I am so fortunate to live so close and to be able to call him a friend.

Next it was time to figure out how to program the numeric display. I never thought I would have to learn how to reverse engineer hexadecimal codes so that I could intentionally "break" the numbers for the sake of accuracy.
Current 7 segment numeric digits are slightly different than what was used on this prop back in the day. One main difference is that the 6 and 9 have "tails" where as the screen used one they had straight stems
1672685154353.png

vs
1672680194326.png

Once I figured out how the hexcode worked to individually turn on/off each segment, I swapped out the existing ones for new hexcodes to make the numbers look the way I wanted. I also made an alternate "4" with the broken segment. I made a quick little macro in excel to help make the process easier
1672681813140.jpeg
1672681491782.jpeg

Once I got this far, it was simple enough to write a loop animation of various flashes and sequences to give this thing some life. None of it is accurate or canon of course because the screen used prop only ever displays that single number, but it does frequently pause on this number for a while during multiple parts of the animation. There are also two red LEDs that light up the viewfinder of the polaroid and the T3 lighter so I included those in my arduino sketch to blink and flash at different points in the animation loop.
1672681714093.png
1672681753301.png

At this point it's just a matter of putting everything together.
The screen has a slight curve to it so I put my plexiglass in the oven for a few minutes to allow it to curve, then I added the pin striping, fresnel lenses, and 3d printed a housing for the numeric display and wired it all up.

By the way! If anyone here can read Japanese Kanji I would love to speak with you in an effort to make this writing seen above the numbers more accurate. I literally typed "view screen" into google translate and just made decals because I have no idea what those characters actually are. But I have some decent reference material if someone who can actually read it could help identify the characters.
_nc_ohc=6KSrA6Z4WagAX-rYJ2T&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

And here is the finished piece! I've coined it the "Beoscreen" since it's built on a Beomaster sound board. I have not seen anyone else complete a build of this prop so I THINK it's the first of its kind. I am still waiting on one of the Braun clocks that took forever to find. But it's on its way.
_nc_ohc=jr3WGb1lh2MAX_lhsae&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

X9EIfIm&tn=mhBt9It-Os-hhwbx&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=vGsclP345wAAX9n_-Dl&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

and here's a little bit of the "boot up sequence" and animation loop I filmed before I did the final wiring

Last edited:
Next up is THIS GUY!
View attachment 1653461

This strange looking magnifier screen prop can be seen all over the apartment as a background prop and even in Cpt Bryant's office at the beginning of the film. There is absolutely no info on the in-universe purpose of this device but because of the magnification lenses and the one scene towards the end where there's a blue image on a loop projected on it, it appears to be some kind of microscope / DNA sequencing /serial number/replicant identification machine LOL! Regardless, I thought it was way too cool not to include it in my office and I don't think anyone has ever replicated this prop so here we go!

Here are some screen shots of it throughout the movie and behind the scenes documentaries
View attachment 1653463
View attachment 1653464
View attachment 1653465
View attachment 1653466
View attachment 1653467
View attachment 1653468

From the reference photos, it was determined that this prop was made from several found parts including a Bang & Olefsen Beomaster 1700 sound mixer
View attachment 1653485
the handset from a contempra phone (same one used on Deckard's home vidphon prop)
View attachment 1653469

a polaroid SX-70 Sonar camera
View attachment 1653486
a Braun T3 (domino) table lighter (this lighter is also seen in Chew's lab and the fish scale lady scenes and is part of Deckard's Esper unit)

View attachment 1653487

and 3 80's Braun brand travel clocks placed upside down on top of the beomaster
2 of these
View attachment 1653488
and one of these
View attachment 1653489

The screen appears to be a custom piece made from 1/4" plexiglass with 2 fresnel lenses applied (I located the vintage brand used and found the correct sizes)
View attachment 1653471

and an 8 digit 7 segment display. I wasn't able to find the real part that this came from but that's ok because I wanted to accurately recreate this number including the missing segment on the 4 in the last digit. Plus I wanted to program it to do more than just light up. So I searched and searched and finally found an arduino compatible 8 digit 7 segment display that was the correct color and dimensions.

the screen is trimmed with gold vinyl pinstriping and there are black "circuit trace" designs done in black vinyl pinstriping of the same width.
using overlays and comparing to the known parts like the fresnel lenses, I was able to design and get precise measurements for the screen.
View attachment 1653470

I had the screen laser cut at my friend's shop. HUGE shout out to Rebelscum for cutting it for me, and for all the tips and tricks, feedback, and advice on this and many other builds over the years. Philip is such an amazing guy with a wealth of knowledge on fabrication. I am so fortunate to live so close and to be able to call him a friend.

Next it was time to figure out how to program the numeric display. I never thought I would have to learn how to reverse engineer hexadecimal codes so that I could intentionally "break" the numbers for the sake of accuracy.
Current 7 segment numeric digits are slightly different than what was used on this prop back in the day. One main difference is that the 6 and 9 have "tails" where as the screen used one they had straight stems
View attachment 1653500
vs
View attachment 1653472

Once I figured out how the hexcode worked to individually turn on/off each segment, I swapped out the existing ones for new hexcodes to make the numbers look the way I wanted. I also made an alternate "4" with the broken segment. I made a quick little macro in excel to help make the process easier
View attachment 1653483View attachment 1653478

Once I got this far, it was simple enough to write a loop animation of various flashes and sequences to give this thing some life. None of it is accurate or canon of course because the screen used prop only ever displays that single number, but it does frequently pause on this number for a while during multiple parts of the animation. There are also two red LEDs that light up the viewfinder of the polaroid and the T3 lighter so I included those in my arduino sketch to blink and flash at different points in the animation loop.
View attachment 1653479View attachment 1653480

At this point it's just a matter of putting everything together.
The screen has a slight curve to it so I put my plexiglass in the oven for a few minutes to allow it to curve, then I added the pin striping, fresnel lenses, and 3d printed a housing for the numeric display and wired it all up.

By the way! If anyone here can read Japanese Kanji I would love to speak with you in an effort to make this writing seen above the numbers more accurate. I literally typed "view screen" into google translate and just made decals because I have no idea what those characters actually are. But I have some decent reference material if someone who can actually read it could help identify the characters.
View attachment 1653490

And here is the finished piece! I've coined it the "Beoscreen" since it's built on a beomaster sound board. I have not seen anyone else complete a build this prop so I THINK it's the first of it's kind. I am still waiting on one of the Braun clocks that took forever to find. But it's on its way.
View attachment 1653491
View attachment 1653492
View attachment 1653493

and here's a little bit of the "boot up sequence" and animation loop I filmed before I did the final wiring
I had to have missed this in the “behind the scenes chat” holy crap that is wicked!!

You nailed that man!!

Keep up these great posts that go into the prop Origin and history, I love learning about these things!

This is so, so slick. Just wondering when it’s finally wrapped if we might drop by for a intimate smoke, whiskey and courtesy Voight-Kampff test? just sayin’
Absolutely! Last night I got the automation setup with my alexa and when I activated it and the blinds went down, the lights went off, the downlights faded up, the monitors and computers started up, the whirring sounds and Spinners flying by outside, and the Vangelis "Blade Runner Blues" soundtrack theme faded in quietly, it was very surreal and exactly what I'd hoped it would be. I'm trying to wait to pour a Johnnie Walker Black in my Cibi double until it's done. haha. We'll see if I can hold out that long.

Thanks! It's kind of a clunky item so I'm not exactly sure where it's going to live in this small office, but I'll make it work. haha.

Today I tacked up the tiles on the east wall. (don't worry, the wonkiness is a byproduct of my phone's panoramic feature. it's perfectly straight in real life)
_nc_ohc=eF6nLkJ6hp0AX9-E1l1&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

And my buddy hdtheater just surprised me with a sneak peak at the 3 tier pedestal I commissioned him to build. He built it lightning fast and it looks incredible! Another huge shout out to Eric for building it for me. I can't wait to see it in person!
_nc_ohc=4qrv-7YlKxoAX9VPIPp&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.png

A nice cozy spot to put my wooden Rhino and a few pieces of paper. :)
1672702814887.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back