Blade Runner - I don't get it, why is it good?

I imagine the revelation to Batty that his creator is the ultimate disappointment created a heightened emotional state.

I was thinking about this earlier today. Batty comes all the way back from outer space to find out that his Creator is a creepy looking old guy with coke-bottle glasses who lives alone in a penthouse and plays chess over the phone in his pajamas with another creepy looking guy who lives alone with disfigured toy versions of replicants. And his Creator can't help him. How much of a let down is that?

I was thinking about this earlier today. Batty comes all the way back from outer space to find out that his Creator is a creepy looking old guy with coke-bottle glasses who lives alone in a penthouse and plays chess over the phone in his pajamas with another creepy looking guy who lives alone with disfigured toy versions of replicants. And his Creator can't help him. How much of a let down is that?

I see a parallel in Prometheus, where David is delighted to watch humans become disillusioned in meeting their creators.

Yeah, I loved Prometheus too. I think it compares well with Blade Runner in a lot of ways.

*Grabs Popcorn*

This I've got to hear. Maybe the replicants who got fried in the electrical field were the ones carrying the anti-electrical field belts. They make such a fuss about how awesome the gear works but when they actually get to the field itself which they are completely aware of, they forget to turn their belts on.

I personally love the book it's based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip P. Dick. I live the movie by its self but when you compare it to the book it's a horrible adaptation of it.

I personally love the book it's based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip P. Dick. I live the movie by its self but when you compare it to the book it's a horrible adaptation of it.

Agreed. Inspired by really. They kept a few core themes. Deckard becoming basically an inhuman killing machine. But the "andys" were hard to care about at all. Where as the films replicants you do care about.

There is an argument for a remake or rather a book accurate film.
But I think most folks would be really turned off by it. Too hardcore but it would be incredibly cool to fans of the book.

Dune is the same way for me too. I get the premise, I understand what's going on... But it's just so BORING. There's good story in there but the presentation is so dull that it kills it.

I like the book also, but find the movie much more interesting. It raises more themes and questions imo.

Dune is the same way for me too. I get the premise, I understand what's going on... But it's just so BORING. There's good story in there but the presentation is so dull that it kills it.

tumblr_lgxjm6wFVq1qf7r5lo1_500.gif

...... I'm really trying to watch the whole thing, but I just don't get why everyone likes it.

Not everyone likes the Blade Runner movie.:eek
Not everyone likes strawberry icecream.:rolleyes
I don't like Blade Runner... I love it! :love (except the original 'voice-over' narration version:unsure).
It's an experience. :behave

I'm 21 and I love the movie. I love cyberpunk stuff like Tron etc.; basically any movie that has that used 80s sci-fi look and BR is pretty much THE archetype cyberpunk movie.

The art direction, the props, the sets, the costumes, the mood, the production design, the cinematography, the lighting, the set dressings, EVERYTHING VISUAL in the entire movie is just simply beautiful and awe-striking. The amount of detail is extraordinary as well and everytime I watch the movie, I see more and more new things than I did last time.

When I first watched it, I thought it was boring and stupid but my friend reintroduced me to BR several years later and I just fell in love with it.

That being said, it's an art movie and there are a lot of problems with it acting-wise and pacing. I always laugh when JF's "toys" come in to greet him back home or when Ford delivers a line woodenly or when Deckard makes this face:

270567_2263631717291_4630490_n.jpg

:lol:lol

I think in a discussion like this, it's important to distinguish between "good" and "entertaining." Often the two overlap, but you may still watch a movie that you don't particularly ENJOY, but which you recognize is well-constructed.

So, why is Blade Runner "good"?

Well, visually, it's stunning. I mean, even if you find the film boring, you can't deny that it's impressive to look at. Syd Mead's design, the art direction, all of it. It's visually very impressive -- doubly so, considering it was made in 1982 and (in my opinion) still holds up visually. In many ways, it also set the standard for cyberpunk and visions of an urban dystopian future where you DON'T have some post-apocalyptic wasteland. So, it's "good" in that sense.

The story itself is also, in my opinion, interesting as a concept, and the film at least TRIES to really pose and struggle with questions of humanity, identity, emotion, etc. It's high-concept sci-fi. You may still find it boring, but you can't deny that at least it isn't just "I dunno. Some movie about a dude who kills robots and stuff. Oh, and it has flying cars." It's ambitious and tries to be the best that sci-fi can be. It filters fundamental questions of humanity through the lens of the fantastical to help us explore those questions, and even if you don't find it particularly ENTERTAINING, I'd bet most folks would still say "Yeah, but it's not just big dumb action sci-fi."

To me, those are important reasons why it's "good" as a film. Citizen Kane has been referenced a few times in this thread. Even if the subject matter doesn't grab you, even if you find the presentation of it BORING, you can't deny that the film is well MADE, and is important in terms of film history and the development of modern cinema. I tend to think that, within science fiction as a genre, Blade Runner is....close to the genre's Citizen Kane.

Blade Runner was a big-budget high-concept science fiction film. It differed from the cheesy low-budget stuff that had come before, and it wasn't a big-budget excuse to showcase robots and flying cars. See, highbrow sci-fi -- sci-fi at its best, in my opinion -- filters important questions through the lens of the fantastical. It explores concepts by placing them in a fantastical setting. The setting is the vehicle for the conceptual exploration. Lowbrow sci-fi, by contrast, takes the setting and makes THE SETTING ITSELF the point. In that case, the story is just an excuse to have robots and flying cars show up. Lowbrow sci-fi can be plenty entertaining, but it's essentially fluff. It doesn't really do any heavy lifting.

Ultimately, the same is true of any genre product. You can have "lowbrow" horror, like, say, Resident Evil or Return of the Living Dead. Or you can take the SETTING of the zombie apocalypse, and use it as a vehicle to explore human nature, as with The Walking Dead. With one, the setting is an excuse to have zombies eat people and get shot in the head. With the other, the setting is a method by which you watch how people respond to an apocalyptic scenario, and explore their human nature (particularly in contrast to the mindless, reflexive zombies). One's an excuse to showcase Tom Savini's F/X work. The other's a vehicle to watch, say, a character slowly go insane from the pressures of the harsh new world in which they live, especially after witnessing so much death.

As for whether any of this stuff is ENTERTAINING, well, that's a matter of viewer taste.

I love blade runner, but I have one big gripe. It is way too short, it should be three hours at least in my opinion. I just wanted to see more of the world.

Solo4114 put it best.

On the basis of story, themes and acting BR is good, but not exceptional IMO.

What's left is the visuals, design and music. The film is probably the finest integration of cinematography, design, music and effects I've ever seen. On a purely sensual basis the film is a flawless work. It remains an unparalleled film EXPERIENCE and, for that reason alone, remains one of my favorite films of all time.

For me BR is not even that great on an intellectual level. I know of many, more intellectually stimulating and complex movies than BR. But on a sensual level BR is a gem like no other.

IMO the only way to appreciate this is to view it in a movie theater. Nowadays when we're accustomed to watching movies on the flatscreen at home (or on PC). We tend to view movies causally accepting peripheral distractions, commercials and snack breaks while googling stuff on your laptop. In the latter setting you will never experience the requisite immersion to fully appreciate BR. I will even go further and say, there's an entire generation of folks, who are so accustomed to viewing movies while multitasking they don't have the attention span to engage their senses 100% into a 2 hour movie. For them the experience is lost.

So it's not a film for everyone.

I also take exception to folks who say BR is dated or that it only has nostalgic value for those who viewed it in the 1980s. BR remains one of the most visually beautiful movies ever made. Time and time again folks in sci-fi have aspired to create movies and effects that had the same sensual resonance as BR but, to date, they still can't even come close. Just ask anyone in the industry. One of the reasons was in the insane amount of meticulous labor and care that went into crafting some of BR's most iconic scenes. It takes an unreasonable degree of work, insight, resourcefulness, time, stubbornness and creativity that can only be marshaled by a singular, technically proficient, perfectionist engaged in a relentless labor of love. And that is rare.

Why is this movie good?

It has Rutger Hauer, Edward James Olmos, Harrison Ford, Sean Young, The late Brion James(one of my all time favorite Villains), Darryl Hannah.It also has a Voight Kampf.

I guess it was the SCi-Fi style of the time, maybe the same reason I like the Dune Film so much, I was 12 at the time , so I remember it as an alternative to Star Wars, to me it wasn't so much about the content itself but the romantic feel to it, there weren't much Sci-Fi movies at the time you could fantasize with.Rutger Hauer as the tragic main Villain and his need to be human is what made this movie great for me, also the background and the very unique SCi-Fi style itself together with the early eightees feel.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back